PDA

View Full Version : Tuning for Dummies - Will there be a FAQ?

DebianDog
January 6th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Now I am not talking every last detail just a place to look so I can get started. Something like:

Step 1. Get your timing straight go to screen XXX and make sure your running between XXX and XXX. Be sure and look for XXX and no KR

Step 2. Get your A/F ratio right. Go to screen XXX and look for XXX be sure and check XXX

You get the idea :D

Bruce Melton
January 6th, 2005, 06:33 AM
http://www.ls1tuning.com/iboard/

Not to divert your point but his is where I am reading for now.

DebianDog
January 6th, 2005, 08:42 AM
http://www.ls1tuning.com/iboard/

Not to divert your point but his is where I am reading for now.

Well I figured since there is a message board here now... and they make the software.... we would just go ahead and do it here :lol:

That's not crazy is it? I am a fast learner and since I have another car for a daily driver I will be tuning the old LS1 till it is "dead on". Train up 20-30 guys like me, to help others out, and this place will be busier than LS1Tech!

I just though a good "Starting Out FAQ" would be in order....

Blacky
January 6th, 2005, 08:43 AM
The Tuning Tool documentation does not include and "how to" tuning tutorials. It explains how the software works, how to set it up, how to integrate it with the scan tool etc.

There are many tuning tutorials scattered around the net, some very good some, well not so good.

There are also as many ways to tune your PCM as there are modifications you can make to your powertrain.

I know some of our beta testers have been putting together some "intro tuning notes" and those documents, when they are done, will probably be posted on our web site. Meanwhile, as Bruce said, take a look at some of the resources already available.

Regards
Paul

Drake
January 6th, 2005, 09:54 AM
DebianDog, I plan on posting all of my useful findings on this board as I explore and learn the software. I'm totally new to tuning, so hopefully we as a group can help each other out. Here's a link that might help with a lot of the general concepts:

http://www.vetteguru.com/mods/howto/

I'm about to die here waiting for the big brown truck-o-joy. :)

wait4me
January 6th, 2005, 10:06 AM
hi guys if you need any help with the program or anything just email me or go to www.ls1tuning.com and ill try to answer every question there is, if it hasnt been answered already, ive pretty much explained everything at least once if you do a search on my name there, its funny though, the stuff and way they are tuning is what ive been saying for 2 or so years ago now, and they are finnally doing it and making a big deal about it, but somehow they get the credit?? lol ohh well, jes

Blacky
January 6th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Would it be an idea to start a dedicated forum on efilive.com for tuning tips and techniques?
Anyone interested?
Paul

wait4me
January 6th, 2005, 10:44 AM
ill help if you need it :)

87gmc
January 6th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Would it be an idea to start a dedicated forum on efilive.com for tuning tips and techniques?
Anyone interested?
Paul

Are you talking kinda of like HP tuners forum? If so im favor of it :D

Bruce Melton
January 6th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Anyone interested?
Paul

I think it would be great as it has proven popular and active with the brand X
tuning software users.
Not only would it be beneficial for the "Dummies" crowd and the knowldgible tuners, it would likely promote and be an asset for FlashScan as a product.

Drake
January 6th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Absolutely, that sort of forum sounds like a great idea. If you need any help I'd be more than happy to do what I can. No doubt such a forum would be great in helping your development of the software, as well as our understanding.

Off topic, but what's up with the bashers on other LS1 oriented boards as of late? :roll:

GMPX
January 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Off topic, but what's up with the bashers on other LS1 oriented boards as of late? :roll:

Drake,

It's no different to the Mac V's PC argument, if you like one you will bag the other.

What I did to solve the issue......goto favourites......forums......delete.

Cheers,
Ross

wait4me
January 6th, 2005, 11:44 AM
it is pretty rediculous, everyone is so touchy for no reason, you just go and mention something then get flooded with pms about people arguing a point for no reason.. :(

Blacky
January 6th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Forums can be useful for getting quick answers to specific questions or problems.

IMHO, they should not really be used for soapbox posts promoting ideas. Most people have different ideas (and most people don't want to change their own ideas- they are usually looking for people to support them).
It is very easy to misunderstand someone's point of view. I've seen two people argue on the same side of a disagreement where each thought the other was taking an opposing point of view. It was actually quite funny once I realised they were both trying to say the same thing.

I have been sucked into forum-arguments, some of you may remember back in the early days of EFILive's Scan Tool. As one very astute reader put it: Arguing on a forum is like seeing who can jump out of a plane from the highest altitude without a parachute. In the end you'll both lose.

Now I just browse for questions asking specifically about a subject that I know and answer those as briefly as possible.

No more trying to sway opinions on a message board ever again.

P.S. I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion with this post :) :)

Paul

Drake
January 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Oh well, some people are just immature I guess.

Anyway (back on topic) like I said, if you need any help with the new forum I'd be glad to help.

Steve Bryant
January 9th, 2005, 04:24 AM
I believe that a Tuning Topics Forum with a disclaimer like MRK mentioned would be a good idea along with some general guidelines in the form of a down-loadable Tuning Primmer in the downloads section of the website. I will be glad to participate in both.

Regards,

Steve

joecar
January 11th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a very good idea to me; we could all stand to learn more (about our cars).

(Thoughtful and serious expression on my face when I wrote this; is there no emoticon to express this....?)

DebianDog
January 21st, 2005, 05:41 AM
Great. I would get started now but I was too late to get the first batch of cables. :(

Where did we decide to do this?

Blacky
January 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
In the tuning forum on this board - does that work?
Paul

bink
January 21st, 2005, 11:32 AM
Paul
Works for me.
There are many who stop by here and know a bit about tuning.
I'm hoping we can gain a little more knowledge about how that little board (PCM) does everything. :wink:

DebianDog
January 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM
Paul

Yes SIR, that's what I am talking about!