PDA

View Full Version : ECM relearn procedure and VIN

killerbee
August 12th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Using an ECM from another vehicle, should I expect to be able to perform the relearn, even if the VIN has not been changed on the ECM?

GMPX
August 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Yes because the VIN has nothing to do with the security.

killerbee
August 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM
so I thought. Just having trouble with a field re-vat. He probably just having difficulty following directions.

killerbee
September 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I sent a new ECM, new tuning, and the truck just won't accept it. He says the truck will turn over, but won't start.

Any idea out there?

killerbee
September 20th, 2009, 06:54 AM
What does it mean if a new ECM will turn the truck over, but not start?

GMC-2002-Dmax
September 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM
What does it mean if a new ECM will turn the truck over, but not start?

It means the ecm is probably OK but the VATS is not.

He will have to do a hard re-learn.

killerbee
September 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Fixed it. Some people just will not turn the ignition off, but rather to accessory...I tried to make this point, but for some it doesn't hit home.

ScarabEpic22
December 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I bought an ecm/tcm for a member with a vector tune for 07 tbss, do I need to send this to vector to have my vin matched to it or just do the security relearn and case learn?

You can just do the security and CASE relearns, it should work fine. But if your emissions test center looks at the VIN in the ECM and compares it to your actual VIN you will fail the emissions test. I know Vector locked their tunes for a while, I thought I read something about they do not do that anymore. If yours is an unlocked one, you can have someone with EFILive simply change the VIN. No license burned either.

chevy052500hd
December 12th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Fixed it. Some people just will not turn the ignition off, but rather to accessory...I tried to make this point, but for some it doesn't hit home.

I also leave the door open too, so that the delay off shuts off as soon as the key is turned to the off position, not sure if that is tied to the pcm circuits, but I took no chances when doing things like that LOL...

ScarabEpic22
December 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I also leave the door open too, so that the delay off shuts off as soon as the key is turned to the off position, not sure if that is tied to the pcm circuits, but I took no chances when doing things like that LOL...

Interesting, if I do this with any P10 TrailBlazer it always messes up the flash. I have to shut the doors, kill the AHLs, radio/HVAC off then it works fine every time (unless there's an aftermarket HU messing up the data comms).

chevy052500hd
December 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Interesting, if I do this with any P10 TrailBlazer it always messes up the flash. I have to shut the doors, kill the AHLs, radio/HVAC off then it works fine every time (unless there's an aftermarket HU messing up the data comms).

I was speaking of vats relink, sorry should have specified, as far as flashing goes I usually keep doors closed and flash away, unless an aftermarket radio is installed then pull the radio fuse. I will keep that inmind if I am flashing a trailblazer

ScarabEpic22
December 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I was speaking of vats relink, sorry should have specified, as far as flashing goes I usually keep doors closed and flash away, unless an aftermarket radio is installed then pull the radio fuse. I will keep that inmind if I am flashing a trailblazer

Ah my mistake, never had to do a VATS relearn so I have no idea. Good to know though, if I have problems Ill remember this.

Even removing the stereo fuse doesnt always make the flash work on certain aftermarket HUs, no idea why but its a start for sure.