PDA

View Full Version : 3bar spark strangeness above 512 g/sec

QUICKSILVER2002
October 8th, 2005, 01:32 PM
I'm running the 3bar os and just started having some spark strangeness. I have been working my way up to full boost, and this problem just happened for the first time (first day I have been above 10psi).

My spark is dropping for unexplained reasons once I hit 512 g/sec ) according to the GM.DYNAIR pid).

One thing a bit strange about my spark is that I have been using the fuel mixture spark correction table to add some timing. I can change that and just go back to the raw high-low table, but I still can't figure out why my spark dropped so much in this case.

It went down to 14*. The high-low tables are 17 (from .88 and up at this RPM) and the mixture correction should have been adding 3. It ran 20* right up until the DYNAIR pid hit 511.99 (which seems to be the limit for it). It then dropped to as low as 14. I was hitting about 175 kpa at 6k rpms

I know the 512g/sec # is magic in the PCM, but I thought it was just a MAF airflow limit.

I had no KR and no correction from the IAT or the boost tables should have been in effect.

I’m going to go back and get rid of the mixture correction and see if that clears some of it up, but I think some other strangeness is going on here.

Any ideas?

GMPX
October 9th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Just a few suggestions......

'I' prefer the PID - GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA to monitor airflow, this is the exact value the PCM is using for the table lookups.

I suggest you monitor GM.EST_TRQ_DMA to see if torque management is pulling the timing out.

Cheers,
Ross

QUICKSILVER2002
October 9th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Just a few suggestions......

'I' prefer the PID - GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA to monitor airflow, this is the exact value the PCM is using for the table lookups.

I suggest you monitor GM.EST_TRQ_DMA to see if torque management is pulling the timing out.

Cheers,
Ross

I found the problem. It was burst knock.

My boost VE was ramping up real fast in that area (since I had not hit it yet) and it caused some false burst knock detection.

I had never seen burst knock before and assumed it was part of the KR PID. I guess it is not.

This is probably going to be a common problem when people are first getting their boost VE table dialed in.