PDA

View Full Version : EFI Failure

Telco
May 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hi - I've got an EFI Flashscan V2 unit, with the 7.5 software. I've been having a problem with my laptop not being able to connect to the unit. When I plug it in, the 2nd and 4th lights alternate flashing very fast, and that's all that happens. It was just acting flaky, so I assumed that the cable was going bad, but it recently stopped connecting altogether. I tried a new USB cable, same results.

So, I have two questions. First, can I use the RS232 cable instead of the USB to do this? If so I can locate a cable to connect to the laptop. If not, I'll see about shipping the unit off to Fish Tuning for a repair (based off a different post). This is really inconvenient as my dad just bought a 2001 fullsize, and he wants to swap rear ends with my brother's 2000 model. One rear has 3.42s and the other 3.73s, so if there's a way I can hold off shipping it out I'd like to.

I doubt the unit's still under warranty at this point, I don't think I sent the registration card off when I bought it, but that's not important.

mr.prick
May 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM
POST (Power On Self Test) Errors (http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)

ScarabEpic22
May 25th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Are the 2nd and 4th lights flashing amber? If so its in dead-poll mode, you need to upgrade to the latest boot block and firmware (download V8.1.2 from the main page and run the update program to get the latest, then open up EFILive Explorer and it will walk you through both steps). Also, check the firmware it attempts to flash, do NOT use 2.06.09! 2.06.08 or 2.06.10 are stable, there is a bug with .09 regarding WBO2 sensor comms.

You cannot use a RS232 cable, must be USB.

Telco
May 26th, 2009, 12:34 AM
ScarabEpic22, that's exactly what it's doing. I'll try knocking this out in the next day or two then, and will report back the results. Thanks!

joecar
May 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Read this carefully...

ScarabEpic22
May 26th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Read the link joecar posted, if you didnt try upgrading your firmware then dead poll modes means something corrupted the firmware and FlashScan reverted to dead poll to save itself. Follow the instructions EXACTLY and you'll be up and running in no time!

Telco
May 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Well, it's not working. Everything I try to open says top secret. I've downloaded version 8.1.2 build 55. Still got the blinking lights too. All files were backed up before I made the switch. I didn't see anything that might address this, either on the notepad or the tutorials. What's my next step? Thanks.

Brian1
May 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Clicking on F6 Device Options says Top Secret?

Brian

mr.prick
May 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
EFILive Scan and Tune is beta software, not all options work yet.
You will need to navigate to C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8 for the EFILive Explorer.exe
If your bootblock is V2.06.02 and your firmware is V2.06.10,
with EFILive Scan and Tune select "Black Box Logging"
on the right side of the Program icon there is an arrow,
click the little arrow and select "Program All .PMM Files (slower)

Telco
May 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I rechecked, all options except F6 showed secret.

I'm not a computer guy, so I don't need to be in Betaland. What would I need to download to have the latest non-Beta version?

joecar
May 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM
What about F3: Black Box Logging...?

joecar
May 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Do you see these...?

mr.prick
May 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Working on another sticky, Joecar? :laugh:

Telco
May 30th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Sorry, only checked the F6 when asked, was going by memory on the rest. I just checked every single option. F1, F3, F6 and F10 all work, F2, F4, F5, and F7 all report top secret, and F8 and F9 report not implemented yet. I also can't seem to open any older tuning files. No worries about messing them up, I've got backup copies all over including a DVD in my safe deposit box.

Would it be possible for me to fix my immediate problem by going back to the latest 7.5 version?

mr.prick
May 30th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Would it be possible for me to fix my immediate problem by going back to the latest 7.5 version?

I don't suggest going backwards

I also can't seem to open any older tuning files.

With tune.exe?

joecar
May 30th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Sorry, only checked the F6 when asked, was going by memory on the rest. I just checked every single option. F1, F3, F6 and F10 all work, F2, F4, F5, and F7 all report top secret, and F8 and F9 report not implemented yet. I also can't seem to open any older tuning files. No worries about messing them up, I've got backup copies all over including a DVD in my safe deposit box.

When you clicked F3 did you get the BBL pidlist setup gui as shown in the 2nd of my images above...?

joecar
May 30th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Do you realize that you still use the V7.5 scantool/tunetool to view/edit logs/tunes...?

Brian1
May 30th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Yes you want V7.5 to do scanning, logging, tuning. At this time V8 is an update tool at this time and where EFILive is going for future design. No problem leaving both on the computer. As for what you see as top secret in V8 that is correct. Not many have access to the addtional stuff. Just those that are testing do. V8 is like a beta release. not alpha release.

Brian

Telco
June 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM
Yes, I get the stuff in the screenshot when I hit F3.

If 7.5 is still what I want for the tuning, where do I find a link to redownload? I'm not finding anything where I can redownload it. I really need to get this thing working again, because I now have three trucks that I need to program. I just bought a 2000 reg cab Z71 today. :cucumber: :w00t: :rockon:

neil
June 1st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hi Telco,
Here's the EFILive link to download V7.5.
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133
All the best.

Regards,

Neil.

Telco
June 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
By jove I think I've got it! I once again have a live copy. The fix was to reload the 7.5 software from the original disk, then do the upgrade from the program. :cucumber: I appreciate all the help and advice.

Gotta say though, I hope the next version looks and feels like the 7.5 does. It's pretty easy to figure out even if you aren't a pro with this stuff.

:cheers::)

Brian1
June 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM
So what is the final version and build release of your install?

Brian

Telco
June 9th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Well crap! Broke again, AND it's giving me the dead polling error if I either plug it into the truck without the laptop or if I plug it into the laptop without the truck. Also getting it when both are plugged in. I was just using it to pull codes from the truck when the display went blank and the two yellow lights started blinking, #2 and #4, alternating at about 3/4 second each. What's the deal here?

Brian1, I am using version 8.1.2 build 55 at this time.

joecar
June 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
The alternating flashing amber leds means V2 is in dead poll mode...

this means the bootblock program is waiting for firmware to be flashed in...

you have to use EFILive_Explorer (EE) to flash in the firmware...

Are you saying that V2 was displaying its normal menu screen and then it went blank and the amber leds started flashing...?

Telco
June 9th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Are you saying that V2 was displaying its normal menu screen and then it went blank and the amber leds started flashing...?

Yup, I was in the middle of pulling DTCs. It showed two, I went to see if there were more and it died on me, started the dead poll bounce.

I'll try and get that Explorer thing working tomorrow. Thanks.

joecar
June 9th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I notified Tech Support.

Blacky
June 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Yup, I was in the middle of pulling DTCs. It showed two, I went to see if there were more and it died on me, started the dead poll bounce.

I'll try and get that Explorer thing working tomorrow. Thanks.

FlashScan will go into dead poll under three conditions:

1. If you hold the Ctrl key down while powering up FlashScan.
2. When you are programming new firmware.
3. If the flash memory chip that contains the firmware is damaged.

Option 3 is the most likely explanation. I recommend returning your FlashScan device to EFILive for repair.
Return it to Fish Tuning, their details are on our resellers web page.

If you reprogram the firmware (using EFILive Explorer) it may start working again, but if the flash memory is failing intermittently, then it will eventually fail again.

Regards
Paul

Telco
June 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks Blacky. I flashed the firmware and it's working again. If it fails out again, I'll shoot it off for a Fishing trip.

EDIT - Wow, it worked for a while, then locked again. I can reload the firmware and it works again, for a while. Since I have a workaround, in a manner of speaking, I'll be able to get my stuff done, then I can send it off.

joecar
June 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Ira (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?u=416)