PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love FI and Emissions

LS1_Dragster
August 16th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I took my 71 firebird with a cammed 454 with fuel injection to the I/M station and passed with flying colors. HC 125ppm, CO 1.87%, NO 459ppm

There was a 65 mopar there that says he fails every year miserably but a friend gets it passed, I wanted to tell him to go fuel injection and never look back....... He asked me 5 times if I was afraid of not passing and I kept telling him I had no concerns, he didn't believe me until I passed!

Lee

mr.prick
August 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I though cars that old didn't need emissions testing.
In AZ they just scan for codes and readiness tests, in certain counties.

Does the dragster pass? :hihi:

LS1_Dragster
August 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
1967 is the cutoff year for Utah.

I would wager the farm the dragster would pass! Even without cats!

ringram
August 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Pre 73 in the UK just look for visible smoke, thats the emissions test :)
Later stuff is similar to the above with NO, CO, HC and a Lambda test.

gmh308
August 17th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I took my 71 firebird with a cammed 454 with fuel injection to the I/M station and passed with flying colors. HC 125ppm, CO 1.87%, NO 459ppm

There was a 65 mopar there that says he fails every year miserably but a friend gets it passed, I wanted to tell him to go fuel injection and never look back....... He asked me 5 times if I was afraid of not passing and I kept telling him I had no concerns, he didn't believe me until I passed!

Lee

Utah requires 65 Mopars to pass emissions tests?

LS1_Dragster
August 17th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Utah requires 65 Mopars to pass emissions tests?

Sorry, I meant 67 Mopar!!

Chevy366
August 17th, 2009, 06:51 AM
In Texas , a 69 Mopar just needs Safety Inspection , no sniffer , I think about ten years ago it was 83 cut off for sniffing , unless it has changed because of the new Emission Law .

LS1_Dragster
August 17th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Our's has been 1967 for at least 7 years that I know of. We got our first 67 camaro in 2002 and had to pass the sniffer then.

I always thought that over time it would go from 67 to 75 or something. At least their not lowering the years!

Chevy366
August 17th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Our's has been 1967 for at least 7 years that I know of. We got our first 67 camaro in 2002 and had to pass the sniffer then.

I always thought that over time it would go from 67 to 75 or something. At least their not lowering the years!

That is just crazy there , California Syndrome across the USA .
In Texas that is what it use to do follow a 20 year from current , in other words if it is 09 the 89 does not need sniffer , did a quick look and it is 86 cut off now .

hquick
August 17th, 2009, 08:12 AM
No inspections at all here in Victoria, Australia.

joecar
August 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Yes, it all sux alot.

Aloicious
August 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM
emissions inspections are a joke. back when I lived in CA, I had a friend fail his smog check because his car ran TOO CLEAN, it was below what the factory said was expected and so they failed him.

and when I moved out here, by where LS1_dragster lives, I failed a couple months ago because my corner blinker bulbs glass is starting to fade (the bulbs are almost 12 years old), so despite that fact that they all work, and they still burn amber in color, they felt the glass on the bulb itself was too light and they failed me for it. what a crock.

the whole emissions testing garbage has nothing to do with the environment, its only about money.

Chevy366
August 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM
the whole emissions testing garbage has nothing to do with the environment, its only about money.

Yep , good old greed . Don't cows pollute more than Cars ? :confused:
They say after a car warms up it emits 0 (zero) or near zero emissions , how much better can you get than zero ? My car sucks in Carbon Dioxide and emits Oxygen . :secret:

gmh308
August 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
No inspections at all here in Victoria, Australia.

Not yet. :)

gmh308
August 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
They say after a car warms up it emits 0 (zero) or near zero emissions , how much better can you get than zero ? My car sucks in Carbon Dioxide and emits Oxygen . :secret:

Go look at a film made in LA in the early 70's. Look now. Much cleaner. The EPA may a tad zealous, but the air is cleaner.

Emissions on a very late model car after warm up are relatively low (by comparison to ancient times :) like the 60's and 70's) Though a truck getting 12-15mpg equates to about 1lb per mile of CO2. Breath that! :shock:

Glad your car sucks it in and spews Oxygen. :)

joecar
August 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I have seen similar pictures/films showing LA smog, I have spoken to many people who can attest that LA smog was pretty bad, and that LA air is clean now...

