PDA

View Full Version : Vortec head tunes for 5.7L

onegonewild
June 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I recently built a 383 with Vortec heads, VE table is dead on, but am still working on the timing tables. I have adjusted the High Octane Table but am curious to see everyone else's setups to get an idea where i need mine. If someone could share theirs with me would be awesome!! I am going to the track in a few weeks and need to get it somewhat perfect.

I have adjusted WOT timing to the point of about 32 degrees advance and the truck pulls hard but the low RPM timing is my question. Seems like the engine does'nt pull hard below 4000. Thanks guys!!

gmperformancecentre
June 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
post your tune and i'll have a look at it

onegonewild
June 19th, 2009, 12:55 AM
383 internal balance
Mercruiser MPFI ported, 27lb injectors, ported throttle body
Iron 64cc vortec ported and polished
Comp Cams Beehive springs for 0.550 lift, Crane gold rockers 1.5 Camshaft:Comp Cams XFI 280 hydraulic roller, Comp Cams Magnum hydraulic rollers

Cam specs:
Operating Range: 2000-6000 RPM
Duration Advertised: 280° Intake / 288° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 230° Intake / 236° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.6 Rockers: .576'' Intake / .570'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 113°

Stealth97
June 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I have a BADASS 383 tune for a 1997 style PCM. It was tuned professionally and is VERY good for a nice 383 tune. It is in a different format that EFI Live and I'll try to get some time to dig it up and see if I can modify your tune for you.

You might want to PM me and remind me. I'm working 6 days a week right now. Sundays would be a good time for me to do it.

The tune was originally done with LT1Edit, so I'm not sure if it will correspond with EFI Live much but I'll try to give it a try for you soon. Sunday would be a good time to nail me down. Shouldn't even take me more than half an hour to check it all out.

onegonewild
June 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Awesome! I have the VE table pretty well dialed in but all i mainly need is the timing table. If you had to, copy the data to an excel spreadsheet and send that. thanks!!!

onegonewild
June 23rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
Any chance you were able to get that tune converted for me?? Thanks

Stealth97
June 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I had posted the excel spreadsheet showing the timing differences once on another forum and a bunch of assholes went nuts about it because the tune was ORIGINALLY done by Ed Wright. Whine-One-One was called and that was the end of that.

The tune is no longer Ed's (modified). I took down the spreadsheet and refuse to post it again. A bunch of piles of shit ruined THAT for you. Those same pricks are the ones that keep their cards close to their chest and don't really help others with the interesting things, like tuning. They think tuning is the only advantage they have, so they don't help others...hence why you aren't finding any L31 help.

My answer to those that say that the tune is "Ed's property": Are you representing him? Are you his lawyer? The man can speak for himself and is a member here. Ed has plenty of respect from me and I always point customers to his shop.

I know of a million L31 guys who post here and I'm not sure where they have gone and why they won't help you. Hog is one who comes to mind. I think he posts a lot on LS1Tech.

Aloicious
June 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM
wow somebody's upset. I think if you paid for the tune from ed, so then you own it and if you feel like posting it up, that is up to you, and if ed has a problem with that he can contact you in private about it, and anyone else who has a problem with it can shut up unless they are a business partner, lawyer, or other representative of ed's business. afterall, the tune is for your setup. I don't think its any different than say buying a recipe for cookies and then deciding to share that recipe with someone else. after all, its really not like ed would be losing a bunch of business from you sharing one of his tunes, hell, even MANY of his tunes. as I see it, anyone with the equipment and know-how to tune a pcm wouldn't be buying a tune from someone else anyway. his tuning business is focused more on those who need tunes but don't have the ability to tune it themselves. the only "loss" I could see him being upset about is someone sharing what he did to the tune with other tuners who might try to copy his ideas. but even then, a tuner who tries to run a business based off of copying other people's tunes would suck at tuning. ed's tuning ability comes from his experience, something that can't be copied.

anyways, I tune my L31, but the issue I think with yours is that your setup is quite different than others out there. so other people's spark maps most likely wouldnt be the best for you. especially with your cam. I'd share my tune but I am at work and don't have my tuning computer with me. mostly its just mild alterations of a stock L31 timing table. but my setup is also a 350, zz4 cam (.474/.510 lift, 208/221 duration, 112*LSA, quite different than yours), custom modified MPFI intake manifold....so my setup is not very simmilar to yours other than the vortec heads. but if you would like to see one of my tunes I can share it with you. let me know.

tokymon
June 27th, 2009, 08:53 AM
i would like to see this tune i have a similar set-up

thank you

Aloicious
June 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM
i would like to see this tune i have a similar set-up

thank you

just saw this, I'm assuming you're talking about my tune since you've got the ZZ4 cam? let me find one and I'll post it.

