PDA

View Full Version : changing catalytic temperature

MadHatter
July 13th, 2009, 04:06 AM
warning, newbie question...
I have a C5 and the EFILive but haven't modified my car yet. My friend just bought a C5 and right away took it to a "tuner". Friend brings car over to show me and asks whether my center console gets so hot between the seats that you can't touch it. (I didn't know why that would happen)
I hooked up the scantool so that I can see what mods were made to his car to see if I should do the same to mine and quite by accident see that the catalytic converter temperature has been changed from 750C to 1100C!
Does this sound right? What would the point of this be and is this the cause of the over heated console? I know nothing about nothing yet but it seems to me that this would be a serious fire hazard waiting to happen...

roy
July 13th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Are you talking [B0702] thru [B0705]?
If so that is the temperature that the cat must reach before steps are taken to reduce the temp.
The point of this is to delay the steps the ECM will take to reduce Cat temp.

MadHatter
July 13th, 2009, 05:10 AM
yes, every entry in B0702-5 is set to 1093

WeathermanShawn
July 13th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Usually B0701 is set to 'disable' for many high performance tunes.

Under WOT, the factory tune will dump more fuel in to protect the catalytic converters. I set B0701 to disable.

As long as you avoid 3-4 successive WOT runs of 15 seconds or more, you will not burn up your cats. I have headers w/cats, for over 3 years and they are running great.

Otherwise your WOT AFR will be ~11.8 if you do not set COTP to disable.

MadHatter
July 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
his car is bone stock and is used as a daily driver so I guess my question is whether this is a good thing to be messing with?
Also, another dumb question...I was going to make a few minor changes to my car and read through all the warnings about not flashing while the module is connected to the car (should be moved to bench with harness). Is this a cover their butt kind of thing and most people will still flash with everything connected or should I heed their warnings?