PDA

View Full Version : 1997 v 6 vortec swap

wyoben
September 15th, 2009, 03:18 AM
First ,I would like to say this is an awesome site ! second I dont know if this is the correct place for this question ...third H-E-L-P.
I have a 1997 chev full size truck witha a toasted vortec 6 engine ,auto trans etc engine #14099890 build date K 29 6 ,I picked up an earlier vortec 6 from a blazer with 35,000 miles on it engine #10227196 build date K 26 3 looks like making it an early 1994 , there looks to be many sensor location differences etc and the 97 has the hall effect dist. as you know the 94 doesnt etc etc etc etc etc etc !will this swap be functional ? should I just use the wiring and pcm and distributor from the 94 blazer etc,or should I just try to swap everything like intake , oil pan,front timing cover w/hall effect p.u. setup (will they even swap out or are there going to be crank differences ),distributor from the 97 ? any and all tips are greatly needed and appreciated I am okay with the tools ,but not the brightest wrench in the box just dont know if it is worth the effort ,or should I send another disposable vehicle to the kia scrap smelter thanks Ben moltobennyg@yahoo.com 307 780 5658

Lextech
September 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM
The 97 intake will not fit on the 94 engine---The intake bolt pattern is different. You could put the 97 Distributor, Crank Reluctor, Timing cover, Crank sensor, Harmonic balancer, Knock sensor and Cylinder heads onto the 94 shortblock. I am not sure about the chamber volume on the V-6 engines. I would imagine that the 97 has smaller chambers than the 94, which would raise the compression. It would probably be better to get the correct replacement engine.

Jeff

wyoben
September 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Lex thanxz for the reply...I thought the reply would come to my e mail ,guess it didnt....I was afraid of this mess in the first place...I dont think it is worth the hassle