PDA

View Full Version : Race only tuning?

67SS509
June 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I have a 98 drag only Camaro. It has a LS7 427 with 24X/25X cam, GMPP intake,92mm TB, 48lb. injectors and a powerglide with a 8" converter.
For racing only what can be eliminated? Closed loop operation, STFT's and LTFT's? Can all timing related tables...WOT and idle be set to 28* across the booard? Basically can it be set up to run entirely off the Commanded Open Loop table, a well tuned VE table and locked timing? What would you have to do with PE tables?
Just looking for a hassel free cranking, idle and WOT with N2O shot.

joecar
June 29th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Set it to run OLSD (see AutoVE tutorial for how to setup).

Correct the VE table and leave it running OLSD.

Set B3605 CFOL and B3618 PE to your target AFR (you may want flat value, or you may vary it from peak tq to peak hp).

You might want to leave B5913 alone, or get it set on the dyno (28 at low RPM during high load might be too much timing, if you ever get into that condition...)...

$0.02

67SS509
June 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks joecar. One more question. Right now I,m running the injector flow rate scaled with rpms. Would you recommend setting them to 48lbs. flat across before I tune up the VE table again?

By the way, my converter is so loose a heavy load at low rpms is impossible!

nevinsb
June 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Only set the IFR to a constant value if you are using a vacuum referenced regulator, otherwise, use the injector calculator to set it up. It should be scaled with VAC. The COS3 can be used to command different AFRs instead of tweaking the VE table.

I used a boost reference regulator on mine, because it was easier to set up, but if you forget to hook it up (or it fails), you are looking at a lean condition under boost.

Does your torque converter lock? You can lock it from the DVT on the dyno and do some more tuning.

67SS509
June 30th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Only set the IFR to a constant value if you are using a vacuum referenced regulator, otherwise, use the injector calculator to set it up. It should be scaled with VAC. The COS3 can be used to command different AFRs instead of tweaking the VE table.

I used a boost reference regulator on mine, because it was easier to set up, but if you forget to hook it up (or it fails), you are looking at a lean condition under boost.

Does your torque converter lock? You can lock it from the DVT on the dyno and do some more tuning.

Hey, thanks for the input. My thoughts are that as long as I'm doing this "manual setup" where I want one afr setting cold, idling or WOT it would be easier with a constant IFR. From what I have have gathered there are no COS's for the 98 PCM.

The converter is full race, flashes to 5600 rpm's and no lockup. I have a FJO wideband and tuning the VE table is very easy because I use so few cells. All it sees is idle and 5800 to 7200 rpm's. (And up on the back wheels!)