PDA

View Full Version : Timing mark's on Vortec 5.7

Vortec Patrol
July 30th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Howdy all,
Me again!:)
I have noticed a lack of excitement on my ECU supplier's behalf to help me any more than they have.
So to this end i have decided as my back-up plan to replace the dizzy with a electronic style jobbie that they might be able to get right, thus eliminating my CAS as a problem.
I was having a look under the car for the timing marks on the harmonic balancer/timing cover. and cannot find the one on the timing cover.
Is it removeable? or is it cast into the plastic timing cover itself?
I have been told that i have to line up the 2 line's on the pulley/timing cover and then the 2 line's in the dizzy will be lined up as well.......The one's on the timing cover being TDC on number1 and the one's in the dizzy being 'On the rock' on number 8, is this correct?
Can anyone help me?

Thank's in advance,

Steve.

Aloicious
July 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Howdy all,
Me again!:)
I have noticed a lack of excitement on my ECU supplier's behalf to help me any more than they have.
So to this end i have decided as my back-up plan to replace the dizzy with a electronic style jobbie that they might be able to get right, thus eliminating my CAS as a problem.
I was having a look under the car for the timing marks on the harmonic balancer/timing cover. and cannot find the one on the timing cover.
Is it removeable? or is it cast into the plastic timing cover itself?
I have been told that i have to line up the 2 line's on the pulley/timing cover and then the 2 line's in the dizzy will be lined up as well.......The one's on the timing cover being TDC on number1 and the one's in the dizzy being 'On the rock' on number 8, is this correct?
Can anyone help me?

Thank's in advance,

Steve.

there's a notch in the side of the balancer and one cast into the timing cover. the notch on the timing cover is at about 2 o'clock.

you can kinda see them at the very bottom of this pic:
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/guitargeek1968/nointake.jpg

hquick
July 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Is there any reason you can't run the truck with an LS1 PCM?

Aloicious
July 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I should have also mentioned that when those timing marks are ligned up, its EITHER TDC compression for #1 OR #6, have your valve covers off and go back and forth a little watching which valves move to determine which cylinder is at TDC, an extra 180* will bring the other cylinder to TDC.

Vortec Patrol
July 31st, 2009, 12:44 AM
Is there any reason you can't run the truck with an LS1 PCM?

I dunno,.....is there?
I have no idea about this engine hquick!, i would be wrapped if it was as easy as that!
If so i have alot more question's on how to do that!

Steve.

Vortec Patrol
July 31st, 2009, 12:49 AM
I should have also mentioned that when those timing marks are ligned up, its EITHER TDC compression for #1 OR #6, have your valve covers off and go back and forth a little watching which valves move to determine which cylinder is at TDC, an extra 180* will bring the other cylinder to TDC.

Cheers Aloicious,
Love the name!....it is my 'aka' name! 'Aloicious Wheelbarrow'
No drama's! thank's for the pic! make's a heap of sense.
I will pull the rocker cover off when i do it.........if i do it!
No wonder i couldnt find it, it's in a bitch of a spot!

Steve.

Vortec Patrol
July 31st, 2009, 12:59 AM
Man......I am wrapped with this site!
You bloke's on here are great! I have learnt more about my engine in the last week than in the 3 year's ive owned it for.
Everyone on here has been great and very helpful, and this would be in the top 2 of the forum's i have registered too.
Thank's again, your patience with a bloke like me that is a bit knowledge challenged with this engine, your help is fantastic.

Steve.

Aloicious
July 31st, 2009, 06:03 AM
Cheers Aloicious,
Love the name!....it is my 'aka' name! 'Aloicious Wheelbarrow'
No drama's! thank's for the pic! make's a heap of sense.
I will pull the rocker cover off when i do it.........if i do it!
No wonder i couldnt find it, it's in a bitch of a spot!

Steve.

no problem, "Aloicious Jones" is the fake name I used to order pizza with as a kid. heh...

Hquick is correct, you CAN run a LS1 PCM with your engine, both him and I are running a 2002 12200411 PCM on our L31 vortec 5.7's. here's some info on it if its something you're interested in:
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240
its a long thread but full of good info

let us know if you have other questions.

E.R. Racing
September 12th, 2009, 04:06 PM
there's a notch in the side of the balancer and one cast into the timing cover. the notch on the timing cover is at about 2 o'clock.

you can kinda see them at the very bottom of this pic:
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/guitargeek1968/nointake.jpgI noticed in your photo that there are no guide plates for the pushrods. How is that going to work?

joecar
September 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM
That rocker roller tip is designed to self-align on the valve tip, so guide plates are not needed.

Aloicious
September 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
That rocker roller tip is designed to self-align on the valve tip, so guide plates are not needed.

yup.