PDA

View Full Version : New best times for the LS1 dragster

LS1_Dragster
October 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I'm so impressed with this little LS1, we just got back from Boise's Firebird raceway and the new best et was 8.705@154! This is a 2000 5.7 with 62K miles and PRC 2.5 heads and MS3 cam, very mild setup. There are a bunch of big block dragsters running a lot slower.

Lee

mr.prick
October 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Sweet.
How much does that thing weigh and does it have A/C? :hihi:

vxchev8
October 12th, 2009, 12:57 AM
nice work Lee

LS1_Dragster
October 12th, 2009, 03:43 AM
It's naturally A/C'd! Next year I'm doing away with all the typical buttons and switches and letting the computer control the fuel pump and fan. This way it should be the same temp at the starting line every time. I was joking about using an ignition key on the dash to start it!! I just might... It would probably really piss off the hard core dragster folks. We already get a bunch of crap using the LS1 mainly because it's so ugly and not a typical chromed and beautiful engine most of them have (and the fact I'm a fraction of the cost), I will try and get it looking nicer this winter.

I'm also going to put a little vortech blower and alternator on it this winter.

Lee

joecar
October 12th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Good job Lee...:cheers:

It's naturally A/C'd! ...LOL.

The objective of a dragrace is to trap with the lowest ET (maybe within a bracket)...
so how does beautiful chrome and clean appearance achieve this...?

The LS1 may look ugly to most people, but consider than all the components are placed in optimal locations,
so it is a work of art to an engineer. :)

GMPX
October 12th, 2009, 10:23 AM
We already get a bunch of crap using the LS1 mainly because it's so ugly and not a typical chromed and beautiful engine most of them have (and the fact I'm a fraction of the cost)Chrome engine parts don't make horsepower. I'm with Joe, the old school folks don't like the LS1 because they don't understand it. My brother in law often talks about the 350 Chev he's going to build up for he's Nova, I think he's up to about $6K in parts, I told him for half that he could have done an LS1 that would still be making more power :doh2: He's reasoning is that the LS1 is too 'messy', Mmmm, didn't know he was thinking about a clear hood too!
Nice time anyway.

SS2win
October 13th, 2009, 01:26 AM
funny that anyone would call the LS1 ugly. it's just plain sexy to me.

Congrats on showing them their future engine...

Mr. P.
October 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Suuhhhhweeeeet!!! There's another dragster back east running a STOCK LQ4 bottom-end in the low 8's, shifting well over 7500-rpm LOL. I love the LS motors, truly a miracle of modern engineering. AFA dress-up, we'll have to get you a set of the plastic 3-piece Cadillac dressup covers hahaha.

Mr. P. :)

LS1_Dragster
October 14th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I would love to see his setup, do you have a site I can go to? Is it naturally aspirated? I hope to run low 8's with the vortech blower. I'm just going to replace the pistons, rings and rods this winter and hope for the best.

Lee

Chevy366
October 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Pretty good , we were at the track 2 weeks ago for the Pro Mods and there were 4 big blocks dragsters there , best time ran was 149 , temp was 68* .
The Pro Mods was 192 , got to love the 14/71s , there were a couple of turbos , but not as quick as the blown motors .

Mr. P.
October 15th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I would love to see his setup, do you have a site I can go to? Is it naturally aspirated? I hope to run low 8's with the vortech blower. I'm just going to replace the pistons, rings and rods this winter and hope for the best.

Lee

http://www.hardcorels1.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2701&highlight=dragster
http://www.hardcorels1.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=933&highlight=dragster

I misspoke - this rail runs in the mid-8s too, I remembered wrongly that he was running faster than that - my bad.

Bottom-end: great idea; the piston pins are the chief offender, get lightweight tool steel pins and that will eliminate most of the problem. The stock rods are actually a lot stronger than most give credit, a lot of street guys just replace the rod bolts and make out ok. Too bad the stock rods can't be resized :(

We get 5600-lb extended-cab trucks in the low 11's with a T-trim, and you've got almost 4000-lb weight advantage LOL. I would think low-8s would be a gimme!

Mr. P. :)

LS1_Dragster
October 15th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I've had a few people tell me to leave the rods stock since I'm not going to RPM it very high but we'll see.

Also, the supercharger is an old S-Trim off my Yukon, it's kind of small so I'm shooting for reasonable expectations so I'm not disappointed!

Great, looks like I got him beat in MPH!! Our dragster is long and heavy and possibly the wrong converter, even though his 60' was only a few thou better. Also, I only spin it to 6800RPM with 4.10 gears and he's at 7500RPM. He must have 4.56 or 4.88, that explains the quicker et and higher RPM's.

Look at the graph, you can see the LS1 does not have enough torque to keep the RPM's up at the launch. It flashes to 5500RPM then pulls down to 5200RPM by the 60' mark. I either need more converter or gear but since I'm already at 6800 at the finish line more gear isn't the answer.

I was going to have the converter re stalled to 6000RPM but since I'm doing the blower I'm just going to leave it a lone for now.

http://www.horsepowerracing.com/dragster_graph.jpg