PDA

View Full Version : GM LS Crate Engine Tuning

TurboCamaro
August 31st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Has anyone had luck tuning the GM Performance LS Crate Engines with the GM Harness and PCM Kits.

If so what are your experiences?:help2:

joecar
August 31st, 2009, 05:42 PM
Are you talking about the crate motors and PCM/controllers available from GMPP...?

V8RX7
August 31st, 2009, 08:40 PM
I have used the GMPP Controller Kit for LS3 376/480. THat motor runs a GM Hot cam. We put that Cam in an LS2 with L92 heads etc and it runs great. Had to reset cylinder volume to 6 litres and we adjusted the MAF frequency down by around 20% and disabled long and short term fuel trims. This is in a race car so mainly WOT stuff all above 3000rpm but it runs actual AFR's on the LC1 wideband of 13 to 1 all day long. Was all plug and play and a very easy cost effective solution

TurboCamaro
September 1st, 2009, 02:49 AM
joecar: Yes, "the crate motors and PCM/controllers available from GMPP.."

V8RX7: Were there any challenges with tuning (am assuming you tuned with EFI Live) or was it like tuning a typical F or Y Body?

joecar
September 1st, 2009, 03:41 AM
Some links that may help (or will give you further leads):
showthread.php?t=9759&highlight=GMPP (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9759&highlight=GMPP)
showthread.php?t=5809&highlight=GMPP (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=5809&highlight=GMPP)
showthread.php?t=11150&highlight=GMPP (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=11150&highlight=GMPP)
howthread.php?t=10832&highlight=GMPP (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10832&highlight=GMPP)

TurboCamaro
September 1st, 2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks Joe Car

V8RX7
September 1st, 2009, 07:55 AM
RE Tuning. I had never used EFI Live before but technically as I understand nothing is any different than other setups. It does seem the odd table may not be there. From memory we struggled to find how to set the temp at which the fans come in for example.

We really didn't have to do any tuning since the contoller already had a tune for that GM hot cam except to off LTFT and STFT and force into open loop. By the way it ended up making 460rwhp on a Dynapack hub dyno

gmh308
September 1st, 2009, 02:05 PM
Has anyone had luck tuning the GM Performance LS Crate Engines with the GM Harness and PCM Kits.

If so what are your experiences?:help2:

Have been across a few of these now and the outcomes vary from working perfectly, to running poorly without being tuned, to not working at all.

The not working at all have turned out to mainly be bad quality assembly of the harness.

98 tigershark
September 3rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
That is a great question. In my opinion and mine only, I would use a 99-04 pcm and use the corvette harness with the correct sensors. You might have to have the sensor holes tapped out to fit them as I did. That is really pretty easy and you can pick those (99-04 GM PCMs and corvette (99-02) Camero harnesses) up at a junk yard for a very decent price.
That also gives allot of options for a dash setup and a better good tune and solves the fan issues you mentioned. I would even go as far to say I would use a RR PCM with the 99-04 corvette harness. I dont think you can beat that setup for racing as you can make adjustments in a few minutes for the conditions at race day. Go to www.moates.net . The RR and EFILive has an advantage over all the other tuning setups.
98 tigershark

TurboCamaro
September 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Looks like LS3 is a walk in the park has anyone done an LS7 or LS9.

We are doing a Dynacorn Camaro with Detroit Speed Suspension and an LS9 so want to buy the right engine management.

gmh308
September 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Looks like LS3 is a walk in the park has anyone done an LS7 or LS9.

We are doing a Dynacorn Camaro with Detroit Speed Suspension and an LS9 so want to buy the right engine management.

Cool! Thats a very nice plant!

LS7's on E38's yes. You would probably be better with the ZR1 based control system for the LS9 if you want to run all the factory sensors like intake
charge temp etc. Chuck @ Corvette's of Westchester would be across these.

Manual trans?

98 tigershark
September 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
What year?
98 tigershark

gmh308
September 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM
What year?
98 tigershark

If you mean the Camaro, if its a Dynacorn body, most likely a 69. I think thats the only repro Camaro body they do, but maybe not.

98 tigershark
September 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM
The tranny was also my next question. If an automatic or a stick. There are several different ones for automatics depending on the model tranny. Right gmh308
Thanks,
98 tigershark

If you mean the Camaro, if its a Dynacorn body, most likely a 69. I think thats the only repro Camaro body they do, but maybe not.

TurboCamaro
September 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Yes, you are correct it is a '69 Camaro Convertible.

Will be a 5 speed (or possibly 6 speed) stick.

GMPP does not list a controller for the LS9 crate motor what controller is in a ZR1?

Am I understanding correctly the LS7 crate motor is an E38 so should be able to tune just like a standard Gen IV vehicle like a 2006 and newer vette? Are the controller different between a stick and an automatic or only the calibration.

We are getting a lot of call for LS conversions so am trying to get an understanding of all of the configurations and variables. As well some of the high end car owners want new stuff thus eliminating the doner route.

gmh308
September 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Yes, you are correct it is a '69 Camaro Convertible.

Will be a 5 speed (or possibly 6 speed) stick.

GMPP does not list a controller for the LS9 crate motor what controller is in a ZR1?

Am I understanding correctly the LS7 crate motor is an E38 so should be able to tune just like a standard Gen IV vehicle like a 2006 and newer vette? Are the controller different between a stick and an automatic or only the calibration.

We are getting a lot of call for LS conversions so am trying to get an understanding of all of the configurations and variables. As well some of the high end car owners want new stuff thus eliminating the doner route.

Cool! E67 in ZR1 and Cadi LSA. All GMPP V8 controllers are E67 to date. ECM is same for stick and auto. Dont hesitate to PM if you want to cover in more detail. :)

TurboCamaro
September 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks GMH308
So all of the crate motors from GMPP use an E67 controller?
That means that even if there isn't one for the LS9 I could buy the LS7 controller and tune accordingly.

ScarabEpic22
September 9th, 2009, 04:30 PM
There is no LS7 or LS9 controller, only the E67 and E38 ECMs. The trans uses a T42 TCM. To run an LS9, buy any old E67 (has to be an 09+ though, weird issues bricking 07-08s with 09+ OSs) and full flash the LS9 OS into it. So yes, buying the E67 GMPP wiring kit should work as long as the wiring is correct. Just flash the OS you want into it.