However, right now the CA economy is lying on the ground dying, and the EPA/CARB comes along and kicks it in the ribs repeatedly ("lets's break your ribs, you got spare ones")... read the following:

http://www.calepa.ca.gov/Enforcement/News/
http://www.calepa.ca.gov/Enforcement/News/Archive/
http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr042108.htm

They basically hit just about everyone... RiteAid, K-mart, Home Depot, Sears, Sunset Ford, Yamaha Motor Corporation, Kragen/Advance, PepBoys, big trucking fleets, small mom/pop trucking fleets, performance parts companies, and so on... and they are very proud of their achievements (other people's misfortune)...

Check this out to get an idea of the scope:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/23kv8-smog-technician-calif-smogged
(I don't know if that's real, but I do know of undercover tampered vehicles).

Very zealous... in fact I understand they will go thru your trash to see what you're throwing away... "Big Brother is Watching You".

http://www.national.com/rap/Story/0,1562,26,00.html

joecar
August 17th, 2009, 12:38 PM
There is absolutely no incentive for an automotive technician to become a smog technician or a smog station operator... one or two mistakes and he gets severely reprimanded...

Look at the Disciplinary/Citation sections of these CA BAR newsletters:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/70_SiteWideInfo/Library/ARSCNewsletters2009.html

gmh308
August 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I have seen similar pictures/films showing LA smog, I have spoken to many people who can attest that LA smog was pretty bad, and that LA air is clean now...

However, right now the CA economy is lying on the ground dying, and the EPA/CARB comes along and kicks it in the ribs repeatedly ("lets's break your ribs, you got spare ones")... read the following:

http://www.calepa.ca.gov/Enforcement/News/
http://www.calepa.ca.gov/Enforcement/News/Archive/
http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr042108.htm

They basically hit just about everyone... RiteAid, K-mart, Home Depot, Sears, Sunset Ford, Yamaha Motor Corporation, Kragen/Advance, PepBoys, big trucking fleets, small mom/pop trucking fleets, performance parts companies, and so on... and they are very proud of their achievements (other people's misfortune)...

Check this out to get an idea of the scope:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/23kv8-smog-technician-calif-smogged
(I don't know if that's real, but I do know of undercover tampered vehicles).

Very zealous... in fact I understand they will go thru your trash to see what you're throwing away... "Big Brother is Watching You".

http://www.national.com/rap/Story/0,1562,26,00.html

Very passionate reply there Joe. Impressive!

No wonder the state is broke. Too many CARB etc inspectors rummaging through the trash! :) ROFL.

Well for an example of zealousness from the EPA, while one would guess their basic intent is honorable, but then check out the EPA guy on Ghostbusters for insight into what occurs when psychopaths get out there enforcing the rules. :shock:

Maybe the OEM's are pushing this too!

Chevy366
August 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Valley fog forms in mountain valleys, often during winter. It is the result of a temperature inversion caused by heavier cold air settling into a valley, with warmer air passing over the mountains above. It is essentially radiation fog confined by local topography, and can last for several days in calm conditions. In California's Central Valley, valley fog is often referred to as Tule fog.

gmh308 , if you live where the tide comes into your house , you expect to get wet feet !

Aloicious
August 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM
There is absolutely no incentive for an automotive technician to become a smog technician or a smog station operator... one or two mistakes and he gets severely reprimanded...

