PDA

View Full Version : Light Throttle Knock Retard

jamesbond2509
October 3rd, 2005, 06:24 PM
I have been getting light throttle KR usually upon tip-in around 2000-2500RPM. I cant seem to shake this off. Please advise on what can be done. Ive removed burst knock and runing 10lbs boost. WOT is OK.

SOS!

Ira
October 3rd, 2005, 08:17 PM
I have been getting light throttle KR usually upon tip-in around 2000-2500RPM. I cant seem to shake this off. Please advise on what can be done. Ive removed burst knock and runing 10lbs boost. WOT is OK.

SOS!

I think that might be a side effect of their attempt to maximize the gas mileage, my 2000 Z28 does the same thing. On cruise at 70 it's fine, but hit a bit of grade and suddenly knock retard. Sometimes you can hear it. I've always assumed it's too much advance for the local 91.

Ira

caver
October 3rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
What are the timing and manifold pressure figures at that point?

2 ways to remove knock. Take away timing or add fuel or both.
Personally I dont think manipulating the KR system so its less sensitive to knock is the right way to do things.

GMPX
October 3rd, 2005, 10:50 PM
Personally I dont think manipulating the KR system so its less sensitive to knock is the right way to do things.

Agree, in fact you can see some GM engineers (Holden) went to some lengths to tune the knock sensitity per cylinder.

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
October 4th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Drive around logging KR, RPM, MAP and then use the histogram/map to guide you in altering the spark table.