PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem with Roadrunner unit

schwoch1
July 20th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Had a strange problem with my roadrunner unit today while driving w/ laptop hooked up. For lack of better wording, the Roadruner pissed it's pants and forgot it's name and left me stranded. the fuel pump relay was in buzz mode and then finally stopped doing that, but now all I get is a short fuel pump turn on (.5 sec at the most) and a MIL illuminated, but w/ no codes present. I tried reflashing the RR with no luck, still the same thing! I am using a Dell D610 laptop (that I have been for almost a year) and a Lind Electronics 12 volt power adapter. I switched back to my standard PCM (sucks when you are used to a RR) and using the same laptop and power adapter, everything works AOK. What could be causing this and what can I do to get the RR unit to come back online? I read earlier that the V2 units are touchy to power inverters, but this is a DC to DC power supply that is recomended by Dell for their laptops!!! ANy help would be appreciated, as I already miss my RR!!!!

Mike

mr.prick
July 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Did you try a hard reset? (link in sig)
If you don't have the flash chip try removing the
PCM BATT+PCM IGN fuses with the key on (engine off) for 10 minutes.
I have a RR without the flash chip and had to remove the internal battery to "wake it up".

hquick
July 20th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Did you try just turning everything off and sitting for a few minutes?
Had this EXACT problem a month ago when I was in Canada.
At the exact instant that I plugged the RR into the laptop....(if it was being powered by the power supply), the truck would completely die.
Running off battery was fine...power supply killed it immediately.
Got the whacky pump relay issue as well as the short prime.
This all happened about 6 times.
Each time....sat for 5-10 mins and all was good again.

schwoch1
July 21st, 2009, 05:48 AM
Did you try just turning everything off and sitting for a few minutes?
Had this EXACT problem a month ago when I was in Canada.
At the exact instant that I plugged the RR into the laptop....(if it was being powered by the power supply), the truck would completely die.
Running off battery was fine...power supply killed it immediately.
Got the whacky pump relay issue as well as the short prime.
This all happened about 6 times.
Each time....sat for 5-10 mins and all was good again.

Yep, sounds like 100% what is happening to me. Have you been able to use the RR unit with some sort of power supply or am I shit out of luck when it comes to using a power supply?
The truck quit the second I plugged in the power supply to the laptop. It works fine with the AC plugged into the wall in the shop, but the moment I used the DC power supply, game over.....
ANyone have any luck with power supplies and the RR units?

Mike

mr.prick
July 21st, 2009, 06:15 AM
I have used an inverter for quite some time and never had this happen.
Powering up the inverter when battery voltage was 13.5v would result in
the RR "stumbling" but not stalling the car.
After upgrading my battery cables to 2AWG there is no interruption at all.

I have heard some trucks have issues with Flashing in general, this maybe due to
wiring or other modules on the class 2 data bus.
Your sig shows you have a custom set up with an LS1 controller so I imagine this does not apply to you.

hquick
July 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM
Yeah....I think you need an inverter rather than the cig lighter power supply.
I have used an inverter alot with no issues.
I think my buddy in Canada has since used an inverter successfully.