Look at the Disciplinary/Citation sections of these CA BAR newsletters:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/70_SiteWideInfo/Library/ARSCNewsletters2009.html

oh yeah, I understand its typically not the station or operators fault, I was referring to the BS laws and requirements handed down from the desk sitting bean counters. typically the operators are decent people who are just doing their jobs.

though in my case with the light bulb, I DO blame the operator. I've had the same bulbs in for 12 years, its passed inspection in both CA and 2 separate counties in UT over the past 5 years without an issue. and they failed me simply based on opinion. they said the bulbs were clear when they obviously burned amber, and you can tell the coloring is simply fading. I asked them to show me what spectrum they were fluorescing as a basis for why I was being failed, and all they could say was "well we looked at it and they look kinda clear.". which is a load of BS, you could ask 100 different people what color something is and get 100 different answers. failing someone based off opinion is unacceptable IMO. now if they had said that the bulbs need to fluoresce at 600nm +- x. and mine are only emitting y which is out of the acceptable range. I would have accepted that and not had a problem. but my diagnosis in this event is an incompetent technician who needs to go see the proctologist to get that stick removed.

joecar
August 18th, 2009, 04:30 AM
In the bulb case that particular technician may have been phishing for a "bulb passing fee".

joecar
August 18th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Very passionate reply there Joe. Impressive!

No wonder the state is broke. Too many CARB etc inspectors rummaging through the trash! :) ROFL.

Well for an example of zealousness from the EPA, while one would guess their basic intent is honorable, but then check out the EPA guy on Ghostbusters for insight into what occurs when psychopaths get out there enforcing the rules. :shock:

Maybe the OEM's are pushing this too!I don't like "Big Brother" suddenly having more power and more means than a court of law...:bad:

Aloicious
August 18th, 2009, 07:18 AM
In the bulb case that particular technician may have been phishing for a "bulb passing fee".

yeah, he didn't get it...:sly:

98 tigershark
August 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Where I live they do not test but the state does have emission laws and the bigger cities do test. I think some counties never got the FED or state funds to require this across my state. I still make my car EPA legal when on the street and I have a tune for racing too. That a really cool thing about EFIlive I think.
98 tigershark

Aloicious
August 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Where I live they do not test but the state does have emission laws and the bigger cities do test. I think some counties never got the FED or state funds to require this across my state. I still make my car EPA legal when on the street and I have a tune for racing too. That a really cool thing about EFIlive I think.
98 tigershark

thats like here, since the majority of the state is farmland or low populations mountain/desert areas, there's only a few counties that actually require testing. unfortunately I live in those few counties. heh. and its really not an issue of wanting to do illegal/polluting stuff, its just all the red tape, greed, and BS that you have to put up with just to be allowed to drive your vehicle. I do think emissions testing is good in some respect as far as getting severely problematic and dangerous vehicles off the road.

98 tigershark
August 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thats funny you mentioned that. My son did a college paper on that. He used a hummer and a cow. Because of the mass involved with methane and the massive amounts cows relieve the hummer was better for the environment. Next thing you know cows will have to pass emissions. Look out farmers. How do you fix a light bulb on a cow?
98 tigershark

Aloicious
August 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Thats funny you mentioned that. My son did a college paper on that. He used a hummer and a cow. Because of the mass involved with methane and the massive amounts cows relieve the hummer was better for the environment. Next thing you know cows will have to pass emissions. Look out farmers. How do you fix a light bulb on a cow?
98 tigershark

hah, thats funny. though methane (CH4) is quite a bit different than the Carbon monoxide/dioxide (CO, CO2), and nitrates of oxygen (NOx) that combustion impurities will cause.

98 tigershark
August 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Are we talking about combustion or Digestion?
LOL
98 tigershark

Chevy366
August 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Well the end results are the same , they both stink , get it , end results . LOL
I know , don't quit the day job .

Aloicious
August 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Well the end results are the same , they both stink , get it , end results . LOL

yuk yuk yuk :mrgreen:

98 tigershark
August 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hey Chevy366,

Is that your vette in your pic. That is beeeuatifull. Have you seen the Corvette owners 10 commandments? They are on the Corvette action center I think. It does not say any thing about coveting. SO I covet that Vette and am happy for you but insanely jealous.
That is very nice.
98 tigershark
PS Ill keep my day job too!

Ira
August 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM

When I was in school in the San Fernando valley we always had a few smog days a year where they decided the air was so bad we couldn't go out to play, as far as I can tell, there has not been one of those days in years if not decades. I did go to school in the 60's and I remember the brown sky which seems to be gone now. Heck, I remembers the incinerator in the alley for burning flammable trash though their use had been banned by then, 1960 or so.

Ira