PDA

View Full Version : Vortec 350 question's

Vortec Patrol
July 26th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Howdy all,
I have a Vortec 350 in my Nissan Patrol Winch Challenge race 4wd here in Australia.
I dont have the standard ECU/PCM controlling the engine, I have a Microtech LT-8 hooked up to it.
I have a few questions in regard's to the crank angle sensor and the triggering system for the ignition.
It has a 3 wire plug to the Crank Angle Sensor, they are Orange ( or faded red) Purple and Yellow and the water seal is purple.
What one of these wire's is the + (Pos) which one is the - ( Neg) and which one is the signal wire?
Also is the trigger from the Crank Angle Sensor + or -
The reluctor is a 4 blade style one, and the ECU has been set-up to suit a hall effect style ignition, is this going to work? If not what style does the standard ECU/PCM run?
Thank's for any help you can give me as there is bugger all info down here on this engine!

Cheer's all,

Steve.

hquick
July 27th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Steve,
PM 'LEXTECH' (Jeff).
Jeff's a Lexus Technician but I'm sure he would have the info you need to know.
In the mean time....I'll look up the wiring for you.

OK..should be

PINK: Ignition feed (the one you said is orange/faded red....I'm guessing).
PURPLE: Sensor return
YELLOW: Crank position sensor signal

If you have an email address I can email the wiring diagram to you. (email me at hquick@bigpond.com ).

hquick
July 27th, 2009, 08:46 AM
http://search.ebscohost.com/Community.aspx?community=y&authtype=uid&ugt=723731863C3635973736350632553E4221E364D3651367 9360E324E336133503&return=y

User ID = greatfalls
Password = publiclibrary

EDIT: Link now working!

Vortec Patrol
July 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Cheer's Heap's hquick,

So it sounds like i have the senxor wired right then!
I have the 12v (+) power to the pink, the black (-) to the purple and the 5v signal wire to the yellow.................but still no signal to the ECU while the engine is cranking?
Maybe the CAS has died?..........where do i get a replacement? I have talked to Holden's and they have obsoleted all of there Suburban stuff?
Will send ya a e-mail and have a chin-wag with ya,

Thank's heaps,

Steve.

P.S.
Oh and here is a pic of the rig for you so you know when we come over to Vic for race's
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/et4wd/DSCF0875.jpg

Lextech
July 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hey Steve,
I PM'd you. The Pink wire is 12 volts in. The Purple wire is the signal wire back to the PCM. The Yellow wire is the low reference/ ground wire. The Purple should be a square wave signal back to the PCM. The PCM will need to be setup for the 4x reluctor--Not Hall effect.

Jeff

hquick
July 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Jeff.

Vortec Patrol
July 27th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hey Steve,
I PM'd you. The Pink wire is 12 volts in. The Purple wire is the signal wire back to the PCM. The Yellow wire is the low reference/ ground wire. The Purple should be a square wave signal back to the PCM. The PCM will need to be setup for the 4x reluctor--Not Hall effect.

Jeff

Thank's Jeff,
I will go and rewire the plug in a minute!
So not hall effect hey!.....I thought so! the old schematic's i had on the old ECU said reluctor style, hope they can reconfigure it again!

Thank's heap's for ya help, I would have answered the PM but im having a heap of trouble getting it to come up....and stay there!
I will have a cold beer in the fridge for you and hquick when you come around!

Cheer's heap's

Steve.

hquick
July 27th, 2009, 01:22 PM
This is what I had.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/hquick/cranksensorcct.jpg

Whippled2dr
July 27th, 2009, 05:09 PM
This is what I had.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/hquick/cranksensorcct.jpg

SENS SIG proabably means sensor (SENS) signal (SI) ground (G).

Vortec Patrol
July 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Thank's fella's,
I have wired the CAS as Lextech has told me....and surprise, surprise the ECU will still not fire!
I have power to the green signal wire to the ECU but it still wont fire the module.
Thankyou all for ya help it has been great!.......It is now a waiting game until Microtech work out they have configured it wrong and take it back to do it with the reluctor style.

Thanks again,

Steve.

hquick
July 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Link in 3rd post is now working.