PDA

View Full Version : acetone improve fuel economy?

smslyguy
August 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM
has anyone ever tried to use acetone in the fuel tanks and has anyone had any sucess?

mr.prick
August 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
No but I knew this tweaker dude back in the day,
that used paint thinner to run a generator. :bad:
I ran for a little while. :hihi:

smslyguy
August 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/ check this site out, supposedly it is supposed to have huge gains in m.p.g

mr.prick
August 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
March 17, 2005
"Not more than three oz. per 10 gallons."

It's kind of an old article, there surely is some follow up somewhere. :nixweiss:

smslyguy
August 11th, 2009, 11:10 AM
must be. My main concern was the effects it would have to your engine? Supposedly its not good with plastic.

vzsv8
August 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM
At this concentration the only probable benefit is the cleaning effect that the acetone would have on the fuel injectors. As far as the possible problems that the acetone could could cause, keep in mind that acetone is sold in plastic at Bunnings.
It would probably work well on an old gummed up set of injectors, just like the ones that the people on the 'hypermilers' forums seem to test the acetone on.

My preference is for the marine 2 stroke additive that is doing the rounds.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers, Steve

poconojoe
August 12th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I've tried it with limited success. I have friends that claim great MPG increases. The best I've seen that I could confirm from it was 10%. I thought it might help me to run mid- grade or regular in my vehicle that requires premium, but it didn't. It also doesn't seem to help with any fuel that has alcohol added to it.

tokymon
August 12th, 2009, 06:23 AM
ya i have tried this in many vechiles works good a inj. cleaner

smslyguy
August 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM
have you ever heard of it damaging your injector seals? or any other seals for that matter?

mr.prick
August 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
ya i have tried this in many vechiles works good a inj. cleaner

Why not just use an injector cleaner?

mistermike
August 12th, 2009, 11:57 AM
This urban legend is making about its 12th trip around the internet. The idea that such tiny quantities of any aromatic would have any measurable effect on anything other than the ego of the purchaser is ridiculous. Somehow these "secret tricks" always escape the legions of PhD petrochemical engineers who do this kind of thing for a living.

joecar
August 12th, 2009, 12:54 PM
this urban legend is making about its 12th trip around the internet. The idea that such tiny quantities of any aromatic would have any measurable effect on anything other than the ego of the purchaser is ridiculous. Somehow these "secret tricks" always escape the legions of phd petrochemical engineers who do this kind of thing for a living.+1.

tokymon
August 13th, 2009, 03:38 AM
tried inj. cleaner all brands acetone seem to work better on old cloged inj.

gmh308
August 17th, 2009, 09:56 AM
has anyone ever tried to use acetone in the fuel tanks and has anyone had any sucess?

Acetone's main benefit is an increase in the knock rating of fuels like regular gas. With carb'd engines it does contribute to improved vaporisation if there are challenges there, though at high cost.

If tuning an engine for more timing can gain mpg, then it may decrease gas usage via the anit knock quality, but the cost of adding the acetone is generally higher than the mpg benefit gained.

With a stoic not that much different from E85, for improved anti knock easier to add E85 if you can get it. It's less than one tenth of the incremental cost.

mistermike
August 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM
tried inj. cleaner all brands acetone seem to work better on old cloged inj.

I use toluene as an injector cleaner. It's available cheaply in gallon jugs at any paint supply store. It's also an OK octane booster if unleaded race gas isn't available. Add some Uplon lubricant if using any meaningful concentration in your fuel.

CalEditor
September 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Organic Compound ______________ Boiling Point, °C.
Acetone _____________________________56.5
Methanol ____________________________ 64.7
Ethyl acetate ________________________ 77.1
Ethyl alcohol (100%) __________________ 78.4
Ethyl alcohol (95%), the azeotrope ______ 78.1
Propyl alcohol ________________________ 97.2
Water ______________________________ 100.0
Butyl alcohol ________________________ 117.5
Amyl alcohol ________________________ 137.8

if you were to make Ethanol to run your car you would need to distill out other compounds that are not favorable. I grew up with 55 gal drums of Acetone around me. The stuff is a great cleaner and other the distorting/attaching plastics and rubber products it cleans metal. Squeaky clean metal will oxidize. Fuel lines will rust from the inside out. The rust gets in the injectors and damages them. I have seen pictures of injector components under a microscope after running ethanol in a system that wasn't designed for it.

wpage
January 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
CalEditer,
Are you saying that acetone causes your fuel system to rust out?

Organic Compound ______________ Boiling Point, °C.
Acetone _____________________________56.5
Methanol ____________________________ 64.7
Ethyl acetate ________________________ 77.1
Ethyl alcohol (100%) __________________ 78.4
Ethyl alcohol (95%), the azeotrope ______ 78.1
Propyl alcohol ________________________ 97.2
Water ______________________________ 100.0
Butyl alcohol ________________________ 117.5
Amyl alcohol ________________________ 137.8

if you were to make Ethanol to run your car you would need to distill out other compounds that are not favorable. I grew up with 55 gal drums of Acetone around me. The stuff is a great cleaner and other the distorting/attaching plastics and rubber products it cleans metal. Squeaky clean metal will oxidize. Fuel lines will rust from the inside out. The rust gets in the injectors and damages them. I have seen pictures of injector components under a microscope after running ethanol in a system that wasn't designed for it.

CalEditor
January 13th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Correct
Some fuels will corrode non stainless steel fuel lines

wpage
January 29th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Correct
Some fuels will corrode non stainless steel fuel lines

So acetone will rust fuel lines from the inside...

Aren't most modern fuel lines made from aluminum plastics or stainless materials?

blindawg
October 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM
are you saying that using E85 in my 2000 S10 that isnt designed for it will hurt it?
ive always wondered. never tried because i didnt want to find out the hard way.

Thanks,
Branden

poconojoe
October 19th, 2010, 02:48 PM
are you saying that using E85 in my 2000 S10 that isnt designed for it will hurt it?
ive always wondered. never tried because i didnt want to find out the hard way.

Thanks,
Branden

How are you going to run it, if it isn't a flex fuel motor, since it will not know to increase the fuel flow? Is your S10 a 2.2 or a 4.3? If its a 2.2, I thought all 2000 and newer ones were flex fuel

blindawg
October 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
and i wasnt sure what was all done when E85 was used. thats why i never tried it and asked. lol
so trying it would not be a good idea?

poconojoe
October 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM
and i wasnt sure what was all done when E85 was used. thats why i never tried it and asked. lol
so trying it would not be a good idea?

I don't think the injectors in the 4.3's can flow enough fuel to safely run E85

blindawg
October 20th, 2010, 08:14 AM
ok. ill take your word for it.
im going to be putting a 5.3 in it sometime in the future, will E85 work with that?

joecar
October 20th, 2010, 08:25 AM
You have to edit the stoich AFR and maybe the OLFA/PE tables... you will find that the injectors then need to flow more, so they may have to be upgraded.

poconojoe
October 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM
ok. ill take your word for it.
im going to be putting a 5.3 in it sometime in the future, will E85 work with that?

What year 5.3 are you planning on putting in it? The Gen3 5.3's can be made to run on E85 with the right tune, I'm pretty sure some of the later one came already set yp for it

blindawg
October 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
thanks Joecar.

We dont know on the year, it'll be from the salvage yard. any certain ones to look for?

Thanks,
Branden