PDA

View Full Version : Still new to this please shed some light

Dark Halo
July 29th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I have a 02 Chevy truck that I am Drag racing. I am trying to work with this software as much as possible so I can learn it. My only questions are when making adjustments to the fuel where is the best place to start. My truck is running a little rich under full throttle. Also I am thinking of going to an SD tune once I learn how to swap it over but my question is when swapping to a custom OS is it as easy as the tutorial makes it out to be and will me current tune work as is until I go SD? Thanks for your help

joecar
July 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Rich at WOT: edit B3605.

Remember to first go Edit->Properties->Display and set the fueling units to AFR or EQ and not Lambda.

dfe1
July 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I have a 02 Chevy truck that I am Drag racing. I am trying to work with this software as much as possible so I can learn it. My only questions are when making adjustments to the fuel where is the best place to start. My truck is running a little rich under full throttle. Also I am thinking of going to an SD tune once I learn how to swap it over but my question is when swapping to a custom OS is it as easy as the tutorial makes it out to be and will me current tune work as is until I go SD? Thanks for your help
If you have a 2002 Silverado, you should have a 12212156 operating system, which means you have the option of running either COS3 and COS5. The conversion to a custom OS is surprisingly easy-- just follow the tutorial. If you use the same calibration data as in the current OS, the change-over should be seamless. Verify that before you start making changes so you know you have a good starting point. When you switch to SD, you'll probably have to rework the VE table quite a bit.I'd switch to COS5-- you may not need all the options it offers, but you're better off having them available, just in case.

The quickest and easiest way to adjust AFR at wide open is to adjust the values in the PE table. That's not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Dark Halo
July 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
why would my commanded air fuel in the B3605 table not match the commanded in the logs? My logged commanded AFR is very close to the wide band AFR

johnv
July 30th, 2009, 03:25 PM
It will only follow this table until you enter PE (power enrichment) at which point the richer of B3605 and b3618 will be used , niether table will give the actual AFR commanded if the VE table is off amd other fuel multipliers come into play depending on coolent and air intake temps etc.

Dark Halo
July 30th, 2009, 10:54 PM
will that apply to open loop? I thought you do not use PE mode in open loop

dfe1
July 31st, 2009, 04:20 AM
will that apply to open loop? I thought you do not use PE mode in open loop
Stop and think about that statement for a minute. Why would the system NOT go into PE when it's in open loop? The load on the engine is the same, and whether the system is in open or closed loop is irrelevant. It's also irrelevant, because once you push the throttle past the PE trigger point, the system goes into open loop. Closed loop is only used to maintain a stoichiometric AFR.

johnv
July 31st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Yes it will go into PE unless you have disabled the PE enablers under Mixture> parameters.

Dark Halo
July 31st, 2009, 08:45 AM
coo,l sorry to sound like such a DA but I am just getting in the the tunning world.

dfe1
July 31st, 2009, 11:22 AM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being inexperienced-- we all were at one time and my comment wasn't meant to embarrass. However, before you start tuning, I'd suggest you get a better handle on engine operation (it will make things a lot easier). It will definitely help you understand what an engine wants and needs-- and you should really know that before you start tuning air/fuel ratios and timing. As you spend more time investigating the tuning or EFI vehicles, you'll find there are lot of "experts" who know how to operate software, but don't truly understand the operation of an internal combustion engine. You're fortunate to b e on this forum, because there are a lot of guys who really understand things and are willing to help. This may sound like a step backwards, but you might pick up a book about carburetor modification. The S-A Design/Cartech books about modifying Carter/Edelbrock and Holley carburetors have chapters that deal with the reasons for various modifications. Those reasons still apply with EFI engines-- the desired end result is largely the same, you just accomplish it differently.

Dark Halo
July 31st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I do own a few books dealing with efi motors, but I will look into the others you suggested. I know the basics of the mechanical side of it. I have built a few motors but I know I have a long way to go before understanding everything about the fueling and tuning of a motor.

joecar
August 3rd, 2009, 10:15 AM
We have all been noobs at some time (and I still consider myself to be an "advanced noob")...

I'm still on vacation in Palm Springs, I'll be reading all the threads more closely when I get back.