PDA

View Full Version : Unit Selection Problem in VE?

4wheels
July 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
For some reason I don't seem to be able to specify units for the 1 & 2 bar VE tables (i.e. B8021, B8023, B8101, B8103, etc.). The only VE field I can specify any units on is B8105. Without being to specify units for the 1 bar & 2 bar tables the linked scan tool data doesn't track the VVE table correctly when I play back a log file, unless I use the 3 bar B8105 table. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

mr.prick
July 27th, 2009, 01:41 AM
It looks like you will have to use metric units for all those tables.
There maybe a reason for this or maybe it got overlooked.

GMPX
July 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I 'think' the reason we did this was to account for the fact that the Virtual VE table MAP values are built off the values in tables B8021 & B8023, if those were set to imperial and the Virtual VE table was Metric then it would fail spectacularly.
"But Ross, I live in the USA, we don't use stupid metric", yes I understand that, but the native units in these ECM's is metric based. I will experiment with allowing the imperial change and see what happens. The Virtual VE calculations might have to be in metric due to the formula used, I'll have to check with Paul on that.

Cheers,
Ross

mr.prick
July 27th, 2009, 11:08 AM
"But Ross, I live in the USA, we don't use stupid metric"
Cheers,
Ross

I couldn't have said it better myself. :laugh:
It maybe be a little more work for you guys at EFILive but
supporting imperial units is appreciated by a lot of customers. :thumb_yello:
The schools here only teach us how to put on condoms and that
me must spend more money to avoid going broke. (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/Content/Article.aspx?rsrcid=51162)
Nobody ever mentioned the metric system when I was in school. :chair:

Blacky
July 27th, 2009, 01:39 PM
The Virtual VE calculations might have to be in metric due to the formula used, I'll have to check with Paul on that.

Correct, the conversion from coefficients to VE table and back again is not trivial. All of the internal mathematical operations that EFILive performs during that conversion process require the MAP units to be kPa. It could be altered to allow MAP to be specified in other units but doing so is not high a priority.

Regards
Paul

GMPX
July 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Nobody ever mentioned the metric system when I was in school.Funny, nobody mentioned imperial when I was at school, and I'm 37!
Maybe this will be Obama's next challenge, though it looks like he's started in Kentucky already....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Bowling_Green_Distance_Sign.jpg

mr.prick
July 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM
HAHA!
There are a few places that erected signs like in the 80's thinking we would switch. :music_whistling_1:
It's like Soccer, here it will never catch on.
Why the world decided to use the Metric system is beyond me.
Didn't the Greeks, Romans and all the ancients use something that resembles Imperial measurement? :nixweiss:
I'd rather walk 10 miles than 16 kilometers, it is shorter. ;)

4wheels
July 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
OK well good to know that I wasn't crazy, and there's a requirement for kPa in order for the calculations to work properly. However, even when I tried setting everything to metric, the link between scan & tune data doesn't seem to track properly for these fields.

GMPX
July 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
HAHA!
Why the world decided to use the Metric system is beyond me.
Actually, you can blame the French, they came up with it in the 18th century. But don't feel left out because you stuck with the Imperial system, you are in good company with countries like Myanmar, Liberia and ummm, well, it's better than going it alone :pokey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Metric_system_adoption_map.svg

GMPX
July 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
OK well good to know that I wasn't crazy, and there's a requirement for kPa in order for the calculations to work properly. However, even when I tried setting everything to metric, the link between scan & tune data doesn't seem to track properly for these fields.
Ensure the units in the scantool match (set SAE.MAP to metric).

mr.prick
July 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Actually, you can blame the French, they came up with it in the 18th century. But don't feel left out because you stuck with the Imperial system, you are in good company with countries like Myanmar, Liberia and ummm, well, it's better than going it alone :pokey:
:doh2:
Great minds think alike?

4wheels
July 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Ensure the units in the scantool match (set SAE.MAP to metric).

I'm using the BBL in v8. When I select & program the PID's into FlashScan it always shows the units in Metric. However in the display tab I had selected "Custom" units instead of the default "Metric. Is this where I confused it? If so, it's not as intuitive in this area as the scan tool dashboard still lets me display the MAP in both PSI and kPa.

4wheels
July 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM
OK think I figured this out... I'm still getting used to the program & options & BBL. So I managed to get it working by clearing the data then changing the PID setting in scantool to metric for this PID, then reload the log file. Somehow I thought this was going to be a little more direct from the v8 PID settings and didn't know I could go back & change the PID settings in the scantool like this.

GMPX
July 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Ah, I was thinking PC based, not BBL.