PDA

View Full Version : 7.3 download

curtbriggs
October 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I followed the 13 steps in the 7.3 upgrade instructions, copied all the unziped files to Program Files in my laptop just like 7.2 on my desktop in windows explorer. (I dragged them to my new EFILive73 folder)
When I click on the scan or tune Icon, I get a "dynamic link library FPD2XX.DLL couldn't be found in the specific path C:\Program Files, bla, bla."
What did I do wrong or not do.

Thanks for the help, Curt

kp
October 8th, 2005, 04:21 PM
sounds like the icon you are clicking is not a shortcut to the .exe in the program files/efilive folder but the .exe file itself.

Blacky
October 8th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Did you uninstall V7.2 first? If so you'll need to re-install 7.2 then re-apply the 7.3 update.

Or maybe this is the problem:
The FTD2XX.dll file drives the USB interface to FlashScan it needs to be in the same folder as the EFILive_Scan.exe and EFILive_Tune.exe files. If you copied the exe files to the desktop instead of shortcuts to the exe's (like kp said) then you may also get that message. That is because the exe's "current folder" (the desktop) does not contain the FTD2XX.dll file.

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
October 8th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Did you uninstall V7.2 first? If so you'll need to re-install 7.2 then re-apply the 7.3 update.

Or maybe this is the problem:
The FTD2XX.dll file drives the USB interface to FlashScan it needs to be in the same folder as the EFILive_Scan.exe and EFILive_Tune.exe files. If you copied the exe files to the desktop instead of shortcuts to the exe's (like kp said) then you may also get that message. That is because the exe's "current folder" (the desktop) does not contain the FTD2XX.dll file.

Regards
Paul

It's a new laptop, I even had to load windows and drivers, no 7.2 installed. I had to download winzip and it unziped 7.3 in it's program. Paul, should I install 7.2, download 7.3 as I understand from the above. I'll work on the rest of your reply.
Thanks, Curt

Blacky
October 9th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Yes, you definitely need to do at least one install from the CD, then you can add in the updated files for V7.3.
V7.3 as downloaded from our web site does not contain all the files - only the ones that have changed.
We will be making a complete installation CD of V7.3 available shortly.

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
October 9th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Yes, you definitely need to do at least one install from the CD, then you can add in the updated files for V7.3.
V7.3 as downloaded from our web site does not contain all the files - only the ones that have changed.
We will be making a complete installation CD of V7.3 available shortly.

Regards
Paul

Paul, thanks for the help. I did a search for the FTD2XX.dll file and it isn't there. I'll run the EFILive CD.

Cheers, Curt

curtbriggs
October 9th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I re installed 7.3 with the old 7.1 CD installed. Followed the new 9 step instructions.
Now when I try to open Tune, the new 7.3 page comes up but with an error message: Duplicate *PRN Mame: GM.ETCPPS1. When I close the error message the Tune program closes.

When I open Scan, I get the new 7.3 page and the horiqontal blue bar apears with "generating error report" and then the Scan program closes.

I didn't do steps 6,7 and 8 as for now I didn't see the need.
Well, 2 steps forward, 1 step back, but I've learned a few things.

Thanks, Curt

Blacky
October 9th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I re installed 7.3 with the old 7.1 CD installed. Followed the new 9 step instructions.
Now when I try to open Tune, the new 7.3 page comes up but with an error message: Duplicate *PRN Mame: GM.ETCPPS1. When I close the error message the Tune program closes.

When I open Scan, I get the new 7.3 page and the horiqontal blue bar apears with "generating error report" and then the Scan program closes.

I didn't do steps 6,7 and 8 as for now I didn't see the need.
Well, 2 steps forward, 1 step back, but I've learned a few things.

Thanks, Curt

V7.3 includes many new "double checks" that were not done in V7.1 or 7.2
One of those checks is to check for PIDs with duplicate names.
Make sure the following two files:
\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration\sae_generic.txt
\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration\gm_enhanced.prn
are both up to date files from the V7.3 download.
Also make sure that the duplicate PID is not somehow configured into the file:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt

Sorry for the *extreme* manual update procedure. The CD based auto installation program is being built this week.

