PDA

View Full Version : "Exhaust Brake"?

Nemo
August 12th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Is there a way to set the turbo vains to 100% to create a "turbo brake" to slow the truck down with a load when off the throttle completely? Kind of like a exhaust brake in a way.

Ive got a few crazy ideas so if that doesnt make sence please let me know. :)

killerbee
August 15th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Yes. It has been incorporated into my custom tuning for a couple of years.

Just load the vane position and boost you want to create during off-throttle operation. Be careful about using 100% at the higher rpms.

In my application, you have no idea it is there until those grade braking conditions are met, high rpm, no fueling. transparent.

Nemo
August 19th, 2009, 01:01 AM
At Higher RPM's whats the highest % you would suggest? just so I dont go dangerously high.

killerbee
August 19th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Take it with a grain of salt. I use 95% at 4000 rpm. It is mostly a gut feeling, that 100% vane is troublesome. I do use 100%, but no higher that 3200 rpm, and never for power production

Nemo
August 19th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Okay, I will play around with it and see what I get. Thank you again Michael.

-Justin

KB3MMX
February 28th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Yes. It has been incorporated into my custom tuning for a couple of years.

Just load the vane position and boost you want to create during off-throttle operation. Be careful about using 100% at the higher rpms.

In my application, you have no idea it is there until those grade braking conditions are met, high rpm, no fueling. transparent.

What a COOL idea !!!
So, I could command high vane position and boost at 0% load and RPM's over say 1600, yet retain a open vane position the get a LB7 style idle sound?

killerbee
February 28th, 2011, 05:35 PM
yes. But you won't get any significant braking with it under 2500 rpm.