PDA

View Full Version : Tuning LBZ Elevated Idle

Philbilly2
October 4th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Ok, here is my problem. The LLY's have a spot in the tuning software where you are able to tune the elevated idle. This is somthing that I like to do with my trucks as it simply put raises the oil pressure up to a spot that makes me feel better.

What I have done on the LLY's is tune it so at any temp the elevated idle increases to 900rpm. More or less, the truck always evelates the idle untill you step on the pedal, then it lowers it back to a safe range to sel

Problem:
I just bought an 07 Classic and would like to tune it to ramp up the elevated idle all the time like my other trucks.

This table is not available on the LBZ tuning that I can find.

Is this an option that I can find elsewere in the tuning software????

GMPX
October 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
It's something we have been looking to add for a while, the necessary parameters will be added in at some stage.

Philbilly2
October 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM
That is the same reponce I that I just got from Cindy with EFI live. She said that the tables will be added hopfully later this year.

maxxflip
October 9th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Can it not be done with B0701? Desired base idle speed dependent on engine coolant temperature.
or is that LMM specific?

Philbilly2
October 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Not really the right table to mod. That would increase the total idle speed on the motor. Making that say 1200 rpm for instance would make the truck rather undriveable on the street as while your sitting at a light, it would be at 1200 rpm and trying to blow through the brakes.

What I am trying to do is just mod the elevated idle speed to make it idle up when the truck sits for like 30 seconds and the elevated idle would normally come on, then when you apply the brake, it will automaticlly decline allowing you to drive the truck normal.

maxxflip
October 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Mine no longer has elevated idle GM did away with it so thats all i have
gonna try bumping it up a couple hundred rpm @ 156*f and see if that will help keep the temp up

Philbilly2
October 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
what year is your truck? I have not heard of any trucks that they have done away with the Elevated Idle on. Is it just not showing in your DIC?

maxxflip
October 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
08 its not on the DIC there was a tsb for cold climates something to do with insufficent fluid flow below -30*C and it was killing trannys (i heard 4000 in alberta) so they got rid of it i guess IDK
It was there last winter,truck was @ dealer in may, havent needed it since last winter and went to turn it on the other day and it was not on the DIC did some research and thats when i found out about the TSB

maxxflip
October 10th, 2009, 01:53 PM
It works for warming the truck up i have it set to ramp up to 1200 untill 156*F
then back to norm

GMPX
October 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM
That is the same reponce I that I just got from Cindy with EFI live. She said that the tables will be added hopfully later this year.Well, at least we gave you the same answer, so it must be true :)

Philbilly2
October 11th, 2009, 06:39 AM
It works for warming the truck up i have it set to ramp up to 1200 untill 156*F
then back to norm

So you are saying that you changed the table so the high idle runs untill the coolant temp reaches 156 then your idle declines to the factory table settings. http://www.yoursmiles.org/tsmile/no/t2608.gif

So have you tried to shift your truck into gear while your coolant temp is at 150 degrees yet??? http://www.yoursmiles.org/tsmile/fear/t3603.gif

xmadmax
October 11th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Problem:
I just bought an 07 Classic and would like to tune it to ramp up the elevated idle all the time like my other trucks.

This table is not available on the LBZ tuning that I can find.

Is this an option that I can find elsewere in the tuning software????

just to let you know, i have a high idle/PTO switch on my truck and the first setting is 800 rpm and there is little to no change in oil pressure (at least from my factory gauge, which i guess is not very accurate) from regular idle to 800rpm. If i bump it to 1200 then it does increase.

maxxflip
October 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
So you are saying that you changed the table so the high idle runs untill the coolant temp reaches 156 then your idle declines to the factory table settings. http://www.yoursmiles.org/tsmile/no/t2608.gif

So have you tried to shift your truck into gear while your coolant temp is at 150 degrees yet??? http://www.yoursmiles.org/tsmile/fear/t3603.gif

Ya for now still playing around with gonna drop to the next lower temp setting and max out the cold vane position to help warm up
Right now it @ 900 rpm @ 156 F and its not bad going into gear
still got some tweaking to do
oh and dont shake your head at me we all know its not good to idle a diesel at 140F ect for lonng periods

Philbilly2
October 12th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Ya for now still playing around with gonna drop to the next lower temp setting and max out the cold vane position to help warm up
Right now it @ 900 rpm @ 156 F and its not bad going into gear
still got some tweaking to do
oh and dont shake your head at me we all know its not good to idle a diesel at 140F ect for lonng periods

I am not shaking my head at what you are trying to do or why you are trying to do it, I am shaking my head and questioning your approch at it.

You need to have a way to decrease your idle before you shift into gear. Making the factory idle tables hold a RPM that is not good to be shifting trans into gear non is it good for driving as it will try to push through the brakes. As we have found the elevated idle tables are not in the current EFILive software, maybe a PTO high idle is the route that we need to take untill the software is updated and the elevated idle can be tuned to what it needs to be tuned to for a clean shift into gear.

Brian1
October 12th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Take a look at this post using MM3 to control Idle. It might help than messing with the idle table. http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8875

Brian

Brian1
October 12th, 2009, 07:16 AM
To EFLive. Can you view other parts of the ECM tune and see differences that you currently don't have tables for. I assume the tune data there is more there than you are dealing with. So if you had xmadmax tune if 8594 and maxflip 8594. But i say the DIC is a BCM related item. Be nice someday someone come up with a tuner for BCM than a Tech II.

Edit: never mind I see you are aware of it and someday may include it.

Brian

KB3MMX
February 12th, 2014, 03:53 AM
It's something we have been looking to add for a while, the necessary parameters will be added in at some stage.

Resurrecting an old thread but wondering if there has been any progress in making this table available in the software for LBZ&LMM?

I have a "work around" solution with a high idle PTO switch but tuning in the software is more desirable.....and automated.

Thanks!

chrisuns
November 29th, 2015, 08:58 PM
^X2, curious if you guess have any plans for this or if the idea has been scrapped. I would love to activated it around 50F for the "cold" Texas winters =D

SASDakota
December 1st, 2015, 05:11 AM
Thread is almost 6yrs old. I doubt they are going to spend more time on this controller.

KB3MMX
January 5th, 2016, 05:40 AM
High idle switch is the easiest and doesn't require any wasted tuning slots in the DSP5