PDA

View Full Version : PCMforLess chip mod, EFILive only, or both?

gadgetball
July 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM
What I am wondering is this: If I'm looking to open up the full potential of my truck, do I need to have my ECM chip remodded from PCMforLess, or will EFILive do everything PCMforLess could do?
Not wanting to mess with EFILive myself, so found a local shop that is gonna work with me. Problem is its sorta pricey - $600. PCMforLess chip mod is $200. is that $200 just a waste of money since I'm doing EFILive? Or will the chip mod be necessary/be beneficial before hooking my truck up to EFILive?

PCMforLess (though I'm sure you already know what they do) is gonna change air/fuel ratios, shift patterns/shift firmness (i chose level 3), remove speed limiter, etc. they also asked what mods ive done

2006 TB LT 4.2 I6 4x4
Magnaflow exhaust and cat with 3" piping throughout
K&N series 53 CAI
currently 275/45/20 (stock was 245/65/17)
E3 spark plugs and TB has just been cleaned
BellTech 3/4 lowered
80K miles

Thanks for any help as to whether I should or should not spend the $200 on PCMforLess chip mod. Am DEFINITELY doing EFILive regardless.

Chevy366
July 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM
What I am wondering is this: If I'm looking to open up the full potential of my truck, do I need to have my ECM chip remodded from PCMforLess, or will EFILive do everything PCMforLess could do?
Not wanting to mess with EFILive myself, so found a local shop that is gonna work with me. Problem is its sorta pricey - $600. PCMforLess chip mod is $200. is that $200 just a waste of money since I'm doing EFILive? Or will the chip mod be necessary/be beneficial before hooking my truck up to EFILive?

PCMforLess (though I'm sure you already know what they do) is gonna change air/fuel ratios, shift patterns/shift firmness (i chose level 3), remove speed limiter, etc. they also asked what mods ive done

2006 TB LT 4.2 I6 4x4
Magnaflow exhaust and cat with 3" piping throughout
K&N series 53 CAI
currently 275/45/20 (stock was 245/65/17)
E3 spark plugs and TB has just been cleaned
BellTech 3/4 lowered
80K miles

Thanks for any help as to whether I should or should not spend the $200 on PCMforLess chip mod. Am DEFINITELY doing EFILive regardless.

Kind of confused , if you are going to buy EFILive , then tune it yourself [best thing and can do all the things listed] , or buy a PCMforless tune then load the tune after you buy EFILive ?
Either way buy a EFILive V2 , a Wideband and tune away .

Gil

wait4me
July 16th, 2009, 02:52 AM
EFIlive gives you FULL access to all the things needed to make the most power from your truck. At that point, it is up to you to get to that point. Timing, fuel and transmission are all that are needed to be modified to achieve your goal. Not that complicated if you read the tables. No mail in tuner would be able to get it better if you take your time and set it up how YOU like it.