PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battry after reflash?

kbracing96
September 30th, 2005, 05:49 AM
I'm pretty new to tuning and have only been messing with my truck for a few days. I have only reflashed it 2 times. Once for some shifting stuff and once to change the timing table around. Both times where in the evening and I started it up and took if for a 15-20 min drive after. Then the next day I go out and try to start it and when I open the door, I hear a faint clicking noise like a relay clicking every few seconds and the battery is almost stone dead. I put the truck on the charger and charge it up and get it running, drive it around and it is fine. Battery doesn't go dead. Has anyone ever had this problem? The battery is only 3 months old and the truck only has 36,000 miles on it even though it is a 01. The charging system on the truck checks out and there is nothing added onto it the should drain the battery. Seem to only happen after I reflash the pcm. Any ideas? Thanks.

SSpdDmon
September 30th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Any chance you left something on? I've only had that happen to me once and that was a bit extreme. I forgot I had left the ignition in the run position while I was making several changes (5mins worth), somehow my headlights were manually turned on (middle of the day and don't know how/why), the radio was on, and under-hood temps were high (>80*F out that day). After I flashed in my changes, I turned the car off for the 15 seconds. Needless to say, my battery was done. Worst of all, this was in the staging lanes at the dragstrip. Gotta love that one. What makes it even better was the fact that my friend jumpped me, but I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running....and I still made my pass. 8) I can honestly say I learned my lesson. Anyway, your 3-month-old battery should last a lot longer than my 3-year-old one. I'd keep an eye one the other stuff and make sure you minimize the time you have the key in the run position without the engine running.

kbracing96
September 30th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Both time where at night, so I would have seen any light that I might have left on. I also took it for a drive after the reflashes too, then came home and parked it.

GMPX
September 30th, 2005, 09:34 AM
We have had another user (actually a Beta tester) report this same problem. I'm afraid we never actually figured out what was causing it, at first we suspected the PCM was not powering down but tests showed that did not seem to be the case. This Beta tester does alot of mail order PCM's so none of them were actually programmed on the vehicle. Plus, it did not happen on all vehicles of similar type.
We thought it is more likely there is another module on the vehicle that for some reason after a reflash will not shutdown when the key is turned off.
Just a couple of things to try -
Reflash you stock tune back in, see if the problem goes away.
In the ScanTool, connect to the vehicle then read any fault codes (Shift+F8 ), take note of which fault codes (if any) are set.
Then clear all module DTC's (Shift+F11 ).

Is the truck only doing this after a flash, or does the battery need charging even after 3 or 4 drives without programming the PCM?.

Cheers,
Ross

kbracing96
September 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
It seems to only do it once right after the flash. Come out the next day and its stone dead. Charge it up and its fine and stays charged. It has not show any codes.

GMPX
September 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I asked our Beta tester about the problem and he said he always allows 15 seconds (maybe a touch more) after reflashing and turning the key off before starting the vehicle.
I'm not sure of the version number, but we added in a on screen countdown timer after reflashing.
Since he has followed that proceedure the problem has gone away.

Cheers,
Ross

kbracing96
September 30th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Yep, I have the version with the counter and allowed the 15+ seconds. Maybe its just a fluke. I'll have to play with it some more and let ya know. Just though I would mention it.