PDA

View Full Version : Error Codes?

hyper24
August 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I have the ALDL plug, Which software do I need to read out the error codes for a Holden VX SS (ls1 engine)?

Thanks.

limited cv8r
August 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Which ALDL (OBD ll) plug do you have? Did you purchase EFILive/Flashscan. The EFILive software will only work with the V1/V2 interface.

hyper24
August 14th, 2009, 02:00 PM
The plug is a plug I made myself, it was made to suit a VT v6 commodore.
So now that I think of it, it may not work on the VX ls1.

There is a car coming up at the auctions which I am looking to buy, it has an error code coming up that I wanted to check before I buy it. But I inspected the car and it runs fine and is great condition so I will buy it regardless. It should go far below normal price since its been through 3 times now and no one has brought it. I believe it may have a blow head gasket so it should go cheap and I can fix it myself.

I will just purchase EFIlive then as I want to tune the car myself and will this have the ability to read and clear the codes?

mr.prick
August 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Supported Vehicles (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=82)

hyper24
August 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Yes I know that EFIlive will support this car for tuning.

But apparently even though the VX LS1 commodore uses VPW OBDII the fault retrieval is apparently in another protocol or something. (Generic OBDII error code readers do not work on this car)
Hence why my question asked about if EFIlive can read these errors.

limited cv8r
August 14th, 2009, 04:25 PM
The holden 5L from VN-VT all used OBD1(ALDL) all V6 also used OBD1 up until the alloytech. Efilive V4 software supports these for scanning and code reading. The VT onwards LSx based vehicles went to OBD11, you can use the V2 interface on any of these vehicles but it was really introduced to interface with the CAN based cars. Depending on your needs and future plans the V1 interface will be sufficent for a VX commodore.You may want the V2 just in case in the future you want to tune or scan a CAN based car.:cheers:

Biggsy
August 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM
V1 and V2 have the ability to read and clear codes on a VX ls1.
If you don't want to tune the car, you can purchase the "Scan only" version of Efilive which will do what you asked (can be upgraded at a later stage to "tune" aswell for an extra cost)

Biggsy
August 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Double post :doh:

hyper24
August 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Biggsy, thats mate. Thats the response I needed to hear.

hyper24
August 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM
EFIlive v4 wont clear airbag SRS fault will it? what do i need to do this?

Biggsy
August 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
It wont clear non ecm/pcm codes, so no it wont.
A scantool that can clear those codes is needed.

hyper24
August 19th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Do you know of any specific tools that will? Or any software that will, considering its only the old ecotec V6 the standard ALD plug should be able to be used correct?