PDA

View Full Version : Bit confused, some help?

hyper24
July 29th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Hi guys,

Been reading up about efilive for the last few hours, there's still some basic things which I have obviously missed. Well from what I have gathered I think it works this way but if someone can conform or set the record straight for me that would be great.

How does it work exactly? Is it just software which lets me interface my laptop to my car through the ALDL connector?
Can i read my LS1 ecu with this, edit it on my computer then flash it back?

What are these hand held units? do they let you mod the tune without using a laptop?

Also for every ecu I want to edit, do i need to buy a license? whats the difference between a VIN and a PCM license.

Also for the actual feed back do i need to use the EFI live scanning software, then based upon the data from that i go and make changes in my tune and flash back up.

Does it have support for wideband O2?

hquick
July 30th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Hi guys,

Been reading up about efilive for the last few hours, there's still some basic things which I have obviously missed. Well from what I have gathered I think it works this way but if someone can conform or set the record straight for me that would be great.

How does it work exactly? Is it just software which lets me interface my laptop to my car through the ALDL connector? Software and an interface cable/box
Can i read my LS1 ecu with this, edit it on my computer then flash it back? Yes

What are these hand held units? do they let you mod the tune without using a laptop? Yes...V2 is a handheld unit

Also for every ecu I want to edit, do i need to buy a license? whats the difference between a VIN and a PCM license. Yes...need a licence for each PCM

Also for the actual feed back do i need to use the EFI live scanning software, then based upon the data from that i go and make changes in my tune and flash back up. Don't HAVE to use the EFILive 'Scan-tool' but it makes things pretty easy having everything in one package

Does it have support for wideband O2? Yes

SSpdDmon
July 30th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Careful with the understanding of the handheld units. The tuning is done on a laptop. However, the laptop doesn't need to be present at the time the tune is loaded in the car. The handheld stores tune files and logs data without being connected to your laptop while in the car.

mr.prick
July 30th, 2009, 02:33 AM
www.efilive.com (http://www.efilive.com/)

joecar
July 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hyper24,

Welcome to the forum...:cheers:

What year/model car do you have...?

98 tigershark
July 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hey Joe,
I think anytime someone joins EFILIve forum or buys it we should have a beer summit.
98 tigershark
PS welcome to the Forum Hyper24:cheers:

Hyper24,

Welcome to the forum...:cheers:

What year/model car do you have...?

hyper24
July 31st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Well at the moment I have a VT commodore (Holden, Im from Australia) and a BMW e46 323i 5speed.

The bmw is being sold (deposit taken) and im currently removing the transmission from my VT to replace the rear main seal. Then that will be sold aswell.

Im currently looking at later model commodores with an LS1 5.7L

Just waiting for a nice 6speed to pop up then ill grab it. This will be the weekend car and ill buy another cheapie for a run around to and from work.

No matter what car I buy for the weekender it will be an LS1, planning on all the usual mods including a cam and head work.

Tigershark just read your sig, your car looks like an animal, how much power is it putting down?

joecar
August 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hey Joe,
I think anytime someone joins EFILIve forum or buys it we should have a beer summit.
98 tigershark
PS welcome to the Forum Hyper24:cheers:Ok, I'll have my cases ready... :hihi:

98 tigershark
August 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Hey hyper24,

You are right LS motors rule. I built the snot out of my 5.7 liter and spent a fortune on the build. I was referred to Scoggins and Dickey in Lubbock TX by GM perf. SDPC had a new 427 build based on the Aussie L92/L76 and they threw in some extras as I have. The motor came from them with 625hp at the crank and 619 trq. Depending on the fuel and temp I have 578 at the wheels w/ 570 trq. Nat Asp.
The motor cost $7,200.00 shipped. I had way more into my LS1 and needed a new tranny so I put the 427 in w/ RPM level5 tranny, 2800 trq convert, 3.42 rear and adjustable shocks. Many more toys but the guys like Joe and Bruce and the hole EFILive gang on the forum really helped. But with EFILive and the forum was the best money I spent. My Harley has more HP (201) per weight plus a custom 35-75 hp shot nos system and PCM. I have a tuning program for that but EFILive is so much better. In street clothes my car is detuned and legal and I think thats really something.
Thanks for the compliment. The EFILive guys are really cool and really helped so do not hesitate to ask as they are all great guys and joe has several cases of beer for a beer summit. Hey by the way have any of the EFILive guys ever gotten together for a show or rally?
That would be great as there are several people all over the globe.
Take care and welcome,
98 tigershark

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Well at the moment I have a VT commodore (Holden, Im from Australia) and a BMW e46 323i 5speed.

The bmw is being sold (deposit taken) and im currently removing the transmission from my VT to replace the rear main seal. Then that will be sold aswell.

Im currently looking at later model commodores with an LS1 5.7L

Just waiting for a nice 6speed to pop up then ill grab it. This will be the weekend car and ill buy another cheapie for a run around to and from work.

No matter what car I buy for the weekender it will be an LS1, planning on all the usual mods including a cam and head work.

Tigershark just read your sig, your car looks like an animal, how much power is it putting down?

ScarabEpic22
August 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Sweet ride tigershark, mind me asking where exactly nw usa is? Im in Seattle, the true NW!