PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons on 2 ECM's

LostCause
October 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I am new to the duramax scene. I have owned 4 Cummins and just recently went to a 2009 GMC 3500 and i am loving it. I have been doing some reading about custom tunning and I am a little worried about the ECM logging tunes. For warranty reasons. Is it safe to purchase a new Ecm and tune it and save the stock one for warranty work. Also will the stock ECM log power cycles when removed, mileage and so forth. Thanks

rcr1978
October 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM
It has a regen counter, It might clear under certain cirumstances maybe a dealer reflash I think but not for sure. There is a few others related to regens but I beleve mileage is in the BCM or cluster. Most tech's are looking to get their job done under time given so if there is nothing obvious I don't think much digging will be going on.

LostCause
October 15th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the info

rcr1978
October 16th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I forgot to mention I think the 09 TCM logs peak torque input so you may need another TCM also. This is just what I have heard and I cannot verify it. Just to let it be known I'm not posting this info to rip off the GM but the stories about people getting denied warranty on stuff not even pertaining to aftermarket parts but are getting denied just because they are there really irritates me.

LostCause
October 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM
So pretty much if the dealer digs deep enough he or she can find some discrepancy's between modules and could possibly void the warranty.

killerbee
October 18th, 2009, 01:14 AM
The dealer can do that because he doesn't like your cologne.

Nonetheless, this is one of the big reasons that folks want the 2nd ECM. It is also not a bad idea to have one in the XC survival kit.

Max Power
October 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM
According to my dealer they could care less what they find and it's not up to them to go hunting. They tell me that they are required to send GM a snapshot for almost any powertrain related warranty. I doubt GM is reviewing each snap shot but I am sure they would for anything a major. Head gaskets, cracked, piston, cooked tranny etc.

LostCause
October 20th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys for the information