PDA

View Full Version : What makes the difference of efilive

jennbab3
June 15th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I am now looking at purchasing a tuner for my 09 2500 duramax. I am new to efi live, can someone tell me the advantages to efi live over say quadzilla? Also do other members share tunes or is that on my shoulders, b/c that sounds pretty tough. Thanks in advance!
Rodney

Brian1
June 15th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Well you may wish to check out a few other forums like www.dieselplace.com and www.duramaxdiesels.com . Now EFILive can do anything a Quad or other programmer can do but you are not limited to the 3 to 10 tunes they have on them. Plus if you had a tune from one you could not tweak it any where as EFILive can make the slighties changes. Plus it can be used on many different GM OBDII model vehicles. If you goto www.dieselplace.com and check out the EFILive section you could get a better understanding. There are some modified tunes there that may help you. Only thing on the 2009 is the TCM transmission control module is not accessible yet with EFILive but they are working on it. ECM electronic control module is accessible and is where most changes take effect. The ECM and TCM is all EFILive can modify. Other modules like BCM body control harness can not be accessed. Only GM Tech II can access and modify that with authorization from GM service head center office. Tech II is limited to BCM based on VIN number. Other than that the Flashscan II with EFILive can do just about everything else the Tech II can do plus more on ECM and TCM tables. Now I purchased mine through a supporting vendor on the diesel place forum site. I got mine from Nick at www.duramaxtuner.com . Buy through him and he will provide two free tunes as you like with purchase through him. He also has a tune library with several lmm tunes. If the OS of the tune differs from yours then you can get a stock tune of that OS over at Diesel Place forum and then make a script from it. Then apply it to your stock tune and upload in and your set. One nice thing is LBZ and LMM are nearly the same so easily can script a LBZ tune and apply to your LMM tune.

Now once you configure the Flashscan to read codes with detail about the code it makes for a nice code reader for GM vehicles. Plus can be used for stand-alone logging so you can monitor multiple PIDs to see what may be going on and figure out how to tweak it further if you wish to go into that. at this time you need a computer to do upload and download of tunes but the future will offer stand-alone tune uploading and downloading. So one just pulls over. upload a different tune from the sdcard and off you go. You need a sdcard 2gig or smaller. 4gig or larger are sdhc and Flashscan II does not support that standard. Last you may see switchable tuning but it is not supported on 06 LLY, LBZ, or LMM. These are the Bosch ECM and do not have the extra pins like LB7 and LLY pre 06 had to use a DSP5 switch tune.

So you get access to control 2 ECM and 2 TCM from a stock Flashscan II. More licenses for $99 for each addtional one.

To play with you can download the EFILive V7.5 software and install and get some tunes over at diesel place forum to play with. you just run the V7.5 in demo and play all you want.

Now there is some sharing of some tunes at Diesel Place forum in the tune library and sometimes between members. Now some build their tunes or buy tunes from the many different tuners there. One just likes to get some return on thier hard work. I would defiantly call Nick and talk to him. If he doesn;t answer he may be busy in the shop but leave a message. He will get with you. One nice guy.

Let me stop I could go on and on. Any questions just ask here or on one of the other forums.
Brian

joecar
June 15th, 2009, 08:46 AM
jennbab3 (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?u=9155), welcome to the forum.

Stealth97
June 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM
The difference is in the programmer(s). We have Paul Blackmore, aka "Blacky" and Ross "GMPX".

I know nothing about Quadzilla, but I do know EFI Live has support, which is worth more than anything, to me.

killerbee
June 21st, 2009, 02:25 PM
I am now looking at purchasing a tuner for my 09 2500 duramax. I am new to efi live, can someone tell me the advantages to efi live over say quadzilla? Also do other members share tunes or is that on my shoulders, b/c that sounds pretty tough. Thanks in advance!
Rodney

don't let anyone tell you differently, it is tough. Compared to mindless black box, one-tune-fits-all, there is no comparison really. If you have the patience, you can write far better tunes than anything that is stamped out at the cookie factory.

But it is not for everyone, and custom tuning (http://members.cox.net/td-eoc/CUSTOM%20TUNING%20OPTIONS.doc)can often be the correct choice. But beware, there are literally hundreds of so-called commercial tuners out there. Very few are actually any good at it.

LBZ
June 24th, 2009, 06:35 PM
don't let anyone tell you differently, it is tough. Compared to mindless black box, one-tune-fits-all, there is no comparison really. If you have the patience, you can write far better tunes than anything that is stamped out at the cookie factory.

But it is not for everyone, and custom tuning (http://members.cox.net/td-eoc/CUSTOM%20TUNING%20OPTIONS.doc)can often be the correct choice. But beware, there are literally hundreds of so-called commercial tuners out there. Very few are actually any good at it.

X2. I have had EFI for 3 years and I am still EFI Retarded!!:shock: