PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the IAT signal to the PCM

mtnman
October 8th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I'm going through the AutoVE tutorial and it mentions unhooking the MAF.

Well, I've got the 5-pin plug, so according to instructions, I need to "make provisions to get the IAT signal into the PCM". The tutorial says to go to www.efilive.com and I've done a search and looked into the "docs" section and I've found nothing on this. How do I get the IAT signal to the PCM ?

Dirk Diggler
October 8th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Set C2901 to 0 and you will go into SD mode while retaining temperature readings

PSWired
October 8th, 2005, 06:34 AM
I think you're asking how to physically wire the IAT sensor to the PCM?

You'll need to purchase a separate IAT sensor and install it somewhere in your intake tract. Also get the connector kit for it. If you're sure you won't be using your MAF in the future, cut the connector off (leave a few inches of wire in case you want to reconnect it in the future) and connect the two wires that used to go to the integrated IAT sensor in the MAF to the new IAT sensor. You can identify them by looking at the little black thermocouple on the inside of the MAF and seeing which two pins of the MAF connector its leads go to. It's pretty easy to tell on mine at least. Connect using a solder joint covered in adhesive lined heat shrink, or crimp connectors that seal themselves when heated.

VortechC5
October 8th, 2005, 03:44 PM
It is very easy to do. I used the IAT sensor and grommet from a 2000 Vette. The parts set me back about $15 at the dealer. I just wired it up as PSWired said using a connector pigtail that I bought at NAPA. I mounted mine in the output side of my aftercooler. I have been running mine like this for about 2 years with no issues.

mtnman
October 9th, 2005, 06:12 AM
I think you're asking how to physically wire the IAT sensor to the PCM?

You'll need to purchase a separate IAT sensor and install it somewhere in your intake tract. Also get the connector kit for it. If you're sure you won't be using your MAF in the future, cut the connector off (leave a few inches of wire in case you want to reconnect it in the future) and connect the two wires that used to go to the integrated IAT sensor in the MAF to the new IAT sensor. You can identify them by looking at the little black thermocouple on the inside of the MAF and seeing which two pins of the MAF connector its leads go to. It's pretty easy to tell on mine at least. Connect using a solder joint covered in adhesive lined heat shrink, or crimp connectors that seal themselves when heated.

Can I just take all wires except the IAT sensor wire out of the MAF Plug?
I've got a black wire, black with white stripe, tan wire, pink wire and yellow wire. Which one is the wire sending the IAT signal?

kbracing96
October 9th, 2005, 07:29 AM
The black and tan wire next to each other on one end of the plug should be the 2 wires for the air temp sensor.

Ira
October 9th, 2005, 08:11 AM
The only wire you need to pull to disconnect the MAF is the one closest to the electronics. If you look inside the MAF there is a small round thing below the connector, the 2 pins near that are the IAT pins. The pin farthest from those 2 is the one you need to pull. Just be careful, on some modern connectors the pins come out the front, not out the back. The 5 pin MAF connector in my hand is that way, but it's not a GM connector and I know the one's they use look different. The one I have here is used to put 5 pin MAFs in 3 pin MAF cars.

Ira