PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here needing some help

rennoc442
July 29th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Hey guys I am new so please bear with me! I finally did the 411 "swap" in my 97 and it runs! I am running the 02 express van tune and needed some help. I finally got the egr hooked up and still it seems to be running a lil rough at idle, not like it used to be. I have attached my tune file and a 100 frame log file, so any help would be reallly swell!

Thanks!

Aloicious
July 29th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Hey guys I am new so please bear with me! I finally did the 411 "swap" in my 97 and it runs! I am running the 02 express van tune and needed some help. I finally got the egr hooked up and still it seems to be running a lil rough at idle, not like it used to be. I have attached my tune file and a 100 frame log file, so any help would be reallly swell!

Thanks!

Hey bro, welcome to the site. there are alot of very knowledgeable, and helpful folks over here. tuning is fun, there's just a bit of a learning curve to it, so don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

I got your PM over on FSC. I'm not around my tuning computer at the moment, but I'll check out your tune a little later today and see if I can catch anything.

rennoc442
July 29th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Very cool man I appreicate it, seems like its alot to learn, but im sure I will figure it out. I just wish there was like someone who I could sit down with and have like a crash learning course in the tuner.

Since I have a volant cold air intake, what parameters would I change to fully utilize this? Im guessing air and spark? There is more air flow, but wouldnt the maf reconize that anyway? I dont think it would help much for my mileage and performance.

Aloicious
July 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Very cool man I appreicate it, seems like its alot to learn, but im sure I will figure it out. I just wish there was like someone who I could sit down with and have like a crash learning course in the tuner.

Since I have a volant cold air intake, what parameters would I change to fully utilize this? Im guessing air and spark? There is more air flow, but wouldnt the maf reconize that anyway? I dont think it would help much for my mileage and performance.

a volant wouldn't change the tune really much, if at all, maybe a fraction of a percent in the VE or something but otherwise not. until you get a wideband and can do an autoVE and actual AFR monitoring we'll just get a generic "performance" tune setup for you, then you can alter it as you see fit, I'll try to explain the stuff, but let me know if something doesn't make sense. its all pretty simple as long as you can understand the science behind how an engine works.

I still haven't been able to check out your tune yet but we'll get something together. I'm just in and out alot today and tommorow. I'll get to it though, no worries. in the mean time, something that helped me out alot when I was tuning was to cruize around in the tune, and read the table explainations that are provided, as well as just searching around here for interesting topics and how people alter tunes for said topics. like you could search around for 'idle tuning' there's alot of good info on that.

rennoc442
July 30th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Ok so I drove it today and it runs great! the Idle actually was smooth today, so Im guessing taking it for a lil run helped out. Now I just came back and my ses light is on, gota plug it in and see sup.

Aloicious
July 30th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Ok so I drove it today and it runs great! the Idle actually was smooth today, so Im guessing taking it for a lil run helped out. Now I just came back and my ses light is on, gota plug it in and see sup.

after looking at your tune, it looks pretty good, I can't see much really sticking out at me. I'm guessing your code is a p0452 since I don't think the '97s had a fuel tank pressure sensor like my 96. so if you want to turn p0452 and p0453 to not reported that should cure your light, but check and make sure that is the code first.

I checked out your log and it doesnt show much, the engine torque numbers are kinda worthless I know you don't have a wideband yet, but if you go into the PID secton and open the AUTOVE set of pid's you can get a good idea of good PIDs to log, stuff like TP%, RPM, KR, Spark advance, etc...so your log doesnt really show much, but at least the idle is working better.

you tune looks pretty good though, save up for a wideband so you can do RAFIG and AUTOVE and you can get into the real meat of it.

rennoc442
July 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
OK first question, to turn off reporting you go to eng diag, then eng dtc processing enab right? Then why do we have mill enablers if you can turn off the reporting with using the processing enablers?

Torque reduction, on the upshift it starts at 20 then goes up to 40 percent. Im guessing playing with these would be fun and maybe feel like I have more tq! And im sure the same is for downshift also.

Abuse, looks like this is on from 1200 rpms up, is this related to torque reduction? It seems to be disabled at 412kmh and above. I guess this should be changed to like 1?!

Abuse up in the eng part, does this relate to the trans part, or is this totally seperate?

I have a code for rear 02 insufficient, which has been on for a while, I can tune this out for now.

P1665 "Engine Oil Pressure Output Circuit" HC ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)" I have plenty of oil pressure at idle, 20lbs to be exact, any ideas?

C0507 "Steering Position and Rate of Change Sensor Circuit 2 Range/Performance" HC ($C0) "Theft Deterrent Control Module (VTD)

I guess ill never get rid of this code?

On the log part, I just started to play with that, so here is another log with a few more pids in play, take a looky and see what u think.

Ok ill stop for now, sorry if I have toooo many questions!

Aloicious
July 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
OK first question, to turn off reporting you go to eng diag, then eng dtc processing enab right? Then why do we have mill enablers if you can turn off the reporting with using the processing enablers?

Torque reduction, on the upshift it starts at 20 then goes up to 40 percent. Im guessing playing with these would be fun and maybe feel like I have more tq! And im sure the same is for downshift also.

Abuse, looks like this is on from 1200 rpms up, is this related to torque reduction? It seems to be disabled at 412kmh and above. I guess this should be changed to like 1?!

Abuse up in the eng part, does this relate to the trans part, or is this totally seperate?

I have a code for rear 02 insufficient, which has been on for a while, I can tune this out for now.

P1665 "Engine Oil Pressure Output Circuit" HC ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)" I have plenty of oil pressure at idle, 20lbs to be exact, any ideas?

C0507 "Steering Position and Rate of Change Sensor Circuit 2 Range/Performance" HC ($C0) "Theft Deterrent Control Module (VTD)

I guess ill never get rid of this code?

On the log part, I just started to play with that, so here is another log with a few more pids in play, take a looky and see what u think.

Ok ill stop for now, sorry if I have toooo many questions!

hmm...yeah I've never dealt with those codes, the theft deterrent one you can probably just turn off, but I don't know about the oil pressure one if I were you I'd just turn off ALL the torque management and abuse mode.

as far as the MIL stuff, the MIL enabelers just control the light, so if it is set to monitor it, but the MIL setting is off, the PCM will still set the code and store it, but it won't turn the MIL light on, if you turn the reporting off then the PCM won't even throw the code.

rennoc442
July 31st, 2009, 01:21 AM
Does anyone know about this dtc?

P1665 "Engine Oil Pressure Output Circuit" HC ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"

I have plenty of oil pressure at idle, 20lbs to be exact, any ideas? It just freaks me out to see that the pcm thinks the oil is low or?

Aloicious
July 31st, 2009, 06:06 AM
are you sure its P1665? everything I find says that code is for the EVAP system.

rennoc442
July 31st, 2009, 07:48 AM
That's what I pulled from the pcm.

Aloicious
July 31st, 2009, 08:40 AM
this is what I've found for it. this text is written for a 99 malibu, but it should be the same for you:
http://chevrolet.justanswer.com/uploads/MCVGreg/2007-12-16_033625_1999-Malibu-P1665-Debug.pdf

if it is actually the EVAP system, it would make sense, because the 96-97 EVAPs didn't have the same setup as the 98+ ones(including the '02 xvan), and we don't have the vent valve hanging off the charcoal canister that the others do, I'm working on upgrading to a 98+ canister so I can have EVAPs correctly set up, but until then I don't have it activated. I'm thinking that is what the code is actually for. and if so, you can just disable it.

rennoc442
August 2nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
OK so far so good, I have disabled the evaps. Now I need to do work on the trans, it shifts too soft, and the downshift is too sensitive, does that make sense? Like when I am on the highway and want to pass, it usually will downshift into 3, but now it downshifts into 2, and im not even full throttle!

I also was hoping for a lil more power, im curious to see if me turing off all that tq managment stuff actually worked, Im gona do a logged run monday night!

Aloicious
August 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
OK so far so good, I have disabled the evaps. Now I need to do work on the trans, it shifts too soft, and the downshift is too sensitive, does that make sense? Like when I am on the highway and want to pass, it usually will downshift into 3, but now it downshifts into 2, and im not even full throttle!

I also was hoping for a lil more power, im curious to see if me turing off all that tq managment stuff actually worked, Im gona do a logged run monday night!

I ditched my 4l60e, I can't help much there. you can try raising the line pressure slightly, and also lowering the shift times. cruize around the trans area, should be some good advice there.