PDA

View Full Version : GETTING some HP from a stock Gen-IV V8

A.O.A
June 5th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Hi there all...
I got a Gen-IV V8 2008 GMC sierra 2500 HD truck (stock), and I want to get some more HP from it, well I am totally new to use the EFILIVE tune, and I am thinking of changing the TIMING, and when I went to the Spark menu i got LOST!! i don;t know what to change!!so anyone can help me to kick up my truck's HP !!! thanks a lot :angel_innocent:

Baldric
June 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
you want to change your high octane table you really need a dyno as ive been down this road its rather hard to hit mbt on the street to many variables basically what ive found/been advised you need a dyno and really need to work on a group of cells and adjust them minimally bit by bit until you get a knock/yoru ect goes up higher than normal

A.O.A
June 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks Baldric...
well actually I own a Dyno...but can u guide me where to find and change the variables in EFILIVE tune?!?!? thnx a lot

Baldric
June 6th, 2009, 06:24 PM
LOL mate ive never ever used a dyno so i have no idea but what ive been told/read is you basicaly tune it to get MBT then you will/should see if you go further than MBT your ECT (coolant temp) will go up as you've reached the max the engine can (safely) produce after that you will get high ECT temps and will introduce knock/pinging

I think thats the way it goes

Baldric
June 6th, 2009, 06:24 PM
have you done AutoVE yet ?

JezzaB
June 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
you want to change your high octane table you really need a dyno as ive been down this road its rather hard to hit mbt on the street to many variables basically what ive found/been advised you need a dyno and really need to work on a group of cells and adjust them minimally bit by bit until you get a knock/yoru ect goes up higher than normal

MBT is usually a long way from Knock Retard and when you are doing load points on a dyno you will find your ECT will go up no matter what you do.

Dont know where you are getting your misinformation from.

Baldric
June 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
MBT is usually a long way from Knock Retard and when you are doing load points on a dyno you will find your ECT will go up no matter what you do.

Dont know where you are getting your misinformation from.

you missed this one sonny

I think thats the way it goes
im not a expert neither are most on here thus why we are here sharing information, and have been told that on this forum by some other people just sumarised what he told me ;)

cheers

ringram
June 7th, 2009, 03:01 AM
:coool:

Forget ECT mate, not least because there is no way it will react quickly enough to make any informed choices.

Just change High Octane values on the dyno aiming for max torque at each load cell from the table. Make sure you dont have any spark modifiers messing you around too much like BKR or general KR etc.

Personally I use the area blend function as its hard and slow to do every single cell separately. Also low load high rpm and high load low rpm areas dont usually get used so you can kind of skip them somewhat.

I change 1* spark at a time any less and its hard to see a change.

Roadrunner is cool, but no such thing with the E38 I have to use now. So its start/stop runs and a spreadsheet with timing and torque values and multiple sheets to a workbook..

A.O.A
June 7th, 2009, 04:35 AM
thanks a lot mates,,,
hmmmmm well u might all laugh when I say that; this is not what I've meant, well what i am looking for is when I start the Tuning tool (efilive) I don;t know where to go when the ENGINE drop down menu opens I don;t know which one to go to !!!!!! I am clear yet?? or do I sound GOOFY!!!??
lol

Baldric
June 7th, 2009, 08:30 AM
maybe jezzab would be so kind and share his knowledge and tell you the areas you need to change.... as i got mine mixed up ;)

JezzaB
June 7th, 2009, 12:58 PM
ah okay
Main ve table is b0101
high octane spark table is b5913

Its is a Gen 4 computer, not a Gen 3 Baldric.

Sid447
June 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM
thanks a lot mates,,,
hmmmmm well u might all laugh when I say that; this is not what I've meant, well what i am looking for is when I start the Tuning tool (efilive) I don;t know where to go when the ENGINE drop down menu opens I don;t know which one to go to !!!!!! I am clear yet?? or do I sound GOOFY!!!??
lol

AOA,

If you don't understand the software, then you need to do some homework. It is not advisable to just start changing things in any PCM without even understanding how to navigate around the software. Let alone understanding the consequences of things you might want to change when in complete ignorance.
To just start asking for instant answers isn't the way to learn and understand.

EFI-Live comes with a tuning tutorial. It is expected of people to read and undertsand this first before even thinking about starting to use such sophisticated tuning software.
It is not easy and some people take years to get up and running with it.

If people don't learn at least the basics beforehand and just go and start changing parameters without any understanding of the software let alone basic undertsanding of mechanics, it's asking for serious trouble & can have dire consequences. It could very likely cost you a complete lesson in damage repair or even a complete engine replacement. :)