Aloicious
June 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM
here's a recent tune. its not perfect but you can take a look at it. it OLMAF, 5.7L L31, T56...

hog
June 30th, 2009, 05:17 PM
383 internal balance
Mercruiser MPFI ported, 27lb injectors, ported throttle body
Iron 64cc vortec ported and polished
Comp Cams Beehive springs for 0.550 lift, Crane gold rockers 1.5 Camshaft:Comp Cams XFI 280 hydraulic roller, Comp Cams Magnum hydraulic rollers

Cam specs:
Operating Range: 2000-6000 RPM
Duration Advertised: 280° Intake / 288° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 230° Intake / 236° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.6 Rockers: .576'' Intake / .570'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 113°

Looks like a cool setup. I have the same injection as you. Thats quite a bit of cam. If you arent getting power under 4000rpm, it sounds like you need a higher stall converter.

Hows it work at higher rpms?

peace
Hog

onegonewild
July 1st, 2009, 01:16 AM
These intakes seem like a pretty modest improvement over the factory poppet style but Damn! these things are heavy!! Anyways, I am running an EDGE racing converter with a 2800 stall but i think i have found my problem. I have been very leanient on the amount of timing in the low end due to knock but i have bumped the curve a bit more on the low rpms so all 32 degrees of advance was in by 3000 rpm. Seems like the truck pulls way hard now all the way up to 6000. Im pretty happy with the engine but i wont know the ETs till friday evening. Im hoping to be in the mid to low 12s. With the 150 progressive shot i plan on using in the future once the timing and fueling is established, I really hope to break in the 10s!! So far i am really enjoying EFI tuning compared to carbs. Anyone can twist a screw but most cant understand how much fuel and spark to place across a full 3D map.

EFILive ROCKS!!

Aloicious
July 1st, 2009, 01:23 AM
These intakes seem like a pretty modest improvement over the factory poppet style but Damn! these things are heavy!! Anyways, I am running an EDGE racing converter with a 2800 stall but i think i have found my problem. I have been very leanient on the amount of timing in the low end due to knock but i have bumped the curve a bit more on the low rpms so all 32 degrees of advance was in by 3000 rpm. Seems like the truck pulls way hard now all the way up to 6000. Im pretty happy with the engine but i wont know the ETs till friday evening. Im hoping to be in the mid to low 12s. With the 150 progressive shot i plan on using in the future once the timing and fueling is established, I really hope to break in the 10s!! So far i am really enjoying EFI tuning compared to carbs. Anyone can twist a screw but most cant understand how much fuel and spark to place across a full 3D map.

EFILive ROCKS!!

yeah EFILive is the best. the benefit of the marine intake comes from the ability to upgrade the injectors, since we know the 19# poppets are the biggest limitation to making power on the stock intake.

onegonewild
July 1st, 2009, 02:11 AM
I'm using 27lb Bosch injectors in mine and seems through all my tuning that i have the LTFT and STFT just about perfect. I;m using your low RPM spark curve below 3000 RPM and seems like the engine pulls awesome now. Thanks for letting me see your basic tune setup. Seems like a cam of this size in my engine likes a bit more timing than the factory tune to wake the engine up.

Aloicious
July 1st, 2009, 02:22 AM
I'm using 27lb Bosch injectors in mine and seems through all my tuning that i have the LTFT and STFT just about perfect. I;m using your low RPM spark curve below 3000 RPM and seems like the engine pulls awesome now. Thanks for letting me see your basic tune setup. Seems like a cam of this size in my engine likes a bit more timing than the factory tune to wake the engine up.

yeah the factory can be pretty conservative. be on the lookout for KR with upping the spark map for any reason though, for safety. glad the tune helped you out. do you have a wideband? or are you tuning the AFR from the trimming?

onegonewild
July 1st, 2009, 02:56 AM
Im using a FJO Wideband to monitor all my AFRs. Im not sure how much i have changed my previous tune but if you can find my tune i posted on this site, I am having a problem with PE. Im at work right now and dont have the tune with me; the problem is that i have it commanded for 12.2 at WOT but i am only getting the max of 12.9 according to my wideband. I have not had a chance to log STFT at WOT to see if they are maxed out to determine if the upper portion of the VE table needs to be lowered for more fuel. What do you think?

Aloicious
July 1st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Im using a FJO Wideband to monitor all my AFRs. Im not sure how much i have changed my previous tune but if you can find my tune i posted on this site, I am having a problem with PE. Im at work right now and dont have the tune with me; the problem is that i have it commanded for 12.2 at WOT but i am only getting the max of 12.9 according to my wideband. I have not had a chance to log STFT at WOT to see if they are maxed out to determine if the upper portion of the VE table needs to be lowered for more fuel. What do you think?

I'd run a few AutoVE sessions, that should help get the VE in better shape

tokymon
July 3rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
thanks Aloicious
this will help me get my timing dial'd in right
i have done the auto ve with me lm-1 but had knock at high map like (92)