PDA

View Full Version : Error BBR 98 PCM

Ninety8C5
October 3rd, 2009, 05:43 AM
I read two 98 PCM's successfully (?) (after reformatting the SD Card). One works with the Tune tool okay the other one gives me an error message when I load it into the Tune tool, but it does allow me to look at it. I've attached the error information and the tune (.ctd) files zipped. The LS1_0005 file is the one that gives me the error. The LS1_0006 seems to be okay. I used the verification step on both files.

Ninety8C5
October 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
If I read the bad (?) PCM with the PC everything looks good. I just noticed two recent Bug reports, so I've included them also.

Ninety8C5
October 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
:nixweiss:

Biodiesel66
October 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Try and read it to the internal memory and see if you have the same problem?

Blacky
October 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I have your files but have not analyzed them yet. I'll be getting to the 98's by the end of the week.
It may be a faulty file system on your SD card or internal memory. Try reformatting whichever memory you are saving the files to before reading the file from the vehicle.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
October 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I formatted another SD card and had the same problem. I emailed the files to you on 10/08.

Any progress on this ? :nixweiss:

Ninety8C5
December 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I updated to the latest builds (100 & 80) and upgraded my firmware to 2.06.19 and when I tried to read my two spare 98 PCMs I got an error $0502 'script file not found'. When I looked at the 'Options.txt' file I found this:

*TUNE_SELECTIONS
;
;Caption Active Module
;----------------- ------ ------
F/Y Body|97/98, Y, LS1A_A
LS1 99+|, Y, LS1B
E40|, Y, E40

I removed th "_A" from 'LS1A_A' and now I can read the PCMs, however one still reads good and the other does not. The good read is the LS1_0004.zip file and the LS1_0005.zip is the bad read.

Thanks.

Ninety8C5
December 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I got an error code $051A length of file incorrect or something like that after the LS1_0005 read and I saved a trace file (USR_0007.zip)

Blacky
December 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Can you switch on BBXStats in the FlashScan Setup screen.
The retry reading the failed PCM. See if the Stats show any retries which indicates comms issues.

I'll fix the Options.txt file - thanks for finding that.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
December 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.ls1tech.com/get/forums/images/smilies/myhijacked2.gif

About the options.txt
I could not drag and drop PIDs to it. :confused:
I ended up using the last one I had after the new formatting update.
Is this OK?

GAMEOVER
December 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.ls1tech.com/get/forums/images/smilies/myhijacked2.gif

About the options.txt
Is this OK?

I had to do the same thing...weird:shock:

Blacky
December 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM

About the options.txt
Is this OK?

It should be ok, each time you save the Options.txt file it re-creates the entire file so once you do one save, then its format will be up to date with the current software.

Are you saying that you can't drag/drop PIDs in the BBL setup window?
I'm checking that out now...

Paul

joecar
December 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
You mean like this (see attached)...

I was trying to add pids to a pid list (LS1B|more) that I had just created...

but the yellow box has only those pids, and they are all greyed out (can't be selected nor dragged).

(I could add pids to pre-existing pidlists ok)

mr.prick
December 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Are you saying that you can't drag/drop PIDs in the BBL setup window?
I'm checking that out now...

Paul

Yes.
Using my old options.txt I could so that's what I'm using.

Blacky
December 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Doh! Its a bug, sorry. Fixing it now...
Paul

Ninety8C5
December 18th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Can you switch on BBXStats in the FlashScan Setup screen.
The retry reading the failed PCM. See if the Stats show any retries which indicates comms issues.

I'll fix the Options.txt file - thanks for finding that.

Regards
Paul

I just re-read the PCM and got the same failure. The number of retries was '0'. I'm going to re-flash the PCM and see if that does anything.

Ninety8C5
December 18th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I did a full flash on the suspected bad PCM and the BBR failed the same way. When I tried to open it with Tune, I got an error message ' EFILive cannot load the file...... The binary image is not a valid binary size'. I was able to open the file after a read with the previous firmware.

I also read the tune with my PC (PCR) connected and the read is fine and opens okay with Tune. I've attached both files.

Thanks.

Blacky
December 18th, 2009, 08:54 AM
The PCM in question has been modified using some other tuning software or by someone editing the bin directly.

The PCM has modified data in an area where no modified data is expected to be. The EFILive PC software handles the extra data correctly. The BBR firmware is ignoring the extra data and that is causing problems.

I am trying to figure out why the BBR software is not handling the extra data correctly. So for now, you can't use BBR on that PCM. I'll get it fixed asap.

For your info, I'll send you a PM with the contents of the extra data.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
December 18th, 2009, 10:54 AM
The PCM in question has been modified using some other tuning software or by someone editing the bin directly.

