PDA

View Full Version : Disable EGR?

shadyst
July 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
I see alot of tunes that have the egr disabled what does that do and should i do it in my tune?

mr.prick
July 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Do you have/want EGR?

Aloicious
July 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
I see alot of tunes that have the egr disabled what does that do and should i do it in my tune?

EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation. it is basically a way of introducing innert gasses into the cylinder to displace some use-able O2 this does a few things. the main idea behind it is to lower NOx emissions by lowering the combustion temperature. other byproduct result of running EGR is that it typically raises fuel efficency slightly. However, it can also make a big nasty mess in the intake, coating everything with carbon from the exhaust gasses, it also does raise the intake air temp when it is active, but it typically is only active at cruizing RPMs and never durring WOT. EGR is a required emissions device in some counties/states, so you'll want to research your area before deciding to remove it or not.

with all that said, I have long been an advocate for keeping EGR due to the positives that it creates. however I have been outside cleaning my intake manifold for the past 5 hours trying to get all that crap out of it. so I am contemplating blocking the EGR off.

also worth noting is that some vehicles don't use an EGR because they get the same effect from their cam profile overlap which allows some exhaust gas to recirculate without running it through the intake manifold.

shadyst
July 2nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
I do have an EGR I was just wondering if its worth any hp to disable it since i see everyone doing that.

mr.prick
July 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Swapping the LS1 intake for the LS6 requires removing the EGR.

Aloicious
July 2nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I do have an EGR I was just wondering if its worth any hp to disable it since i see everyone doing that.

EGR is only active at cruising RPM and TP%, never at WOT, it should not be activated at any other time. so no you won't gain any hp from disabling it.

Aloicious
July 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Swapping the LS1 intake for the LS6 requires removing the EGR.

LS6, I think that is the engine I was thinking of which has the cam overlap to provide the EGR, rather than a external tube and valve.

joecar
July 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
shadyst (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?u=9121),

what car do you have...?

shadyst
July 2nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
i have a 99 camaro with a ls1 but has ls6 intake