PDA

View Full Version : E38 cant disable VATS

minytrker
May 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
I just put a 6.2 out of a escalade in a 1980 suburban with a th400. I had Speartech make me a standalone harness for the engine. Got it all in and went to fire it up after changing everything in the pcm to run it and no luck. Called around and talked to Speartech and they said I needed HP Tuners that EFI couldnt make it work. Well after a day of trying I ended up getting HP Tuners just to disable VATS and what you know, it fired right up. I was told that I was the 3rd person to call about this when I was calling around trying to figure this out.

It really sucked to use a $99 credit just to disable VATS since I have unlimited E38 in EFI.

GAMEOVER
May 22nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
I just put a 6.2 out of a escalade in a 1980 suburban with a th400. I had Speartech make me a standalone harness for the engine. Got it all in and went to fire it up after changing everything in the pcm to run it and no luck. Called around and talked to Speartech and they said I needed HP Tuners that EFI couldnt make it work. Well after a day of trying I ended up getting HP Tuners just to disable VATS and what you know, it fired right up. I was told that I was the 3rd person to call about this when I was calling around trying to figure this out.

It really sucked to use a $99 credit just to disable VATS since I have unlimited E38 in EFI.

Are you serious? HPTuners made it work...:confused::confused::confused:
EFI Live couldn't....

GAMEOVER
May 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Do you know why or what would keep EFI Live from working?

minytrker
May 23rd, 2009, 02:22 AM
Are you serious? HPTuners made it work...:confused::confused::confused:
EFI Live couldn't....

Yep, affraid so.

Blacky
May 23rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Did you apply the vats patch and perform a full flash?
Regards
Paul

GMPX
May 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Called around and talked to Speartech and they said I needed HP Tuners that EFI couldnt make it work.So what they are saying is EFILive users can't use GenIV's in conversions - Stupid comment.

It really sucked to use a $99 credit just to disable VATS since I have unlimited E38 in EFI.Maybe you should have posted here first? Of course we can disable the VATS on the E38.

May 24th, 2009, 02:30 AM
So what they are saying is EFILive users can't use GenIV's in conversions - Stupid comment.

Maybe you should have posted here first? Of course we can disable the VATS on the E38.

How?

I am thinking of doing one so now would be a good time to tell

Thanks

minytrker
May 24th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Did you apply the vats patch and perform a full flash?
Regards
Paul

yes

minytrker
May 24th, 2009, 03:46 AM
So what they are saying is EFILive users can't use GenIV's in conversions - Stupid comment.

Maybe you should have posted here first? Of course we can disable the VATS on the E38.

I didn't have time to waste. This forum is great but it isnt the fastest at getting response's alot of the times. Another shop that does lsx xwaps said they had the same problem with efi, and they now us HP.

Its not only VATS that has to be disabled, something else with starter disable, dont remember off top of my head. In efi it even says it can't disable vats on e38.

GMPX
May 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Guys, I have personally assisted with 3 E38 and 1 E67 Gen-IV conversions here with a local shop, each of them in to a non GM vehicles.They all run fine, so please, if anyone is telling you that EFILive cannot bypass the VATS in the E38 or E67 it's because 'they' don't know how to do it.
Please show me where in EFILive it says it can't disable the VATS on the E38.
If it didn't crank at all then it was not a VATS issue, you needed to disable the clutch / PN switch check. The ECM should have thrown a DTC for that too.

427, the conversions I assisted with, it's a simple process. Follow the description in the VATS calibrations. Just change the VATS to a specific type, apply the VATS patch, change the clutch switch setting depending if you have one fitted (or it won't crank).
The problem is the E38 / E67 did not have a global VATS disable like the LS1 PCM did, in the E38/E67 you need to apply a patch to the OS to force it to pass the VATS check. This is no different to what HPT or LS2Edit would do.

Lorenz, I know the forum can be a little slow to get responses, the time zones don't help with our Saturday being on your Friday it might seem like ages before you get a response.

Cheers,
Ross

minytrker
May 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Im in the middle of moving everything from SC to TX when I get to TX I will post the tune before and after where the EFI wouldnt allow it to start.
It would spin over but the injectors would not fire.
Did the exact same thing with HP and it fired right up.

GMPX
May 24th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out when it's posted.

