PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to RR fix

DrX
September 26th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Posting for future reference...because by next week I will have forgotten.

When I tried to connect I got the RR USB device not found message. I could connect the FlashScan scanner to the RR and log. If I tried to flash through the FlashScan I got the bootloader rejected/PCM locked message.

Seemed like an issue with the RR and FlashScan drivers. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling all USB devices and even tried installing the RR before FlashScan as suggested on here with no effect on the problem.

I wondered if there was a conflict with the USB/Serial adapter driver I had installed to connect to my LC1s for a firmware reflash, as the RR is also USB/Serial. I had issues getting that adapter to work as well. There were no ports showing in the Device Manager when the RR was connected.

I used FTClean to clean any references to FTDI drivers off my system, connected the RR and specified the RR drivers for the reinstall, then connected the FlashScan and specified the EFILive drivers. Everything is back to functioning properly now. Will probably have to go through the same process if I ever need to use the USB/serial adapter again.

So, if anyone has similar issues, ensure that you use FTClean before reinstalling your USB devices. Just following the update driver or uninstall/reinstall process may not work.

mr.prick
September 26th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Were you trying to flash through the DLC like a "standard" PCM?
The bootloader rejected/PCM locked message will pop up if you try this.
You can't flash the RR through the DLC it must be done directly via USB.

Were you using a USB/Serial converter with the RR?
If there was a problem with USB connection the error will be
"No RoadRunner USB device can be found"

TFZ_Z06
September 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Posting for future reference...because by next week I will have forgotten.

When I tried to connect I got the RR USB device not found message. I could connect the FlashScan scanner to the RR and log. If I tried to flash through the FlashScan I got the bootloader rejected/PCM locked message.

Seemed like an issue with the RR and FlashScan drivers. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling all USB devices and even tried installing the RR before FlashScan as suggested on here with no effect on the problem.

I wondered if there was a conflict with the USB/Serial adapter driver I had installed to connect to my LC1s for a firmware reflash, as the RR is also USB/Serial. I had issues getting that adapter to work as well. There were no ports showing in the Device Manager when the RR was connected.

I used FTClean to clean any references to FTDI drivers off my system, connected the RR and specified the RR drivers for the reinstall, then connected the FlashScan and specified the EFILive drivers. Everything is back to functioning properly now. Will probably have to go through the same process if I ever need to use the USB/serial adapter again.

So, if anyone has similar issues, ensure that you use FTClean before reinstalling your USB devices. Just following the update driver or uninstall/reinstall process may not work.

Thanks for the info. I'm a RR user and a Moates programmer for other devices. Did you check to see if Window's FTDI Driver was in VCP or Native(Virtual Com Port) mode and that the EFI Software settings matched?

If you look in the windows device manager, look for something like the following:

The following is an example of another MOATES (RR LIKE) FTDI based DEVICE in VCP Mode: . If your not in VCP mode, the driver is NATIVE (using ftd2xx.dll) and windows will only see a connection under Universal Serial Bus Controllers otherwise will look like this:

GENERIC_DEVICE 1.2.Q FT232R USB UART A2002lgT 04036001 02D177C1
Ports (Com & LPT)
Caption: USB Serial Port (COM8)
DeviceID: FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+A2002LGTA\0000
Manufacturer: FTDI
Name: USB Serial Port (COM8)
Service: FTSER2K
ClassGUID: {4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Universal Serial Bus Controllers

DrX
September 26th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Were you trying to flash through the DLC like a "standard" PCM?
The bootloader rejected/PCM locked message will pop up if you try this.
You can't flash the RR through the DLC it must be done directly via USB.
That is likely correct, just thought I would give it a try.

Were you using a USB/Serial converter with the RR?
If there was a problem with USB connection the error will be
"No RoadRunner USB device can be found" .

The RR was showing up as a USB/serial converter in the device manager. I had reccently installed a separate USB/serial converter to flash the LC1's, one of which has gone bonkers again today. The converter was not connected concurrently with the RR.

DrX
September 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm a RR user and a Moates programmer for other devices. Did you check to see if Window's FTDI Driver was in VCP or Native(Virtual Com Port) mode and that the EFI Software settings matched?

If you look in the windows device manager, look for something like the following:

The following is an example of another MOATES (RR LIKE) FTDI based DEVICE in VCP Mode: . If your not in VCP mode, the driver is NATIVE (using ftd2xx.dll) and windows will only see a connection under Universal Serial Bus Controllers otherwise will look like this:

GENERIC_DEVICE 1.2.Q FT232R USB UART A2002lgT 04036001 02D177C1
Ports (Com & LPT)

Universal Serial Bus Controllers

There was no "Ports" heading in the Device tree when the RR was connected. Now there is.

There was a "Ports" heading when I connected the USB/serial adapter that I used with the LC1's.

TFZ_Z06
September 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
There was no "Ports" heading in the Device tree when the RR was connected. Now there is.

There was a "Ports" heading when I connected the USB/serial adapter that I used with the LC1's.

You may only need to check the VCP Box if a different port number was assigned.

My Computer->View System Information->Hardware->Device Manager->
Universal Serial Bus Controllers->Right click properties on device->Advanced->
Check VCP Box.

http://home.comcast.net/~booth.p/vcp.jpg

DrX
September 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM
You may only need to check the VCP Box if a different port number was assigned.

My Computer->View System Information->Hardware->Device Manager->
Universal Serial Bus Controllers->Right click properties on device->Advanced->
Check VCP Box.

No port was assigned. I will keep that in mind.