PDA

View Full Version : flashscan V2 not recognized

charlie b
August 23rd, 2009, 06:02 AM
I just received this product yesterday and have been trying to add the drivers.I've printed out all the directions for it's use. Probably 300 pages . I've tried it on 3 different computers, running XP, XP professional and Vista. All 3 computers say the device not recognized, try plugging it in again.. If this fails , there is a problem with the device. When you first plug the device in , it should come up as Flashscan V2, it comes up as unknown device. So unless someone is a computer wizard and can solve this problem by tomorrow, the Flashcan V2 is going to be returned. I can't see spending this kind of money without any results. Is it possible that going through the United States post office and UPS , that there magnetic and electronic scanning devices is affecting the memory in these devices and when we receive them they are blank ???? Charlie

joecar
August 23rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
charlie b,

I notified Tech Support.

In the meantime, see if this helps:
http://www.fishtuning.com/downloads/I_just_installed_EFILive_and_I_cant.pdf

For step 1, the driver is available from here: http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133
see under heading "Drivers" -> "EFILive 2.02.04".

mr.prick
August 23rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
It will be unrecognized until you install the drivers.
The suggested method is to install them manually.

charlie b
August 23rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
When I plug the flashscan V2 into the USB port , it reads one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. It says try plugging the device in again , if windows does not recognize the device , REPLACE IT.
The Flashscan should work right out of the box, load software and drivers. I've done this many times and never had a problem like this . My wife is a computer technician and we have down loaded drivers on 3 different computers with NO positive results. Why should we spend 6 to 8 hours of our time to try to repair a product that should have worked right out of the box. Charlie

Tordne
August 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Only devices that have drivers published to Windows Update or are entirely generic will not require any user intervention.

The required driver files will reside in your 'C:\Program Files\EFILive\Drivers\EFILive\Win-2K-XP-Vista' when the software is installed. Choose the Update Drivers option on the Unknown Device and choose the advanced installation options. Navigate to the noted folder when prompted.

While it is unlikely that the device would be affected by shipping (we ship a lot of these units) you can review this page on our website: http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&Itemid=122

Cheers,

charlie b
August 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
We have even gone as far as to try to reset the USB settings on the device from the efi live website. The device will not except the new USB reprogramming from MProg utility.
Which is Flashscan V2: USB\VID_0403&PID_E4A1\FSV2. I need better answers helpful people. Charlie

Blacky
August 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hi Charlie,

It should work out of the box and the drivers should install automatically.
I'm happy to try and help you trouble shoot the problem to figure out if there is a fault with the V2 device. If there is, EFILive will replace it. If there is not, it may just be a simple setting or switch that needs to be changed to make it work.

If the problem is not with the FlashScan device then replacing it will not help. And you'll just have the same problem with the replacement device.

It may be there really is a fault with the FlashScan device, but in that case, it will only take about 30 minutes to figure that out.

Let me know if you want to do that and I'll post detailed instructions.

Regards
Paul

charlie b
August 23rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Yes , please do, I really need some help here. Charlie

Ira
August 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
I think I sent you an email with my phone number, feel free to call.

Ira

Blacky
August 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
The details I'm posting are for XP not Vista, (we can do vista once we find out if it works on XP or not). You sound like you know your way around XP so I'll keep the instructions pretty high level.

My next post should be in about 15 minutes...

Regards
Paul

charlie b
August 23rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
XP is fine , I only tried it on Vista [ my wifes new computer ] because it did not work on my XP computer or my XP work computer. Thank you Charlie

Blacky
August 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM
There are two types of FTDI (www.ftdichip.com (http://www.ftdichip.com)) drivers that Windows can install to drive the USB hardware in FlashScan. The VCP (Virtual Com Port) drivers, or the D2XX drivers. FlashSCan requires the D2XX drivers

If the VCP drivers got installed, or if the FlashScan device has been flagged as supporting VCP, then FlashScan will not be recognized by Windows and programs such as MProg will not detect FlashScan.

First thing to do is to remove any driver files that may have been partially or incorrectly installed. To do that run the FTClean.exe program from \Program Files\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\FTClean\FTClean.ex e (You need to be logging in with administrator privileges).
Make sure FlashScan is unplugged.
Enter the VID as FTDI
Enter the PID as E4A1 (or leave it blank to remove ALL FTDI drivers).

If you elect to remove ALL FTDI drivers then FTClean will remove the USB drivers for all FTDI device including any devices non-EFILive device that are installed on your PC that use FTDI USB hardware (www.ftdichip.com (http://www.ftdichip.com)).

After running FTClean.exe reconnect FlashScan and Windows should display "Found New Hardware - EFILive FlashScan V2" in a bubble near the task bar. If it does not then the USB chip on FlashScan is probably faulty.

At this stage, FlashScan's LCD screen should be illuminated but blank.

The driver install wizard should start and ask if you want to connect to the internet. Select "No, not this time". Click Next.
Select "Install from a list or specific location." Click Next.
Select "Search for the best driver in these locations."
Uncheck "Search removable media"
Check "Include this location in the search"
Clcik "Browse" and browse to \Program Files\EFILive\Drivers\EFILive\Win-2K-XP-Vista. Click Next.

At this stage, FlashScan's LCD screen should be illuminated and displaying the main menu.

If FlashScan still does not work after that, then there is probably a fault. In which case I recommend taking up Ira's offer of phone support.

P.S. Sorry that your first experience with FlashScan has not turned out so well.

Regards
Paul

charlie b
August 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Paul

Thank you for your help . After following your directions, we connected the flashscan and windows read, unrecognizable device. I will try to call Ira, thanks again, Charlie