PDA

View Full Version : Engine Trans Dyno Tuning Questions!

TBMSport
October 24th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hey guys,

Several questions.

First the plan, I'm looking into setting up a Gen IV (or Gen III converted motor) on a test stand with an electronic transmission (a 6L50/80/90 variety) to test some things.

Now I know the new CAN system plugs a lot of things in, so I'm curious about a few things regarding the ECM.

First, can the E67 can be 'programmed/tuned' to run the engine and/or tranny stand only (i.e. out of the vehicle) to ignore all 'vehicle' modules?

Off hand I'm thinking the only thing I'll need to add to this test stand (besides obviously the engine sensors) will be an interchangeable 'pedal sensor' for throttle application. I'm thinking the VSS on the tranny should be enough input for the tranny to go through its cycles without issues.

Second, am I correct in thinking that to take a Gen III engine to a Gen IV (as far as the ECM is concerned) requires swapping out the 24X crank reluctor ring to a 58x and changing the 2x Cam Sprocket to a 4x?

ScarabEpic22
October 24th, 2009, 01:17 PM
You can run the E67 standalone easily, turn VATS off and apply the patch.

TBMSport
November 14th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Cool...thanks man!

TBMSport
November 14th, 2009, 12:27 AM
What's the minimum EFILive package that I need to do this? Or can I just have a local tuner flash the ECM?

dfe1
November 14th, 2009, 03:56 AM
How are you going to control the trans? E67 has engine control capabilities only. If you're going to use an electronic trans, you'll need a trans controller. Depending on the trans, some controllers are built in, others are separate.

MyM8V8
November 14th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Some Gen IV's have a 24x reluctor.

TBMSport
November 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
How are you going to control the trans? E67 has engine control capabilities only. If you're going to use an electronic trans, you'll need a trans controller. Depending on the trans, some controllers are built in, others are separate.

Just plan to let the trans run on its on...don't plan to mod or tune it.

ScarabEpic22
November 14th, 2009, 12:18 PM
What's the minimum EFILive package that I need to do this? Or can I just have a local tuner flash the ECM?

EFILive Scan and Tune V2. You can have a local tuner flash it but believe me you'll be better off buying it and playing with it yourself. Plus then you dont have to pay a tuner to come over every time you need to make a small change in the tune. It could be as easy as doing one flash to kill the VATS but in all reality you'll be playing with the tune a bunch to make it work.

He's looking to use the 6L80/90E so the T43 is built in.

Some Gen IV's have a 24x reluctor.

Yep, this setup will be only be for 58x guys for now until someone makes a 24->58x box (like the Lingenfelter 58->24x but reversed).

Just plan to let the trans run on its on...don't plan to mod or tune it.

You're going to probably end up tuning it, but yes initially leave it just as GM produced it to make sure everything is compatible.

TBMSport
November 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Yep, this setup will be only be for 58x guys for now until someone makes a 24->58x box (like the Lingenfelter 58->24x but reversed).

Working on an adapter kit for that.:fluffy:

MyM8V8
November 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Working on an adapter kit for that.:fluffy:

I thought that box worked both ways?