PDA

View Full Version : E38 will not reflash License error

markemac
July 31st, 2009, 01:47 AM
I need some help with this, I searched the forum for a couple hours, I have not found any answers.:confused:

I have a 2008 chevrolet truck e-38, that when I started to program it asked me to license the pcm to my cable so i did that, then when
i try to program, it gets an error that says "flashscan is not able to
determine license status of this ecm"
If I check the the information for the attached PCM it gives the operating system for the transmission?

mr.prick
July 31st, 2009, 02:00 AM
It sounds like you are licensed to the TCM and not the PCM.
You will use one license for each module (PCM or TCM).

FlashScan V2 VIN License (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_EFILive.tpl&product_id=23&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56)

FlashScan V2's VIN licensing scheme does not rely on the VIN but on other, non-VIN data, unique to each controller. What that means is, a VIN license is required for each pair of engine and transmission controllers that you wish to reprogram, regardless of the VIN that is programmed into the controllers. The engine and transmission "pair" may be reprogrammed while installed in the same or different vehicles, it does not matter.

markemac
July 31st, 2009, 02:42 AM
Thanks, I did read the trans also. but this comes from the license page on efilive.com, as you can see one license does both. but when I try to reflash the engine (e38 is selected automaticaly in the reflash box) I get that error

Price: US$99.00
FlashScan V2 customers may purchase additional VIN licenses to tune extra controllers. Each license purchased will allow tuning of one engine/powertrain and one transmission controller

thanks
mark

mr.prick
July 31st, 2009, 04:20 AM
One license per module,
if the PCM controls the trans that is one module, one license.
If the trans is controlled by a separate module (TCM) then a license for it
will be used.
V2 comes with 2 PCM and 2 TCM licenses.
To view the licenses that are used/available on the V2 power it up
F4> F3> F2

ScarabEpic22
July 31st, 2009, 12:11 PM
mr.prick we should probably clarify here.

In your case markemac, you will use 1 VIN license. Just 1 VIN license covers BOTH the ECM and TCM modules. Your V2 comes from EFILive with 2 VIN licenses. That is good for 2 cars with either a PCM or an ECM/TCM combo. Now why it is not letting you reflash I do not know, have you tried unplugging your TCM and trying to license the ECM without the TCM there to potentially mess things up? Or unplug the ECM (vice-versa depending on which one is already licensed).

Black02SS
July 31st, 2009, 11:35 PM
mr.prick we should probably clarify here.

In your case markemac, you will use 1 VIN license. Just 1 VIN license covers BOTH the ECM and TCM modules. Your V2 comes from EFILive with 2 VIN licenses. That is good for 2 cars with either a PCM or an ECM/TCM combo. Now why it is not letting you reflash I do not know, have you tried unplugging your TCM and trying to license the ECM without the TCM there to potentially mess things up? Or unplug the ECM (vice-versa depending on which one is already licensed).
Scarab is correct. You will need to license with the "cable" both the TCM and ECM. You will only use (1) license when doing this though. If you have already done the TCM ,then all you need to do is the same with the ECM. It won't take (2) license's away from you.

mr.prick
August 1st, 2009, 01:40 AM
Scarab is correct. You will need to license with the "cable" both the TCM and ECM. You will only use (1) license when doing this though. If you have already done the TCM ,then all you need to do is the same with the ECM. It won't take (2) license's away from you.

When you lock to a PCM does it automatically lock the TCM too?
Maybe the cable is just locked to one or the other,
that's what I was trying to say. :doh2:

Black02SS
August 1st, 2009, 04:46 AM
Cable will lock to the vehicle so to speak allowing you to "license" both the ECM and TCM. But you only use (1) License even though you "license" both controllers. HA! You have to physically click the licese button when you flash a ECM/TCM for the first time. 2 Clicks - 1 License

mr.prick
August 1st, 2009, 05:48 AM
Cable will lock to the vehicle so to speak allowing you to "license" both the ECM and TCM. But you only use (1) License even though you "license" both controllers. HA! You have to physically click the licese button when you flash a ECM/TCM for the first time. 2 Clicks - 1 License

Yeah, this is what I meant. :music_whistling_1:

ScarabEpic22
August 1st, 2009, 07:58 PM
When you lock to a PCM does it automatically lock the TCM too?
Maybe the cable is just locked to one or the other,
that's what I was trying to say. :doh2:

No, I have 6 TCM licenses left on my V2 cable right now even though Ive tuned 6 P10 controllers. I assume I can use them at least! I need to buy another license as Ive finally used mine up after 2+ years, have to start tuning my TBSS! Cant wait to firm the shifts up a bit in it.