The PCM has modified data in an area where no modified data is expected to be. The EFILive PC software handles the extra data correctly. The BBR firmware is ignoring the extra data and that is causing problems.

I am trying to figure out why the BBR software is not handling the extra data correctly. So for now, you can't use BBR on that PCM. I'll get it fixed asap.

For your info, I'll send you a PM with the contents of the extra data.

Regards
Paul

I checked and that informtion is what is in the 'Comments' section of the 'tune' that I programmed it with. I will try to flash it with a 'tune' with no comments and let you know how I make out.

Thanks,
Walter

Blacky
December 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I checked and that informtion is what is in the 'Comments' section of the 'tune' that I programmed it with. I will try to flash it with a 'tune' with no comments and let you know how I make out.

Thanks,
Walter

Well that is strange. EFILive would not be writing those comments into the PCM's flash.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
December 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I reprogrammed the PCM with a tune that had the 'Comments' section blank/empty. I then did a BBR and the read was fine and I was able to open it using 'Tune'. :fluffy:

I'm totally confused as I thought that the 'Comments' section wasn't flashed to the PCM and was for information purposes only. :nixweiss:

Let me know if you need any additional testing done on the 98 PCMs.

Thanks,
Walter

Blacky
December 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I reprogrammed the PCM with a tune that had the 'Comments' section blank/empty. I then did a BBR and the read was fine and I was able to open it using 'Tune'. :fluffy:

I'm totally confused as I thought that the 'Comments' section wasn't flashed to the PCM and was for information purposes only. :nixweiss:

Thanks,
Walter

I'm confused too. I'll try the same thing here...
I know very early on we toyed with the idea of adding the comments to the flash, but I don't think we ever did. Maybe some old, long-dead code has come back to haunt me....
I'll let you know what I find.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
December 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'm confused too. I'll try the same thing here...
I know very early on we toyed with the idea of adding the comments to the flash, but I don't think we ever did. Maybe some old, long-dead code has come back to haunt me....
I'll let you know what I find.

Regards
Paul

Uh oh, code zombies are haunting Paul this holiday season...:angel_innocent:

Blacky
December 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Thanks,
Walter

I tried a bunch of different combos on a 97/98 PCM here. I could not make the comments appear in the flash memory of the PCM. I'm 99.999% certain that it is not EFILive doing that. Is it possible some other software has been used on that PCM in the past (i.e. LS1Edit)? Once those comments are in there, EFILive will not remove them.

Can you re-read the PCM using the PC pass-through reading option and the BBR and send them both to me again please?
I'd like to compare the two files now that BBR appears to be working.
I'd also like to see if those comments are still in the flash.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
December 19th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I tried a bunch of different combos on a 97/98 PCM here. I could not make the comments appear in the flash memory of the PCM. I'm 99.999% certain that it is not EFILive doing that. Is it possible some other software has been used on that PCM in the past (i.e. LS1Edit)? Once those comments are in there, EFILive will not remove them.

Can you re-read the PCM using the PC pass-through reading option and the BBR and send them both to me again please?
I'd like to compare the two files now that BBR appears to be working.
I'd also like to see if those comments are still in the flash.

Regards
Paul

Paul,

I did as you asked and sent it all in an email to support with 'Error BBR 98 PCM ATTN: Paul' in the Subject line.

Thanks,
Walter

Blacky
December 19th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Its a bug in the software that only got triggered by the extra comments in that PCM's flash. We've fixed the bug and it will be available in the next pre-release.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
December 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I guess all the data I sent was helpful and I'm glad you found the problem.

Ninety8C5
December 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
I updated the firmware in the V2 to FSProgV2_06.21 and was able to read the 'Bad' PCM without any problems and could open the read file with 'Tune'. :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

joecar
December 21st, 2009, 12:52 PM
Cool...:cheers:...Thanks Ninety8C5 for your test efforts.

Ninety8C5
December 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
I updated to the latest builds (100 & 80) and upgraded my firmware to 2.06.19 and when I tried to read my two spare 98 PCMs I got an error $0502 'script file not found'. When I looked at the 'Options.txt' file I found this:

*TUNE_SELECTIONS
;
;Caption Active Module
;----------------- ------ ------
F/Y Body|97/98, Y, LS1A_A
LS1 99+|, Y, LS1B
E40|, Y, E40

I removed th "_A" from 'LS1A_A' and now I can read the PCMs, however one still reads good and the other does not. The good read is the LS1_0004.zip file and the LS1_0005.zip is the bad read.

Thanks.

I updated to build 101 & 81 and the "_A" is in the new 'Options.txt' file. :doh2: