PDA

View Full Version : Question about NEW PID availability... Engine Oil Temperature?

Jasondt2001
June 9th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Hi guys and girls of EFILive!

As if you didn't have ENOUGH crap on your to-do-list :angel_innocent:

But I was wondering if it is possible to have that PID available to us?
The reason I ask is I was reading about the engine oil life and the parameters it monitors and one post said it takes into account engine load and OIL TEMPERATURES... I would LOVE to have that, as I have a 2 gauge pod and the three gauge pod gets in the way of my sunvisor and I don't need another gauge unless I can get it from my computer :fluffy:

Thanks guys!!! I'm LOOOOVING the new V8 features!!!!!!:rockon:

- Jason

GMPX
June 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
We currently have Oil Temp PID's for the gas E38/E67 ECM's, if the LBZ/LMM ECM does not validate the Oil Temp PID's then it means it doesn't support reporting it via the scantool.

Cheers,
Ross

Jasondt2001
June 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I hadn't seen the oil temp PID for the LBZ/LMM even listed, or I would try to validate it - am I doing something wrong? I'm looking in the blackbox logging selection area.

bballer182
June 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
take the pid name from the E67 or E38 list and manually enter it into your options.txt and try to log it. Chances are that if it is available for the E35 (LBZ/LMM) it would be the same name as the E67/38.

Brian1
June 10th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I don't think it will work. Unless it is referenced in the .pmm file it may not know how to interupt the PID.

Brian

DURAtotheMAX
June 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM
none of the duramax ECM's monitor oil temperature...only oil pressure.

ben

GMPX
June 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
The E38 / E67's don't measure it, it's calculated, so it's possible it might have existed in the LBZ/LMM at least, but if those PID's don't validate then the answer is they don't.

MMLMM
June 11th, 2009, 11:23 AM
none of the duramax ECM's monitor oil temperature...only oil pressure.

ben

and low level :tongue:

DURAtotheMAX
June 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM
and low level :tongue:

correct Mike :D :tongue:

bballer182
June 11th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I don't think it will work. Unless it is referenced in the .pmm file it may not know how to interupt the PID.

Brian

Think out side the box. Maybe use the E38 or 67 pmm file to see if the pid validates on the E35. dont try using your normal pid list just try validating the oil temp pid only. Ive done this when tryin to figure out the EGT temp probe off of an LMM for the LBZ. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9987

DURAtotheMAX
June 11th, 2009, 01:42 PM
yes.....but there isnt even an oil temp sensor on the duramax...

Jasondt2001
June 11th, 2009, 01:54 PM
yes.....but there isnt even an oil temp sensor on the duramax...

Damn, they must have meant the Coolant Temp Sensor monitoring temperature... crap. :doh2:
Thanks again Ben!

DURAtotheMAX
June 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Damn, they must have meant the Coolant Temp Sensor monitoring temperature... crap. :doh2:
Thanks again Ben!

its too bad...I wish it did monitor oil temp. :( Oil temparature is critical on the duramax especially because it uses it for piston cooling and stuff. IMO the duramax (by design) is almost as much an oil cooled engine as it is a water cooled one...

MMLMM
June 11th, 2009, 02:51 PM
An oil temp sender is pretty easy to install in the DMAX, as there is a nice little plug ready for it. you can run it to your V2 and log it....

Or put a gauge in if you really must know all the time, or even a light when it get to a certain temp...

Jasondt2001
June 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm playing with the idea of adding one by the oil filter :)

Jasondt2001
June 16th, 2009, 06:35 AM
An oil temp sender is pretty easy to install in the DMAX, as there is a nice little plug ready for it. you can run it to your V2 and log it....

Or put a gauge in if you really must know all the time, or even a light when it get to a certain temp...

Hey Mike!

I have a autometer oil temp gauge. Before installing I went ahead and tested it w/ the V2 temp plug in - No go, it says it's about 800C ...

Do you know of any senders that are like the K type thermocouple (for EGT) that I can use w/ liquids to log it in EFILive? Or perhaps Ben you may know something?

killerbee
June 21st, 2009, 03:28 PM
You can make certain assumption about oil temp from the pressure gauge. It will fall off linearly with temp rise, rpm held constant.

LBZ
June 24th, 2009, 05:43 PM
You can make certain assumption about oil temp from the pressure gauge. It will fall off linearly with temp rise, rpm held constant.

Very true-if your on the ball and notice it falling!! :grin:

I have found oil temp mimics coolant temp slightly but it is generally higher than coolant temp and NOT linearally corelated so a temp gauge would be better.