PDA

View Full Version : Using EFILive offline on your desktop

Blacky
November 18th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Most people want to use EFILive from the comfort of their desktop PC and usually do not want to (or cannot) connect their desktop to their vehicle.

How then can you get your vehicle's validated PIDs and Modules to show up on your desktop?

Copy the following files from your laptop to your desktop:
<install_folder>/PIDs/<vin>.vpl (validated PID list)
<install_folder>/PIDs/<vin>.vml (validated module list)

<install_dir> is the EFILive V6 installation directory
<vin> is the first 11 digits of your vehicle's VIN, with the 9th digit (the checkdigit) replaced with an underscore character.

When you enter the correct VIN, using menu option Edit->VIN, EFILive will load the appropriate validated PIDs and Modules from the files that you copied.

Paul

emarkay
November 19th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Also, copy the customer data files and print reports, as well as (obviously) the log files, too...

I just sort by date and copy all things modified that session to a floppy and transfer it to the desktop. This includes any dashboard or PID file modifications.

Also a good idea to have all the files on the desktop, as a backup in case the laptop dies...

MRK

Amx990
December 26th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Ohhh!

Dewglass
December 11th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Having a problem working offline from laptop -not connected to vehicle using V1? (using COS3)

When connected to vehicle there are no problems?

It will not let me "save as" (not highlighted in drop down list.)

What could be preventing this?

Blacky
December 11th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Check the Hep->About window and then compare it to the details of this thread:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?1936-FlashScan-Commercial-Licenses&highlight=commercial

Regards
Paul

ZachM1
August 13th, 2015, 01:37 PM
I know this is an old thread, but to simplify the process of having the same files on the laptop and desktop you could use Dropbox or something similar to sync the files between the computers. Also makes for a decent backup plan if you have a hard drive failure.

Roxyfever
August 18th, 2016, 01:58 PM
So would this process work for example I live in Texas and want to tune my dad's lb7 in illinois. Would I just need his stock file then I can mess with it on a laptop and email it back to him?

Blacky
August 18th, 2016, 08:51 PM
So would this process work for example I live in Texas and want to tune my dad's lb7 in illinois. Would I just need his stock file then I can mess with it on a laptop and email it back to him?

Yes, so long as your dad has a FlashScan with which to flash the file back into his truck. Assuming your dad does have a FlashScan, then he'll also have a blue Registration Card with his registration details on it. You'll need him to send you a copy of that so that you can register your copy of the EFILive V7.5 software so that you can edit/save tune files on your PC. If you don't have those registration details then the software will be in demo mode and you won't be able to save any changes you make. Strictly speaking you're not supposed to share Registration Details, but if you're working with your dad on tuning via the same FlashScan then there's no problem doing that.

Regads
Paul

Roxyfever
August 18th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Would it be easier if he got a blank Autocal and I just linked them together and tune that way? That way he can data log an we can email back an forth

ScarabEpic22
August 19th, 2016, 03:56 AM
Would it be easier if he got a blank Autocal and I just linked them together and tune that way? That way he can data log an we can email back an forth

If you wanted to build all of the tunes, then yes this is an excellent option (and is one of the reasons why EFILive created the AutoCal). You send him an AutoCal and he downloads the latest software, you have him log and then you can make changes and send him tunes. Another option that some people use is TeamViewer or other remote desktop programs, basically just have him share his screen and you can control his PC+FlashScan from your place.

Roxyfever
August 19th, 2016, 04:01 AM
Awesome just what I was hoping for. By logging you mean he gets his stock tune file without driving the vehicle correct?

joecar
August 21st, 2016, 08:14 PM
logging = logging a set of pids while driving vehicle (i.e. to produce a time chart display).