PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - Just Works

NERDPWR
June 4th, 2009, 08:42 PM
So Windows 7 goes RTM next month to OEMs and VL Customers...

With proposed general release for 22nd Sept 09.. Very Exciting.. :fluffy:

Finally something from M$ that I wont be cautious to sell to my clients enmasse..

Hope you brave beta types have all had a chance to check out VXP mode as well... :grin:

Been running various Windows 7 x64 Betas for the last 6 months and so far absolutely no operational issues with EFILive on a Win 7 x64 base.. Doesnt upset the Moates either.. Happy as Larry there as well...

Well 1 minor install issue but overcoming stupidity fixed that with some help from Tordne... :angel_innocent:

Anyone else ?

mr.prick
June 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM
What about all those suckers that bought Vista?

NERDPWR
June 5th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Glad I have always had Vista licensing available through work... Would be somewhat urked if I had actually paid full tote for it..

As per usual folks will probably be nailed to the wall with horrendous upgrade costs..

M$ hasn't announced the final pricing structure yet but its full of different versions once again..

Of note is the netobbok version.. Should spark some life into the low power lappers...

Chevy366
June 5th, 2009, 05:10 AM
SO no need for virus or firewall software in Win7 ?
Cool first Micro$oft OS that doesn't need 3rd party software to protect it .
What gets me is , people get excited about having to pay hundreds of dollars for a OS for their computer , weird !
Hey what about ARM understand MS Win7 is not supporting ARM powered Netbooks .

Cougar281
June 5th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I've been running Windows 7 x64 since it came to RC, and it's been solid. Performs well, and knock on wood, I haven't had a single BSOD. With Vista x64, I was randomly getting a BSOD on return from hibernate. I think it was the fingerprint reader driver doing it. Haven't played with the XP mode, though, but one of my co-workers has. I'm told it works quite well. My only gripe is EFILive's auto update doesn't work, but that's not W7's fault or Ross or Paul's fault. It'll get fixed though, I'm sure. :)

Chevy, where'd you get the idea you don't need 3rd party AV? The firewall in 7 is probably as good as a software-based PC firewall can get, but I'd still get some other AV.

NERDPWR
June 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
EFILive's auto update doesn't work, but that's not W7's fault or Ross or Paul's fault. It'll get fixed though, I'm sure

Doesnt seem to be a problem here.. :confused:

ntae
June 5th, 2009, 09:32 PM
updates coming through on my system

Cougar281
June 5th, 2009, 11:44 PM
With the update, I get the "ERROR: EFILive V8 is not allowed to run on WinNTx. Setup Aborted" message, and unlike when you manually run the installer, it doesn't come back and ask to retry using "Recommended Settings". From what I've heard, it' because the installer doesn't support Windows 7 (yet).

ntae
June 6th, 2009, 09:52 AM
if i remember right after that it asked if the program was installed right i clicked all ok

ScarabEpic22
June 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
For that message you need to go into program files and select all the programs, right click properties, compatibility mode, change to vista sp1 or xp sp3. Never had an issue after that.

Running W7 since Jan 8 actually, funny its been 5mo today. Beta now RC, pretty stable except for a weird wlan driver issue that sorts itself out after a week. Really weird. Havent checked VXP mode though, some day maybe.

GMPX
June 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
It is pretty good, though I haven't used RC1 too much since it's release. I'm not brave enough to move over to it away from XP at this stage.

On my laptop I have been running Ubuntu for over a month now. I'm pretty much a convert to it now for general web browsing etc. At least W7 doesn't feel like a bloated pile of crap Vista is.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
June 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I'm running Windows 7 on my main laptop full time now and find it really good. Only one annoyance with Windows Explorer going a bit odd and not showing any content (fairly regularly now). Logging out and back in fixes it.

Chevy366
June 9th, 2009, 04:00 AM
On my laptop I have been running Ubuntu for over a month now. I'm pretty much a convert to it now for general web browsing etc.
Cheers,
Ross
:thumb_yello: :notacrook: :good:

GMPX
June 10th, 2009, 11:22 AM
As a comparison.
On my laptop Ubuntu does a cold boot to fully functional in under 1 minute, that is with wireless connection and the HD LED off.
On the same laptop Vista takes about 4 minutes to get to the desktop screen, then a further 2 or 3 minutes to be usable as the HD LED is on solid! What a crock.
This is really my #1 complaint with Vista, not that is sucks to use, it's not bad, but what a difference between OS's on the same PC.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
June 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM
As a comparison.
On my laptop Ubuntu does a cold boot to fully functional in under 1 minute, that is with wireless connection and the HD LED off.
On the same laptop Vista takes about 4 minutes to get to the desktop screen, then a further 2 or 3 minutes to be usable as the HD LED is on solid! What a crock.
This is really my #1 complaint with Vista, not that is sucks to use, it's not bad, but what a difference between OS's on the same PC.

Cheers,
Ross

Yep, same issue with Vista here Ross, thats why when I heard W7 beta was going public I partitioned and installed it within I think 3 days of it coming out. Cold boot with Vista is around 2-3mins, W7 is half that. And this is with the Microsoft boot manager popping up asking for an OS selection which kills a few secs at least.

Nifty little program for booting directly from one windows OS into another OS (windows or linux). iReboot 1.1 download link (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=11) Great for booting from W7 into Vista by right clicking the icon in the taskbar and selecting Vista or the OS you want to boot into. No boot manager screens or anything, I never use the start menu reboot command anymore with 3 OSs installed, too easy to just select the one I want and its done for me.

Chevy366
June 12th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Oh no , beat them to it : http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1271200/linux-support-usb

Chevy366
June 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Nifty little program for booting directly from one windows OS into another OS (windows or linux). iReboot 1.1 download link (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=11) Great for booting from W7 into Vista by right clicking the icon in the taskbar and selecting Vista or the OS you want to boot into. No boot manager screens or anything, I never use the start menu reboot command anymore with 3 OSs installed, too easy to just select the one I want and its done for me.

SuSE 11.0 KDE 3.5 had a utility that did the same thing a couple of years ago , they have not implemented it in KDE 4.x yet , will have to put it on the wish list at KDE .

Chevy366
June 12th, 2009, 05:16 AM
As a comparison.

Cheers,
Ross
Yeah , neat isn't it , Linux has a instant on OS that is harbored in the BIOS , press start button and instant OS ready to browse the web or other things .