Cheers,
Ross

wait4me
May 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I disable VATS on a daily basis for these controllers. EFILive has always worked flawlessly. I just follow the directions it has in the help and it always works. Full flash is needed, then it starts right up.

69camaro5speed
May 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I been though the vats with e-38, done a stand alone on engine dyno took me little bit to figure out ,under vats g1210 description second line down this is what it says (There is no defined VATS disable in this ECM)then after that (to disable VATS you must select either Type 2 or Type 3 from this list and apply the VATS patch to the operating system)after reading that i was confused,thinking do i just set it to type 2 or 3 when i do the patch and not turn p1204 off because theres no need,after trying 20 or more flashes i got it going trying differant settings,with what i have now it starts like its lurning vats some times takes 3 trys to start and turning ign. off waiting but it works after first start it would start fine but doing tuning changes wasnt fun.i am thinking theres a better combination of setting to make it work i was so happy after 2 hours that it ran i just put up with it and got job done,(just engine dyno testing)i know how it is when you need to get some thing done and there is problems, i try not put my self in that postion but it happens,like say guy flys in from 2000 miles to see his motor dynoed or car run and i am doing my first e-38 sd tune,no way will i set my self up for that but some times things happen and it does,efilive rocks but some times things are confusing on how it needs to be with me reading that i still dont know how you pick from setting 2 or 3 i also turn the lurning vats stuf low thinking that may have helped get it going, but i have a not give up untill its done aditude thats kills my home life lol,on the next one i do i will try some stuff to see if i can make it start eazyer after a flash

Chevy366
May 25th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I disable VATS on a daily basis for these controllers. EFILive has always worked flawlessly. I just follow the directions it has in the help and it always works. Full flash is needed, then it starts right up.
Jesse , can you tell us the procedure you use in detail , 2 or 3 ?

GAMEOVER
May 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Jesse , can you tell us the procedure you use in detail , 2 or 3 ?

X's(2) Please.......

GMPX
May 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM
The idea behind selecting Type 2 or 3 is that takes the ECM code on a path that will end up where the patch gets applied. So once it gets to the point in the code where the VATS has failed (for type 2 or 3) the patch then bypasses the failure and forces a pass.

minytrker
May 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Jesse

One of the guys I spoke with said he ran into the same problem I did, He said he even sent you the pcm and it would still not work, he then did what I did in HP and it started right up. Is it possible it doesnt work on certain OS or something?

Chuck CoW
May 28th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Recently, I had a similar problem. While I've prepared many spare ecms for different year vettes with no problems, recently, I had 2 failed attempts on an 09 ZO6.

After almost $200 bucks wasted shipping back and forth to the customer, I'm not sure of how to proceed.

I don't completely disable it, but I prefer to change the parameters to cause it to "re-link" with fewer tries and shorter waiting periods.....

The check engine light on my bench harness continues to flash indicating that the pcm has never started an engine, so I'm sure it hasn't worked for him.

The pcm is actually in the correct year corvette so the clutch stuff is not a problem.

This customer just wanted a spare ecm.

Chuck CoW

GMPX
May 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Jesse

One of the guys I spoke with said he ran into the same problem I did, He said he even sent you the pcm and it would still not work, he then did what I did in HP and it started right up. Is it possible it doesnt work on certain OS or something?
Can't rule that out Lorenz, do you remember what OS it was?

odd boy
May 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
the procedure is here

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10957&highlight=vats

gmh308
June 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Any further feedback on this "issue".

We use EFILive to do the VATS patch and no problem so far. Some OS's dont start the first "key on" cycle, and seem to require a "key off" then on again to start, but they then work. :)

v8vegaman
July 19th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Hey guys, I have been reading about this because I am working with a E38 on a 58X truck engine. I have tried to remove the VATS all sorts of ways to no avail. As I read this i'm kind of getting freeked out. Someone says install "THE PATCH", someone else says just follow the proceedures outlined in the VATS portion, someone else sais look in the "HELP" menue for the proceedure and patch.. OK I am slow on the uptake so please xplain it like a 6 year old could reprogram a E38. I have the P/N and Clutch items shut off in the DTC table, I have changed the VATS type to 3 and 2 and 3 and 2 and with that have changed the timer and relearn blah blah blah in the VATS table. I know that EFI LIVE is the best programming solution for anyone doing this stuff, I just need to find the work around.

