PDA

View Full Version : Can Efilive Wipe Locked PCM's

MusicMaker
July 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Evening Gents,

I have access to Efilive and asked my friend if he can wipe my PCM back to a stock tune.

He tried to open but tells me its locked, Can Efilive wipe the current locked tune so I can put a stock tune back on?

I dont care if I loose all the data thats on the current PCM.

The pcm is from a Ls1 Engine (Its a J1 Blue)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer I appreciate it

Many Thanks

MM

mr.prick
July 7th, 2009, 02:40 AM
You can only flash or unlock a PCM with the same cable it was locked with.
There are "other" interfaces that can do what you ask.
I've heard the Drew Tech J2534 can, possibly the Tech II.

Blacky
July 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM
A locked PCM cannot be read or overwritten with any tuning tool including GM's tech2, unless you supply the correct key (or you remove the flash chip from the PCM circuit board).

You would need to contact whoever locked the PCM to get the unlock key.

As a last resort, EFILive offers an unlocking service, for USD $50 (plus shipping) EFILive will unlock your PCM and restore it to stock.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
July 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM
So the Drew Tech J2534 can not overwrite a locked PCM?
Word on the street is that it can reflash a stock bin to a locked PCM and
in some cases recover a PCM from a dead state.

Blacky
July 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
So the Drew Tech J2534 can not overwrite a locked PCM?
Word on the street is that it can reflash a stock bin to a locked PCM and
in some cases recover a PCM from a dead state.

No, nothing can read* or reflash a locked** PCM. GM have spent a lot of time making sure their security works, and it does. Except for early (512K) LS1 PCMs, we found a back door that allows seed/key lock to be easily bypassed. GM fixed it in later operating systems.

* Read means read the entire contents of the PCM's flash memory.

** Locked means the seed/key (i.e. challenge /response) values have been changed from the standard "known" GM values to custom values. There are other ways of "locking" a PCM that don't involve altering the seed/key. I know of at least one tuning package that changes the commands that are used to transfer data to/from the PCM - but that's just security by obscurity.

Recovering an apparently dead*** PCM is trivial and EFILive does it.

*** Dead means the PCM is still able to send/receive data. If the PCM is so dead, that it cannot respond to data on the class-2 bus then nothing can talk to it. In fact a "dead" PCM is not really dead, it is just in manufacturing mode, where limited coms are active but the OS and/or the calibrations are absent (erased). All PCMs arrive on the production line prior to programming, in that mode.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
July 7th, 2009, 07:55 AM
:throw:
Thanks