PDA

View Full Version : I have a unique and irritating problem with my 402 '01 Firehawk

the Dragon
July 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Is it possible for SOMEthing in the tune to cause the car to go intermittently lean on ONE side of the motor only???

I'm using the factory OS MAF tuned with 36 lb injectors, brand new racetronics pump, etc.

The lean condition usually occurs at light throttle, less than 12%, cruising from 2000-2600 rpm's.

BUT it doesn't happen all the time OR even often at all. My shop didn't notice the spike yet but I told them to take it out for a steady cruise o the highway and it should show up.

They already checked for leaks by the O2 sensor on the drivers-side of the Kooks 1 7/8-2" headers (it goes lean on the drivers side only)

When the incident occurs, the passenger side will read -6.x lterms while the drivers side will go +25%. Obviously the car will begin to stumble and backfire form all the fuel being dumped in. My wideband will shoot to 17 af at this time.

They checked the fuel pressure at the rails; perfectly fine.

Any suggestions?????

WeathermanShawn
July 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Normally for one bank to go lean, you suspect the validity of that banks narrowband O2 sensor, or an injector.

You could always post up your tune, but I would still suspect it is something other than the tune.

the Dragon
July 16th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to be certain that it wasn't tune related. I suspect it's the CRAP MSD coils failing; causing low rpm misfires and the perceived lean.

Frost led me to the idea :)

I know I am probably going to get in over my head trying to answer this question, but I will try.

Normally for one bank to go lean, you suspect the validity of that banks narrowband O2 sensor, or an injector.

I will stop there, as I do not pretend to be a mechanic. I can not think of anything in a tune that would cause it, unless someone had really altered the O2 switchpoints or something major like that.

You could always post up your tune, but I would still suspect it is something other than the tune.

Good luck..

..WeathermanShawn..

WeathermanShawn
July 16th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I once used the MSD Coils for my LS1. My experience was not good. A coil failed within 6 months.

I put a fresh series of the stock coils back on, and got my cylinder back.

No disrespect to the Manufacturer. Just truthfully sharing my personal experience.