PDA

View Full Version : HELP - PCM DOA after just Reading it

Olympic Fox
September 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I set out today to install the tune I got from SoCal Diesel in our truck.

I started by just reading the PCM. The process hung after about a minute, so I waited for about 5 minutes before pressing the 'Stop' button on the screen.

When I attempted to redo the process, the ScanTune say's there is no calibration in the PCM.

The truck is dead.

Any suggestions on how to get it running again would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

bballer182
September 20th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I'd try just flashing the tune you got in there. see if that works.

Also are you sure you have selected the correct ECM not PCM to read?

GMPX
September 20th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Steve, just pull power to the ECM for 30 seconds or so, you can't kill a ECM by just reading it, don't panic.

The fact that it quit mid way, make sure you have any aftermarket radio equipment off, this always causes problems for people. If it couldn't read the ECM then you are probably going to have the same trouble trying to program it. If it can read it out without a hitch then you will probably be safe to flash.

Olympic Fox
September 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys!

I think the first problem was forgetting to disconnect the aftermarket accessories (Pioneer NAV unit, Parrot BlueTooth phone, Banks SpeedBrake, back up camera, TPMS, . . .) It's going to take a day to disconnect all that stuff!

The wife and I went out there to push the truck into our barn & I thought I'd give it one more try, and it started right up. :cucumber:

Anyone know anybody that's in the NW corner of Washington that's familiar with this? I'd love to have someone walk me through it. Our goal is simple, just have a stock tune and a solid tow tune.

Thanks again,
Steve

GMC-2002-Dmax
September 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM
LLY's are tricky some times.

I have had a few be a PITA to flash.

I usually just pull the radio and info fuses under the hood in the electrical center and put the alarms in bypass mode if they have them

If all else fails I will yank the ecm out and plug the bench harness into it.

:hihi:

Olympic Fox
September 20th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I didn't have a problem making a copy of the stock tune to send to SoCal for my tow tune, however I have not been able to get the ScanTool Dashboard to indicate diddly. It says it's connected and all, yet all of the gauges have lines through their names and do nothing. It would be a PITA if I had to disable all the accessories to us the ScanTool.

Is there a step-by-step check list of the process one needs to follow to swap tunes?

ScarabEpic22
September 20th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Im in Spokane, WA and am from Seattle (head back all the time) so if you need a hand let me know. Havent touched a Dmax yet but pretty sure I can at least help you flash in tunes and whatnot.

Have you selected PIDs in the Scan tool? Try loading a Dmax virtual dash file, the default one is for LS1 controllers. Then hit the yellow button at the bottom to start displaying data, red for logging.

Trippin
September 22nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
The 2005 trucks sometimes need to have the "radio" and "info" fuse pulled under the hood. I'm not sure why, but this is the only year that this issue sometimes pops up on.

killerbee
September 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I think the first problem was forgetting to disconnect the aftermarket accessories (Pioneer NAV unit, Parrot BlueTooth phone, Banks SpeedBrake, back up camera, TPMS, . . .)

plus the AC fan, headlights and running lights on automatic circuits, so shut them off. All these things drop battery voltage in a short period of time I have found, especially if the batteries are weak. In a pinch I have had success flashing with a charger hooked up.