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
October 10th, 2005, 06:44 AM
V7.3 includes many new "double checks" that were not done in V7.1 or 7.2
One of those checks is to check for PIDs with duplicate names.
Make sure the following two files:
\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration\sae_generic.txt
*******both dated 8-16-05

\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration\gm_enhanced.prn
******both dated 9-21-05

are both up to date files from the V7.3 download.
Also make sure that the duplicate PID is not somehow configured into the file:
********Opened .txt and no duplication of units, slot or PRN, nothing about PIDs

Thanks, Curt

Blacky
October 10th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Can you please send me the three files:
\Prgram Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration\sae_generic.txt
\Prgram Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration\gm_enhanced.prn

And can you please extract the EFILive registry settings as follows:
Start->Run, enter regedit and click [Ok]
Navigate to the key: \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.
Right click on the V7 key and select Export, enter a filename and click [Save]. Then send the exported file to me as well, thanks.

Send the files to paul@efilive.com - thanks.

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
October 10th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Paul, I just deleted everything. I thought I would install the CD then upgrade to 7.2.2 and then try to load 7.3.

Thanks, Curt

Blacky
October 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Paul, I just deleted everything. I thought I would install the CD then upgrade to 7.2.2 and then try to load 7.3.

Thanks, Curt

That is also worth trying, only send the files if that does not fix the problem.

You could also try deleting the registry settings by deleting the V7 key that I described above (and everything under it) which will reset EFILive's configuration.
EFILive will see its registry settings have been deleted and re-create all those settings with installation defaults.

Paul

curtbriggs
October 10th, 2005, 10:55 AM
All the above didn't work. files email sent. I've done it 4-5 times and the manual install isn't hard to do or screw up. I copied and pasted. Can't see how I could screw that up. I have a friend "Patches" that installed 7.3 (earlier then -010) He didn't have a problem that I know of. Maybe I'm jinxed. I wonder how many have downloaded 7.3, only one of several that I know of.

Curt

curtbriggs
October 10th, 2005, 11:48 AM
The error message changed to:

Duplicate *PRN name: GM.MAP

Searched all the files can't find anything with the .MAP extension.

What's *PRN ??

curtbriggs
October 10th, 2005, 11:58 AM
The error message changed to:

Duplicate *PRN name: GM.MAP

Searched all the files can't find anything with the .MAP extension.

What's *PRN ??

Means: "Parameter Reference Numbers" found it in calc_pids

Curt

Blacky
October 10th, 2005, 12:50 PM
The duplicate GM.MAP error is caused by an old version of gm_enhanced.prn. That file had a duplicate PID in it from day 1.
It only became an error once we added the duplicate PID checking code to V7.3

We fixed that file with the latest V7.3 download.

Make sure the latest version of gm_enhanced.prn is in the folder specified by the Configuration string in EFILive's registry settings.
By default it is \Program files\EFILive\V7\Configuration, but it may have been changed - depending on where you have installed EFILive.

See image.

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
October 10th, 2005, 01:55 PM
[quote="Blacky"]The duplicate GM.MAP error is caused by an old version of gm_enhanced.prn. That file had a duplicate PID in it from day 1.
It only became an error once we added the duplicate PID checking code to V7.3

We fixed that file with the latest V7.3 download.

Make sure the latest version of gm_enhanced.prn is in the folder specified by the Configuration string in EFILive's registry settings.
By default it is \Program files\EFILive\V7\Configuration, but it may have been changed - depending on where you have installed EFILive.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I installed V7.3_10 Oct 5/05
In Windows Explorer, My Dociments, there is V7 with 14 folders (Bug reports, etc.) Program Files is where V7.2.2 is and where I copied All the V7.3_010 files to. My Documents is where Win Zip put V7.3_010, this where I copied the files from.
In the Registry Editor, I see Dir, Configuration, How do I know what version it is as it's not dated. What do I do with it? I'm now in unfamiliar teritory.

Thanks for all your help, I've really learned allot about files, etc in the last two days.

Thanks, Curt

Blacky
October 10th, 2005, 08:45 PM
In the Registry Editor, I see Dir, Configuration, How do I know what version it is as it's not dated. What do I do with it? I'm now in unfamiliar teritory.

The reason for looking in the registry is to make sure that the folder specified for "Configuration" (i.e. the one circled in red in the image above) is *exactly* the folder that contains the gm_enhanced.prn file from the V7.3-010 download.

I have a suspicion that the registry entry for Configuration is referencing some other folder that contains an older version of gm_enhanced.prn file.

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
October 11th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Hooray!!!!!!!!
I final got it working. The configuration files weren't updating. The 7.3 configuration files copied as a sub folder to the 7.2.2 configuration folder. I had to go to 7.3, high light configuration, Edit, select all, copy the field and past to the 7.2.2 configuration folder after deleting the sub folder.
You will see the new (date) files among the old files.
Scan and Tune now open and seem to be OK, all are 7.3.

Cheers, Curt