PDA

View Full Version : major spike in VE table after Auto VE input

pullincrazy88
July 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
My VE table has a major spike in it after doing an Auto VE. From what i know you are supposed to do an Auto VE, input it into the VE table and then smooth it. repeat untill all hit 1.00 on the Auto VE log. but with this major spike it will raise the entire table a great amount before it ever even comes close to being gone.

Was wondering if i should take the values for the spike out and replace them with a number more inline with the rest of the table, smooth it and then re-insert the spike and leave it?

joecar
July 14th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Are you filtering out transient data points (including DFCO)...?

Post some screenshots and some tune/log files.

pullincrazy88
July 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Here is what i have so far. this is my last VE log and it has been applied to the VE table.5808

Just got this 411 pcm swapped in so if you see anything else in the tune file you find alarming feel free to comment. I still have much to learn, and any input is greatly appriciated.

pullincrazy88
July 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
also the filter i have been using for the log data should be the one that comes up when u hit the filter key. if there is anything else i really should be filtering out it would help me to know if you would

joecar
July 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Look at the filter's properties... you will have to filter out DFCO by excluding closed throttle and low MAP.

(I can't view your files right now, I'll view them later).

pullincrazy88
July 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
i believe they are set to be filtered out. but i took the spike and eliminated it. smoothed the table and did a few more Auto VE's. the spike never came back so i left it out.

joecar
July 16th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Hmmm... the spike was just some spurious data.

Some further comments:
- set B3608 and B3609 to zero when you later go to use PE again;
- set the upper right corner of B3605 to the same as the middle/lower right portion (what happens if you're lugging at low speed in high gear and you open the throttle...?);
- B4001 indicates you have a MAP-referenced FPR, is this what you have...?
- I see some KR in the log (sawtooth pattern means it's definitly real knock):
-- timing above 28 degrees at higher rpm seems too high, try retarding to 28;
-- log shows WOT AFR is 12.8, you could try richer at 12.6;
- what are your mods...?
- shift pressure tables seem low, try to hit 80+ psi by the time you reach ~300 ftlb;
- set the throttle kickdown tables to 100% all across otherwise these tables will interfere with the PT up/down shift tables.

pullincrazy88
July 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM
yes my FPR is MAP referenced. and i will look at those tables tomorrow.

the motor has a cam and the heads have been redone with a mild port job on the intake side. and a 5 angle valve job. swapped in some Bosch 36 LBS injectors (this is at 4 BAR).

eficalibrator
July 17th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Guys, this is a PRIME example of why it's so much better to just get on a proper load bearing chassis dyno to do your mapping. If you use a loaded dyno and go through the table cell by cell in STEADY STATE, you won't have to worry about post-processing to weed out the bad data anywhere near as much.

AUTOVE is a powerful tool, but if you feed it crap by logging lots of "normal" driving, you're going to pollute your data. The fundamental thing you're trying to tune is a steady state pumping model of the engine. The best way to calibrate this is by performing steady state testing to collect your data at as many points as possible. Two hours on a loaded dyno usually gets you further than two weeks of testing on the open road. Think about that for a minute before your next "tooning" session.

Chevy366
July 17th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Guys, this is a PRIME example of why it's so much better to just get on a proper load bearing chassis dyno to do your mapping. If you use a loaded dyno and go through the table cell by cell in STEADY STATE, you won't have to worry about post-processing to weed out the bad data anywhere near as much.======= As anyone knows not all cells are needed during operation of a engine , meaning AuotVEing and hitting all the cells is not necessary . The range of cells altered during a street VE session is where the needed cells occur , you don't drive on a Dyno do you ? No doubt a Dyno is a great tool , but VE and MAF tuning on the street is fine , Timing is better done on a Dyno .

AUTOVE is a powerful tool, but if you feed it crap by logging lots of "normal" driving, you're going to pollute your data. The fundamental thing you're trying to tune is a steady state pumping model of the engine. The best way to calibrate this is by performing steady state testing to collect your data at as many points as possible. Two hours on a loaded dyno usually gets you further than two weeks of testing on the open road. Think about that for a minute before your next "tooning" session.===== Makes us sound as if we are hillbillies and making our cars run on corn mash . Well if it was E85 .
Hey I like 'tooning' , especially when Daffy Duck is on .

pullincrazy88
July 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM
ok my VE table is pretty close now so i put the truck back in closed loop to see how it reacted and alot of the time when ur at higher speeds and the throttle is closed. the engine will go lean off my WBo2 gauge from about 2000 down to 1500. you can hear it bog the engine down and feel it to.

i looked at the VE table and there is not any major changes in the flow of the table at low MAP. Would there be any other reason why this is happending?

joecar
July 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Post log/tune files.

waterbug1999
July 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Guys, this is a PRIME example of why it's so much better to just get on a proper load bearing chassis dyno to do your mapping. If you use a loaded dyno and go through the table cell by cell in STEADY STATE, you won't have to worry about post-processing to weed out the bad data anywhere near as much.

AUTOVE is a powerful tool, but if you feed it crap by logging lots of "normal" driving, you're going to pollute your data. The fundamental thing you're trying to tune is a steady state pumping model of the engine. The best way to calibrate this is by performing steady state testing to collect your data at as many points as possible. Two hours on a loaded dyno usually gets you further than two weeks of testing on the open road. Think about that for a minute before your next "tooning" session.

I wish the shops wouldnt charge so much...

mr.prick
July 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I wish the shops wouldnt charge so much...

Dynos and stream licenses are not cheap. :bawl:

pullincrazy88
July 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM
the tune this is happening with has the same tune i posted earlier but just in closed loop