PDA

View Full Version : 2 nagging issues that wont go away...

LS1_Dragster
September 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I did a 0411 computer upgrade on my 97 Yukon with 02020003 OS, Semi-closed loop speed density. All went well and it runs better off idle then it did stock but I have 2 issues that really bug me:

1) After the 1-2 and 2-3 shift it goes dead rich as low as 10:1 then after a few seconds it finally gets to my commanded AFR.

2) The idle is rough and the cam size sound/shake is over exaggerated and does this annoying shudder at idle that shakes the truck.

What I did to try and fix #1:

A) I turned B0701 cat protection to disable
B) B3603 engine protection mode set all to 12.55 AFR
C) B3659 piston protection mode to 12.65 AFR
D) B3606 Max enrichment to 12.25 AFR
E) B6601 Axle torque limit set to disable

It just seems a little sluggish after the shift. What PID's could I log that might help find what's commanding the rich condition?

What I did to try and fix #2:

A) Set idle spark from 15 to 35 degrees with no idle flare settings
B) Same as A but with idle flare settings set to stock
c) Played with B3702 Injection timing
D) Set idle speed from 750 to 950 RPM

Keep in mind that for the past 12 years the truck idled like a dream, in fact when I put the cam in it I was bummed at the time that the sound didn't change from stock, I wanted it to sound like it does today! But now I'm older I just want it to purr. The cam is only a 212 @ .050, .498 lift 114 CL.

So why would making this change to the new computer and SD the idle is so radical? Also, I need to mention that the Firebird with a 454 and the 0411 computer is the same way, the idle sounds like it has a cam that's in the 270 @.050 when it fact it's only 224 @ .050, so the same thing is affecting that setup.

Could the injectors be firing out of phase?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lee

ChipsByAl
September 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
The VE table from the G-Van (base file) is way different from most other applications. I saw your VE table is much more aggressive, have you already done the AutoVE process? Is the cam sensor timing set correct?
Al

LS1_Dragster
September 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I have done the AutoVE and it's as perfect as it can get, at least most the time! (just not after the shifts)

I've logged the cam sensor PID and it's right around -1.5 if I remember right.

LS1_Dragster
September 25th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I figured out #2 above.

This is a conversion to a 0411 computer on my 97 Yukon and the new computer has no provision to operate an EGR valve. I left the wiring plugged into the EGR valve. Well it turns out that when I unplug the wiring you can hear the solenoid release and the trucks idle jumped 500RPM and went real lean. I'm not sure why I even unplugged it but I'm sure glad I did! The truck idles like it used to and all my VE tuning has gone out the window and I have to start over again.

I'm not sure if it will fix the rich condition after the shifts though. Once I get it close to tuned I will go out and flog it, hopefully it fixed both issues even though I cant see why it would...

Lee

hquick
September 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM
EGR on the 0411 should go to RED connector pin 41.

When I open your tune (I'm running the same OS with my 98-0411 swap) I get:

Out of Range calibration summary: 02:41:57 pm, Sunday Sep 27, 2009

Engine Calibration.Transient Fuel.Throttle Stomp
{B9115} Stomp Make Up Fuel, was out of range when loaded

LS1_Dragster
September 27th, 2009, 07:32 AM
The instructions I received indicated there is no EGR provisons, I will check that out.

I just downloaded the tune on my post and I do not get any errors. In fact I dont even see B9115 in that tune. What's going on here?

Lee

Lextech
September 27th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Instruction #6 of the 97 to 12200411 Wiring File---If you are keeping the EGR installed and functional, you will need to cut the pink wire at the EGR connector and tuck it back into the harness---THE PINK WIRE WILL NOT BE USED. Run a wire from the short/cut Pink wire of the EGR connector directly to the 0411 C2-7.

B9115 only comes up that way because Howard has the .cax file installed into his software for throttle stomp. If you don't have that .cax installed you don't get the out of range error.

Jeff

LS1_Dragster
September 27th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I'll look at the notes I have, thanks fo rthe input.

Also, how do I get the .cax file that would allow me to correct the problem?

hquick
September 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Jeff.

LS1Dragster....if you want the .CAX files...email me and I'll send you what I have.

Lextech
September 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Actually it isn't a problem. If the .cax file is installed into the software then it will show some additional parameters. With the .cax installed B9115 is either Enable/Disable. Since the tune you have applies to the .cax that parameter shows up with numbers in it instead of Enable/Disable. I don't know why---I don't understand all of that stuff. There is a .cax file subforum that explains it much better than I can. It also has the .cax files to download and how to apply them.

Jeff

hquick
September 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I think the .CAX files we have are different to those in that sub-forum Jeff.
I think I set yours to be the same as mine when I was over there.
This means we have the extra parameters which Mick enabled as well as those Ross included in the software update.

LS1_Dragster
September 27th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I got the new .cax file and since it had the wrong value in B5119 does this mean the stomp features were not working all this time?

Also, if you get a real lean spike every time you hit the throttle hard, what tables should I focus on to reduce this?

Lee

hquick
September 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Some of the .CAX parameters will be doubleds up if you have the latest software release also.
I altered my .CAX files so as to have the 'Transient' parameters created by Mick which Ross didn't include in the 'Dynamics' section of the software.
Not sure what would happen with doubled up parameters.
I found 'Impact Factor Modifier' to be the most useful parameter in reducing the lean tip in.

LS1_Dragster
September 27th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Does the impact factor modifier B9116 work with MAF or does it work with SD?

Does B3426 stomp compensation act like an accelerator pump? Increase the number for a larger squirt?

And then B3428 regulate how long the squirt is? I'm just guessing here but by the name alone it seems logical but I played with it a little bit with no results so I wonder since I didn't have B5119 at the time I wonder if it was activated...

joecar
September 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM
If you already had the Dynamics folder in the tunetool, then get rid of the cax file.

hquick
September 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM
There are more parameters in the .CAX file than there are in the Dynamics folder Joe.

5.7ute
September 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM
There are more parameters in the .CAX file than there are in the Dynamics folder Joe.

I just edited the cax file to put all the parameters together in Ross's folder, and deleted the doubles.
FWIW having them doubled up didnt appear to cause any problems.

LS1_Dragster
September 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Interesting note after turning off the EGR from being on the entire time:

The truck is not as zippy as before! My AFR's are the same and so is timing but the truck it real smooth but lazy. Any ideas why? Before it was almost annoying how zippy it was, you had to barely feather the throttle or the truck would jump.

Lee