PDA

View Full Version : External AD and TEMP inputs

Blacky
May 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
If you've been having trouble logging AD1..AD4 and/or external TEMP inputs, please follow this thread.

I have been investigating the various reports and testing has shown some unexpected results. I will continue to post in this thread once more info is available...

Regards
Paul

Jasondt2001
May 23rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks Paul; Subscribing.

mr.prick
May 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
So others have had this happen? :sneaky:
5/9/09 is the last recorded date that I have for AD2 showing voltage.
Maybe this will help. :)
I thought this is strange because I figured my FP sensor would die
before the AD.
I know the ADs have protection and I use the PCM pin 47 (5v),
this has had me stumped. :confused:
What conditions would kill an AD input? :doh2:

:offtopic:
Might I ask why this isn't in the External A/D inputs forum. :hihi:

Blacky
May 23rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
In reply to this thread:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=95336#post95336

I reverted the firmware to V2.06.07 on the unit that showed AD2 as "dead" and AD2 is working properly. So it appears that it is not a hardware fault.

I will post new firmware when it is fixed.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
So others have had this happen? :sneaky:
So far just you and me. Most users only use AD1 for a single wide band. Very few use AD2, AD3 and AD4.

What conditions would kill an AD input? :doh2:
Overvoltage. Although that can only kill the circuit on the external side of the opto isolators. The CPU and related A/D circuitry on the CPU side of the optos should not get damaged.

:offtopic:
Might I ask why this isn't in the External A/D inputs forum. :hihi:
Umm, I forgot there was an A/D forum, I'll move it...

Paul

mr.prick
May 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
What about firmware?
IRC some past incidents with software caused havoc with how AD voltage
was displayed in the scan tool,
although serial input and bad firmware are another story. :throw:

Blacky
May 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Long story short, it appears the A/D converters are sampling too fast and the latest firmware is not processing the AD interrupts fast enough.

The AD interrupts are currently coded to interrupt the CPU 4 times at 4us intervals for the 4 A/D inputs (16us in total). After the latest additions, the firmware was not able to process AD1 within 4us of requesting the AD cycle and was dropping AD2.

I've changed the 4us to 8us (32us total) and the firmware works correctly again.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Try this firmware to see if it fixes the AD2 problem.
I've kept the version at 2.06.10 so you can swap back and forward between this version (May 24) and the previous V2.06.10 (May 20) version.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
May 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
It's alive, :cucumber:
F4>F4>F4 shows 1_1_1_1 now and with AA battery it shows AD counts.
I will connect to the car in the morning for more testing.
:thankyou2:

Blacky
May 23rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
It's alive, :cucumber:
F4>F4>F4 shows 1_1_1_1 now and with AA battery it shows AD counts.
I will connect to the car in the morning for more testing.
:thankyou2:

Check the factor and offset used to calibrate the A/D voltages.
You can check using EFILive_Hapi on the "F5: Calibrate A/D" page. Click on [Get Factor/Offset] to see what they are set to.
If you click [Display data] you will see the raw A/D counts and the calibrated voltage.

Don't click [Initialize] or [Calibrate] unless you really mean to supply the appropriate voltages and actually calibrate the sensors.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
May 24th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Check the factor and offset used to calibrate the A/D voltages.
You can check using EFILive_Hapi on the "F5: Calibrate A/D" page. Click on [Get Factor/Offset] to see what they are set to.
If you click [Display data] you will see the raw A/D counts and the calibrated voltage.

Don't click [Initialize] or [Calibrate] unless you really mean to supply the appropriate voltages and actually calibrate the sensors.

Regards
Paul

No factor offsets are shown and no voltage for any AD now.
Also recording with scan.exe AD1 and AD2 shows no voltage.
In the self tests of V2 I see AD counts for AD2 now but external sensor
data shows nothing for AD1 and AD2.
Basically AD2 works but now voltage is not being displayed for
any of the ADs through V2 directly or passthru.

Blacky
May 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Ahh, sorry my bad. I only tested using BBL and displaying the AD values on FlashScan's screen. That's the only condition under which they work. I've removed the debug that was preventing all other views of the AD voltages from being processed.

Try this version.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
May 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM
AD2 is officially fixed!

joecar
May 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I am using firmware 2.06.10 May 25.

F4 Options -> F4 Self Tests -> F3 External Sensors -> F1 Display Sensors:
I see AD1-4 pegged at 0.05V regardless of input voltage (1 or 2 AA batteries, measured with DMM at AD+/- inputs).
See image below.

F4 Options -> F4 Self Tests -> F4 Self Tests:
I see the second bottom row of 4 numbers is 1 1 1 1 where occasionally the 1's become 0's for a moment.
See image below.

Connecting to car's OBD-II port, logging in BBL, I see the following voltages (DMM said external voltage at orange connectors was 1.362V):
AD1: 1.39V
AD2: 1.42V
AD3: 1.39V
AD4: 1.39V

i.e. at the moment you can only view the AD voltages by doing BBL logging.

BTW: the attached images of Display Sensors and Self Tests is what HAPI captured and saved to file... the left 90% of the image is missing.

mr.prick
May 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Yes,
HAPI and the V2 control panel are not working if you want to calibrate them.
They show no AD or voltage.
I have given up on calibrating mine to be perfect, they float too much.

joecar
May 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I also tried calibrating using the V2 calibration display but I couldn't get that to work.

mr.prick
May 27th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Did you try with the V2 by itself?
Also I have found that you must be connected to both PC and car to calibrate them
through V2 control panel and HAPI.

joecar
May 28th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Yes, I was trying to cal with V2 itself... oh, connected to both car/PC, I see, will do... thanks.

Blacky
May 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Did you try with the V2 by itself?
Also I have found that you must be connected to both PC and car to calibrate them
through V2 control panel and HAPI.

Correct, for FlashScan to sample the AD inputs it requires 12V on the vehicle connector.
Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
December 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Correct, for FlashScan to sample the AD inputs it requires 12V on the vehicle connector.
Regards
Paul

Is this still true? As I pressed the initialize and calibrate trying to work out why I was logging 1 value on fs but another on the gauge.

Blacky
December 6th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Is this still true? As I pressed the initialize and calibrate trying to work out why I was logging 1 value on fs but another on the gauge.

Yes, you must supply ground and 12V to the vehicle connector at the base of FlashScan to power the A/D circuits. The 5V supply from the USB connector is not enough.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
December 8th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Well I managed to recal it via usb on my desktop and my bench dc converter. Much more accurate even with the pos plx.

It did however only calibrate just ad1.