PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting laptop hard drive: Question about EFILive

DrkPhx
May 27th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Hi,
I have to reformat the hard drive on my lap top and wanted to make sure I didn't have problems when reinstalling EFILive. So I have some questions.

- - Can I just burn my existing version to a CD for reinstallation? or
- Do I just download the versions I currently run from this website; or do I need to reinstall from the original CD? I assume I would need to enter the keys and license info again.

I already backed up my tunes and logs, so I just want to make sure everything works fine (including the BB) once the laptop is fine. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Here are the current versions I run.

Flash/Scan: V7.5.4 (build 66)
Firmware: 2.5.20
Bootlock: 2.5.08

poolshark021
May 27th, 2009, 10:14 AM
You will need to download and re-install the software again. This would include entering all your registration info again. Just copying the files to a cd won't work because it won't transfer things like registry information.

joecar
May 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM
+1.

Also, you will need to either keep using your old versions (from your CD), or update to the new ones...

If you update the software, it will expect V2 firmware/bootblock to also be updated...

but updating V2 is tricky... read this carefully before proceeding...

mr.prick
May 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
That firmware is old,
I suggest reading up on the current version of the software and firmware
and decide on whether or not you want to use the latest release.

ScarabEpic22
May 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Actually ALL of those are REALLY OLD. Current version is 7.5.5 build 86, bb 2.06.02, and fw 2.06.10.

Just download the latest releases from the main page when you get your PC up and running. Also, if you want to save your MAPs, PID selection, etc backup the My Documents\EFILive\ folder (it also saves your reg info so you wont have to re-enter it). Copy it back then install the latest versions, you'll be good to go! Then open up EFILive Explorer and it will walk you through upgrading your boot block and firmware.

DrkPhx
May 28th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I updated to the most current sofware, but now the BB is not displaying anything (both in pass thru and BBL mode) and when I tried to connect to a vehicle I see a USB driver not installed message. I also don't see my current licences displayed as previously.

DrkPhx
May 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I fixed the USB driver by manually installing the driver through the device manager. Pass through tuning and scanning work fine, however I can't access BBL anymore. I try selecting the PID (F1) and it doesn't work. It also won't let me edit settings or access the scan tool (F2).

I did update the bootblock and firmware to the latest version.

joecar
May 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM
You have V7.5 build 87 and V8.1 build 55...?

Bootblock 2.06.02 and firmware 2.06.10 May 25...?

Did you format the Config and Data spaces...?

You probably want to edit your Options.txt file by using Scan&Tune->BBL.

Then you use EFILive Explorer to copy the *.pmm files and the Options.txt file to the Config space.

I know, it's tedious.

DrkPhx
May 28th, 2009, 08:55 AM
The BBL is now working. However I don't see the same PID selection as previously displayed by year; only by (sample). Can I just update my previous options.txt file to the BBL or do I have to manually select them again by starting over?

joecar
May 28th, 2009, 10:49 AM
The Options.txt format has been changed...

use the Scan&Tune program to create a new Options.txt.

DrkPhx
May 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
How do I do that? The new version is completely different.

joecar
May 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Start Scan&Tune, then click on BBL...

a gui opens up...

in upper left, on a controller/pidlist name do rightclick->Properties and select you controller...

then drag pids from right pane to lower left pane...

the red/green indicator bars at the bottom tell you if there are too many pids (all red)...

then save and program to V2.

Start from post #207: showthread.php?p=94917#post94917 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=94917#post94917)

DrkPhx
May 28th, 2009, 03:58 PM
My PID menu doesn't have all of those PIDs available and they all have "(sample)" next to each menu item in the upper left corner.

DrkPhx
May 28th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I got it figured out. I like the new EFI Explorer better. It's easier to use now that I know how to use it. However, I can't select the PIDS to display in Imperial by hitting Enter on the BB. I also tried to change it under Settings but that didn't work either.

joecar
May 29th, 2009, 05:16 AM
In the BBL pids gui, in the lower left pane (the pids that will be BBL'd), do this:

on a pid (say VSS) do rightclick->Properties and fill in the Custom Properties (set it to mph)...

don't forget to save/program.