PDA

View Full Version : Tuning MAF vs VVE

minytrker
August 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I have read about and know of alot shops, many of which use the other software tuning the maf vs vve. They are diabling the vve and running off the maf and tuning it only. What is everyones take on that?

GAMEOVER
August 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I worked on my VVE, tuned it, then disabled the VVE, then focused on MAF, but I liked how responsive and crisp my truck felt in OL-MAF (w/ VVE disabled) that I've been running with the VVE disabled for the past two weeks...:D OL-MAF VVE Disabled

minytrker
August 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I keep hearing the same thing. Whats the best way to disable the VVE? Will my AFM still work? I am going to try it on my G8GT this week and see how it does.

eficalibrator
August 25th, 2009, 01:02 AM
You can disable all DynAir calculations (including VVE) by setting the min RPM threshold for MAF operation to something below idle. The stock value is typically ~4000rpm, and I move it to ~400rpm when tuning the MAF exclusively. If you want to leave it as a MAF-only tune, just don't return the threshold to stock when you're done tuning the MAF transfer function.

There's no reason the car shouldn't run OK like this. Plenty of Fords and other vehicles are (almost) exclusively MAF-based systems. You're just losing the potential dynamic accuracy of a properly tuned DynAir calculation during transients that can improve emissions and driveability.

Of course, bad data is worse than no data; so running only on a properly tuned MAF curve usually drives better than a proper MAF curve plus a bad VVE estimate. Ideally, you would just tune both the MAF and VVE to make everything right.

minytrker
August 25th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I looked quickly but did not see any tables like you were talking about. What tables do I need to adjust to run CL MAF only vs VVE CL?

GAMEOVER
August 25th, 2009, 07:05 AM
minytrker,
What is it you want to do? To disable VVE go to {B8024} set it to 400 RPM & set table {B8025} to 10 RPM, that should disable VVE...:D

minytrker
August 25th, 2009, 10:57 AM
minytrker,
What is it you want to do? To disable VVE go to {B8024} set it to 400 RPM & set table {B8025} to 10 RPM, that should disable VVE...:D

Thanks,

Thats what I changed but I havent went and tried yet. I just wanted to make sure I had it correct.

Highlander
August 26th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I have been doing this for a long time now... it's a bit of an issue with bigger cams but it runs quite well actually.

GMPX
August 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM
The Aussies are reading this saying "What the?". MAF's are one of the first things to be put in the bin out here. I don't know if it's mindset from the LS1 days or the end results are better, I'm not really in any position to judge that because I don't own a dyno or drive a GenIV.
I understand the problem in the US running MAF-less is you always drive around with a DTC set, out here there is no regular checks for such things by the authorities.

I think AFM is disabled when you go MAF-less, though I am not 100% sure on that, if so then applying patch B9901 & B9902 should fix that (they need to be renamed, they are more than TCS patches).

Cheers,
Ross

Highlander
August 27th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Nice Ross... I wonder if you will ever release a patch to upgrade the MAF limits.

Thanks

GAMEOVER
August 27th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I think the E38 VVE is harder and more time consuming to perfect than the LS1's VE. During the fall, winter, spring, i'm going back to OLSD. I'm running OL-MAF because during the summer, in my area, one day it'll be 70F degrees @ night, 118F degrees during the day with 2% humidity and the follwing day will have same temp but humidity will climb to 55%-70%... OLSD tune starts acting funny...:D

minytrker
August 27th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I think the E38 VVE is harder and more time consuming to perfect than the LS1's VE. During the fall, winter, spring, i'm going back to OLSD. I'm running OL-MAF because during the summer, in my area, one day it'll be 70F degrees @ night, 118F degrees during the day with 2% humidity and the follwing day will have same temp but humidity will climb to 55%-70%... OLSD tune starts acting funny...:D

Are you still using your O2's? I thought you just werent using VVE.

GAMEOVER
August 27th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Are you still using your O2's? I thought you just werent using VVE.

NO, OL-MAF, no O2's...
They're in my Matco Tool Box...:D

ringram
August 27th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Heathens :)
CLSD FTW!

At least we all permanently disable LTFT's whatever fueling method you use? Or do we/you?
Like to hear and pro/cons on that one.

GMPX
August 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Nice Ross... I wonder if you will ever release a patch to upgrade the MAF limits.

ThanksDoubtful