What is "THE PATCH"
How do I insatall "IT" if "IT" is something to install
I have looked through the HELP manual and have not found what I need.
I have set up my PIDS to look at coil status and injector status, as I crank the engine the coils go to ON and the injectors stay OFF, may be this isn't a vats issue?

v8vegaman
July 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
hey there, I also read that someone used a corvette manual file in the e38 that was originally a truck. I have tried it and the OS is different and it won't program, is there a way to change the os in the ecm?

odd boy
July 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
did u follow the one I posted it should work with you. you need to do a full reflash not normal flashing.

gmh308
July 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Hey guys, I have been reading about this because I am working with a E38 on a 58X truck engine. I have tried to remove the VATS all sorts of ways to no avail. As I read this i'm kind of getting freeked out. Someone says install "THE PATCH", someone else says just follow the proceedures outlined in the VATS portion, someone else sais look in the "HELP" menue for the proceedure and patch.. OK I am slow on the uptake so please xplain it like a 6 year old could reprogram a E38. I have the P/N and Clutch items shut off in the DTC table, I have changed the VATS type to 3 and 2 and 3 and 2 and with that have changed the timer and relearn blah blah blah in the VATS table. I know that EFI LIVE is the best programming solution for anyone doing this stuff, I just need to find the work around.

What is "THE PATCH"
How do I insatall "IT" if "IT" is something to install
I have looked through the HELP manual and have not found what I need.
I have set up my PIDS to look at coil status and injector status, as I crank the engine the coils go to ON and the injectors stay OFF, may be this isn't a vats issue?

Assuming you already have a calibration that you have "read" out of your ECM and saved and re-opened with your V2 cable plugged in (to PC), under the folder "Engine Operation" at the bottom of the list of folders there should be a folder "Operating System Patches".

The VATS patch option is in there. It needs to be set to enable, saved (recommend new file name) and then "Full Flashed". (also referred to here and there as "write entire".)

There are two flash options: 1/. "Program PCM with currently loaded calibration" and 2/. "Program PCM with currently loaded operating system and calibration".

2/. Is the "Full Flash" option.

If you want to change the OS in your ECM, this also requires option 2/. and OS/ECM compatibility (there are 4, maybe 5 now that Model Year 10 is here, different E38's).

Without knowing the service number on your ECM, and what vehicle (aircraft?) you are installing this engine in, hard to assist further.

Trust this helps a little.

:)

v8vegaman
July 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hey there thanks, I looked at the folder and the drop down does not have a patch folder in it. I also looked at all of the other folders and no patch stuff. Do I need to update my handset or something like that? Also I do not get the full reflash icon that I normally have with the LS1 ecms. It's late but I will stay all night if needed.

Thank you again for any help you could give

gmh308
July 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Hey there thanks, I looked at the folder and the drop down does not have a patch folder in it. I also looked at all of the other folders and no patch stuff. Do I need to update my handset or something like that? Also I do not get the full reflash icon that I normally have with the LS1 ecms. It's late but I will stay all night if needed.

Thank you again for any help you could give

Are you on the latest EFILive version? Or at least 7.5.something.

And is your cable and V2 plugged in?

If you plugged in your cable after you opened the tune tool, close the tune tool and open again with the cable plugged in so it can read the licensing info from the V2 box as the tune tool loads from the HDD.

:)

v8vegaman
July 19th, 2009, 05:52 PM
well I was thinking about that. I looked at my updates and I have the updates coming in on the other PC with my hand held unit installed. It's down loading as we speak. I feel like an idiot. I will check a few more things out with the updated information. I will repost again if the issues continue. Thanks again

Robert

gmh308
July 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
well I was thinking about that. I looked at my updates and I have the updates coming in on the other PC with my hand held unit installed. It's down loading as we speak. I feel like an idiot. I will check a few more things out with the updated information. I will repost again if the issues continue. Thanks again

Robert

No problemo.

v8vegaman
October 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM
just as a follow up, I did end up doing the patch and the only other thing that I notced was that when I used and automatic trans file, it changed the throttle pedal numbers that it was looking for and seemed to shut down the injectors. I went to a manual trans program and the pedal numbers both fell in line and the engine ran. Now I am looking for answeres on the trans controller issue. I would like to run and automatic program and use a t42 controller on the 95 4l60E transmission with the E38.