PDA

View Full Version : powering a laptop while scanning?

THEFERMANATOR
June 16th, 2009, 01:35 AM
In the box that my EFILIVE V2 came in was a card saying NOT to power your laptop from an inverter while the V2 is connected, doing so will damage the 2 units. What about powering the laptop from the A/C adapter plugged into my garage? Or should I only use batery power from the laptop to powe it? The reason I ask is that the laptop I'm using slows WAY down when on battery power, and the screen on it dims to save battery to the point that I can't hardly see it during the day.

mr.prick
June 16th, 2009, 01:51 AM
This is a controversial topic.
I personally have used a POWERLINE 0900-73 200 without issue.
EFILive condemns the use of DC to AC inverters while using Flashscan.

RonC
June 16th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I have also used an inverter to keep the battery charged while scanning on long trips with no problems. What can happen when using them that creates the problem?

mr.prick
June 16th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Nothing if you have a good inverter, make sure it has surge protection.
They are made for powering electronics, not frying them.
But like I said EFILive condemns the use of them.
You will need to decide whether or not it's worth the "risk".
Many people have not had a problem and the only incident I have heard
about was from Blacky. :hihi:
I don't recall the circumstances but because of this
inverter use will void your warranty.

THEFERMANATOR
June 17th, 2009, 04:07 PM
But what if I am in my shop where land line power is available? Will that void my warranty to powe the laptop through a wall plug in my shop while I'm connected to the V2 and vehicle?

nathans1987
June 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM
what about a dc to dc converter based cigare lighter charger? do they void warrenty because i have seen them around.

nevinsb
June 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
That's what I use.
http://www.lindelectronics.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi/!ORDERID!/aaa/Dell/dbx_gen_mfg_products/