PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500hd ECM?

dietz4ibanez
July 10th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Looking to upload the right ecm for EFI Live tuning on a 08 Chevy Silverado 2500hd with the 6.0L motor and 6 speed Tranny...

I think that its:

Gen IV LS2 E40 ESM.... Is this right?

Thanks in advance...

Can someone point me to the newbie intro forum??? I know I know... I hate to have this as my first thread!

But I will intro myself soon enough!

Brian

Brian1
July 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Does the ECM already have a tune on it? I would make a backup of stock tune first. When you select the controller it shows a picture of the controller. See if it matches the looks of the controller you have. Couple look real close to each other. Then hit the Status to see if it connects. If so then download tune.

Brian

dietz4ibanez
July 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Does the ECM already have a tune on it? I would make a backup of stock tune first. When you select the controller it shows a picture of the controller. See if it matches the looks of the controller you have. Couple look real close to each other. Then hit the Status to see if it connects. If so then download tune.

Brian

No there is no tune on the truck currently! I need the correct ecm so that I can upload the stock tune to save it to my laptop...

So pretty much I could chose one of the ECM's and it will only connect if its the correct one and wont mess anything up? All I am trying to do is save the stock ECM to figure out what changes I want to make to another file of this...

Thanks for you help!

Brian1
July 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I am not sure which controller it is but if you open EFILive tune and just select the download from ECM ( the flashscan does not need to be connected ) and go through the list of controllers. It will show and image of each one. Thats about all I know to try.

Brian

Chevy366
July 10th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Someone said it might be a E38 , try that first .

Brian1
July 10th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I was not thinking if you have the tune already for a 2008 then it knows what you have in controller. Just load the tune and do a full flash to the controller. I did some searching and looks like 2007 have the E38 like mentioned. No idea if change in 2008. But as long as tune is for a 2008 then it will tell you what the controller is and you can verify the image it shows to the controller it says is on a 2008 tune when you start the flash process.

Brian

ScarabEpic22
July 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Its an 08 Silvy, so its a NBS truck. No NBS Silvy used the E40 (never used in the Silvy platform) or LS1 (OBS). Its an E38 for sure in there, unless its a Duramax.

Read the stock tune out, then save it and copy the saved file to a few locations to be safe. Think Ive got 3 or 4 copies of my stock tune floating around, the next backup of my documents Im throwing all my tune and customer tune files on a DVD.

dietz4ibanez
July 11th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Its an 08 Silvy, so its a NBS truck. No NBS Silvy used the E40 (never used in the Silvy platform) or LS1 (OBS). Its an E38 for sure in there, unless its a Duramax.

Read the stock tune out, then save it and copy the saved file to a few locations to be safe. Think Ive got 3 or 4 copies of my stock tune floating around, the next backup of my documents Im throwing all my tune and customer tune files on a DVD.

Ok... I will try that...

Yeah I have a couple copy's saved around for my Duramax... I have one on my laptop one on my phone and I e-mailed a copy to a bud that wrote the tune for the Dmax.

Brian1
July 11th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Ok the concensus is it is E38 so since the ECM had no tune and you have a tune for the 2008HD 6.0L Vortec then you should be set. Like I said you can look at the image of the controller during the setup of flashing and look at the one in the truck to compare. But I would say your fine. 2008 HD 6.0L Vortec and a 2008HD 6.0L vortec tune and your set. Let us know how it all goes.

Brian

dietz4ibanez
July 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Ok the concensus is it is E38 so since the ECM had no tune and you have a tune for the 2008HD 6.0L Vortec then you should be set. Like I said you can look at the image of the controller during the setup of flashing and look at the one in the truck to compare. But I would say your fine. 2008 HD 6.0L Vortec and a 2008HD 6.0L vortec tune and your set. Let us know how it all goes.

Brian

Ok Will do!

dietz4ibanez
July 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Ok I got the stock ECM saved to a couple places and e-mailed to a friend... Now I will just wait for the tune... I dont have the slightest of what to change..

Unless anyone has a file that they are using for a truck like this...

Brian1
July 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM
So you did have a tune on the ECM? I thought you did not. So was it E38 controller?

Brian

dietz4ibanez
July 11th, 2009, 12:51 PM
So you did have a tune on the ECM? I thought you did not. So was it E38 controller?

Brian

No there is no tune currently on the ECM.. I was just saving the stock tune to go off that but I dont think that I am going to mess with it...

Yeah its was the E38 ECM Gen IV V8

Brian1
July 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Thats was what i was referring to as tune. A stock tune. Well have fun and enjoy whatever you do. I see no problem tuning and getting rid of some of the torquemanagemnt. That should help open it a bit.

Brian

dietz4ibanez
July 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah I will post more details when I get it the way I want it.... This is my brothers truck... I had to make sure that he knew that he was not going to get the same results as I did with my Duramax Diesel...

Brian1
July 12th, 2009, 02:38 AM
No your not gonna be able to get big improvement on a gasser without a turbo or supercharger. You can adjust some timing and remove some of the GM safeties and other stuff to wake up the 6.0L but you need more air to mix with more fuel to get more power. Look in to magnacharger or whipple for more power.

Brian